Anyone use 9's anymore?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by eno55, Apr 13, 2011.

1. FredJr

FredJr Tele-Meister

Jaguars have a 24" scale - seems to me that there you need the larger gauges to prevent the flopsies :lol:

2. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Tele-Meister

I have 009s on my Jag as well.

3. FredJr

FredJr Tele-Meister

THAT is way cool :D I never woulda thought that was possible - when I played a Jag I used 11s and then 10s but never 9s - If I had one now I would definitely try it.

Dang, now I miss my Jaguar :cry: - I had a 1968 with block inlays in the neck. I never shoulda sold it (how many times have we said or heard that :confused:)

4. jvanhorn

jvanhorn Tele-Meister

Me too. Ernie Ball pure nickel. I do make a sllight modification. I throw out the .38 and put on a .40. The .38 just does not have enough bass for my taste. Other than that no problem whatsoever.

5. banjohabit

banjohabit Tele-Holic

the touch IS the deal. i play bare-fingered and that probably has a lot to do with the heavier strings sounding better on my axe. it had never occured to me before in the electric context but i also play a WAY heavier set-up on banjo than most guys. LOL!! when they pick mine up i can usually silently mouth their first comment: " how do you PLAY this thing?! UGH!!" of course with that heavy-duty banjo set-up i can peel paint off of walls and run any three guitar pickers out of the room, (if i want to). but i don't set it up that way for the volume, it's for the tone and TOUCH.

6. Twang Chung

Twang Chung TDPRI Member

I have 3 teles. The 72 deluxe is .08 the highway one is .09 and the GC MIM BSB is .10. No real rhyme or reason. Just whatever strikes my fancy at the string racks. I do tend to go with Ernie Ball 90% of the time as they seem to be the cheapest. I spend a ton of cash on guitars then buy the cheapy strings. Lol

7. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

I also play fingerstyle electric and just switched from 10's to 9's. I would argue that everyone's touch is different, and so is resulting tone. I'm actually getting more oomph since moving to lighter strings. YMMV.

8. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

True. That was 1/2 of the issue though. The saddles on a Jaguar will shake themselves loose leading to an unintonated guitar if there is not enough down force on the bridge by the strings. So shimming of the neck was part of the fix but the heavier strings also helped make the bridge slightly more stable as well.

9. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

The tele I just bought was strung with 9s and it played great.... 9s are usually a little light for me, but, perhaps they sort of belong on this guitar.

10. Beatbx

Beatbx Tele-Meister

I love cheap deals on strings too. I've found whatever gauge you prefer, if you set it up or get it set up, you ought to stay with that gauge until the next setup. Once it's playing well a guitar's in a delicate balance. A different gauge can cause unwanted buzzing and/or intonation issues. On acoustics I've found it even more crucial to find the most appropriate gauge and stick with it.

11. nonvintage

nonvintage Tele-Holic

Yep and 10's depending on the tension if it seem too tight with 10's then 9.5 or 9's

12. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

+1, my main acoustic sounded great for 10 years, then I changed the strings (no, my mother never changed the strings the whole time she had it :rolleyes: ), I've replaced the strings 4 times now and still haven't gotten the right ones yet (not heavy enough so I get buzz on the bottom 2 strings). I just bought a set of 13-56's, hopefully those are thick enough.

13. acranford9

acranford9 TDPRI Member

I use 11-50 tape wound strings (flats for short).

14. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have 9's on my mex. thinline II and 10's on my mex. standard for slide with
    Open G or Open D tuning.

15. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Tele-Meister

Mine has a modern TOM bridge. It might be a whole 'nother story if it was a threaded one.

16. triviani

triviani Tele-Meister

Uhm, I play 11s with the Jaguar, they are hard to bend but they feel right for that guitar. On Les Paul I prefer 10s, because 9s felt a bit floopy to my liking.

Just got a tele, and put some 10s on it. It's not that difficult to bend but I'm wondering if 9s are not a better option for teles, as with 10s the tension starts to feel a bit heavy.

17. Prison Rodeo

Prison Rodeo Tele-Meister

9s (- 42 nickel bullets) all the way on my three teles, and my strats too. (Half-round 10s on the Parker, 11 flats on the SJM-62 - for the surf of it - and 12 flats on the ES-125.)

18. FredJr

FredJr Tele-Meister

That's what I found - 9s feel the best on a 25.5" scale guitar (for me)

19. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

I started on 9s, but moved to 10s about 3 years ago. Now 9s feel piddly.

20. Rokatt88

Rokatt88 Tele-Holic

Yah, I stauted wid da ninze and den I stauted wid da tenz and aufter a vile I work aup to telafone cables. Yah, da real thing. Yah. Like wat yoo see on telafone polez. Yah, yah.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.