Anyone use 9's anymore?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by eno55, Apr 13, 2011.

1. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

I'm with you on this one. The difference in scale length and string tension makes 10s on a Gibson and 9s on a Fender feel exactly the same to me. I also really don't notice a difference in tone between 9s and 10s on the same guitar. I also find that heavier strings than necessary just encourages me to play more heavy-handed, using too much finger pressure, leading to pitch issues and difficulty controlling bends. YMMV.

2. electrablue

electrablue Poster Extraordinaire

I use 9's on my teles and 10's on my strats and Les Paul.

3. lotechrules

lotechrules TDPRI Member

That is so me :D

4. FredJr

FredJr Tele-Meister

I decided that while I really like 9-46 gauge, I can get 10 sets of D'Addario 9-42 for MUCH less money so I got into the straight 9 set. On a Gibson scale guitar I always use 10s but Fender scales get 9s - 3/4 inch difference in length makes a lot of difference to me in comfort, playability, and country / bluesy bending ease on 9s so it's all good. I was totally amazed to read the the Rev. Billy G. used 8s and tuned down for some tunes :eek: - great sound is in the hands!!!

While we're at it, I got turned on to DR Zebra strings for the Tele years ago by a soundman who also worked in a music store. I was amazed at the tone that was produced on a Telecaster by alternating the bronze/nickel windings! I may give those a shot someday again.

5. Mars Hall

Mars Hall TDPRI Member

My Tele is the only guitar I play 9's on, everything else is 10's. The guitar is a beast to play with 10's.

6. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I haven't played a set of .009s for years.

This thread has made me curious, though. Maybe I'll try a set on one of my guitars as an experiment.

7. bluesy

bluesy Tele-Holic

I hear ya. I have diabetic neuropathy in both my hands which has forced me to use .044, .034, .024, .014, .010, .008 tuned down a half step. No problems with tone and it's much more comfortable for me. I don't think I'd be able to play without this set up.

8. banjohabit

banjohabit Tele-Holic

took the 9's off my tele as soon as i got it awhile back. the 10's were fine, but just for curiosity i put a set of 11's on it just a little while ago. are you sure these guitars weren't designed for 11's? HOLY COW!! this thing is crowing like a rooster now! wish i'd done it last string change.

9. Nogbad

Nogbad Tele-Holic

Well... The standard gauge back then was medium, or 13's Even in the 70's when I first started playing it was common to find people playing them on electrics.I think guitarists started using Banjo strings to make things easier before Light guages were available to guitarists. I changed to 9's as soon as I new they existed.Made learning a breeze! Ultra light is what we used to ask for. I sometimes put 11's on a Tele for fun. It does feel natural.

10. teleyouk

teleyouk Tele-Meister

9-42 on tele for country and funk rhythms stuff;

11. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

I have always liked heavier gauges, coming from an acoustic guitar background. Still, have some problems with vibrating bends and pedal-steel bends with .010s. You guys got me tempted to try the .0095s. I can't stand the feel of straight 9s, they're just not right for me...

12. supersonicman

supersonicman TDPRI Member

I use 9s on my Tele, Strat, and Cyclone, but I'm using 8s on my Jag-stang. Is that going to be bad or good in the long run? I don't know, but it certainly feels good.

13. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

As far an I can tell, this is the first mention of .008 in this thread.
    The thinner they are the faster they wear out...that is the only prob I see.
    Enjoy the slink.

14. teleman77

teleman77 Tele-Meister

Hell, I use 8's and they work just fine.

15. jvanhorn

jvanhorn Tele-Meister

Is someone out there making a "James Burton" set of strings? Of did you just put it together yourself?

16. yyz2112

yyz2112 TDPRI Member

Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies, 9-46 in the disgusting orange color package. That works for me on both 25.5" and 24.75" scale guitars.

I go back and forth at times. When I'm playing frequently I'll sometimes go with the lime green slinkies which are 10-46. The .42 low E in a standard super slinky 9-42 set is, for me, is just a bit loose. It's a really personal thing, but I like the 9-46 set. Full sounding on the bottom end, but still easy to bend. My left hand likes the light strings, and my right (picking) hand likes the heavy strings.

And I should mention that even going back to my teens when I worked in a small music shop and changed a LOT of strings, I found that EB strings work the best for me. No, I don't have an Ernie Ball endorsement or work for them... I just thunk they hold up better and experience fewer breaks with them, so they must have figured something out along the way.

17. FredJr

FredJr Tele-Meister

Absolutely spot on Fred - I seem to remember hearing Dick Dale say he used huge strings too. The whole SRV thing blew the big strings big tone balloon up & guys like Billy G and BB King popped that balloon by getting big tone from small strings.

I have never been a fan of big strings because I hate busting my fingers up. One of my friends is an SRV freak & won't use anything but phone cables and a cranked DeVille - why is it then that I can get that same big tonal quality with my 9s, my Fender Pro Junior, and the occasional overdrive hhhhmmmm? Oh yeah - it's the truth :D

18. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

09s work for me

I use Daddario 09s on all my Fender guitars, and 10s or sometimes 11s on the Gibson scale guitars.
    I have occasionally tried some 9.5 strings and I like them, but they are harder to find and never seem to be "on sale" like the .09s and 10s.

Whatver works for you is fine, like some of the other guys here, I remember as a kid using Black Diamond guitar strings that we would buy at TG&Y , we had NO idea about string guages, when Ernie Ball Slinkys came out I was hooked on lighter guage strings!

I have played some Strats with 11s that were tuned to Eb and they weren't too bad , but I'll stick with 09s, they work fine for me.

19. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

No I'm custom ordering them through Just Strings. Just pick your favorite brand and have at it.

20. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

There's a proving of one's masculinity to some aspects of playing guitar. Go into a Guitar Center and look around at some of the meatballs in there wailing away, its no different mentality wise than what you see walking in and out of weight rooms. I think in some cases those stating they use heavy strings and light ones are for toneless fairies are covering up deeper issues. :lol:

I really just don't subscribe to the big frets for bigger strings = bigger tone theory. If you adjust your touch you can play lighter strings on vintage style frets and get practically the same sounds. It's all about touch tho.

That said, certain styles certainly call for heavier strings. I played on a Jaguar in a surf band for a few years and I couldn't go below 12s because first the guitar played better with heavier strings and secondly it was easier to double pick on telephone wires than spider webs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.