Anyone tryed lacquer over printed paper?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by tojo, May 26, 2019.

1. tojo

tojo TDPRI Member

tele_flyfish.jpg I was thinking of putting something like this on my new build. I have tried to spray lacquer on a print and it seams ok. Anyone that has any experiens of doing something like this and what should I think of if I do it? And what kind of glue for the paper?

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  2. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

I have lacquered gift wrap paper on a guitar. mist coats, many of them before you lay down better ones.

What I did was mist coat the paper a few times with lacquer before putting glue on it, because that would wreck the paper.
    Kind of like when you mist coat a waterslide so the ink wont run. It worked pretty well, but when I was smoothing the paper down, I damaged it a bit by stretching it in one spot because it probably had a bit too much glue. Gettting just enough glue down is the trick I think. maybe spray glue? Or, perhaps thin two-sided tape to adhere the paper?

There is a process for transfering printed images onto new surfaces you may wish to try. Have not done it, but it looks pretty enticing.

3. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Isn't a Paisley Telecaster just paper stuck to the body with a finish on top?

hemingway likes this.
  4. John How

John How Tele-Meister

I’ve glued fabric to a guitar and an amp...actually the ones in my avatar...I used a small foam roller to evenly spread the glue making sure there were no puddles...it worked great...never tried paper though I’ve heard of luthiers doing that very thing...

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I think there is a regular finish, then paper, then fade in coat then clear... as far as I can tell.

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

watching the video, I wondered why the guy didn't smooth out the paper with a squeegee/roller to even out the podge/surface before clamping it to the flat surface?....

worth a try though... even for a logo...

MrYeats likes this.
  7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

I used waterborne polyurethane (Target Super Clear SC9000 If I can recall correctly) over paper in order to make a reproduction of a sticker for my daughter's cello case. Came out fine. The particular finish I used is water-white-clear so there was no color cast to the underlying paper or artwork.

8. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I often do this, on pickguards -- easily replaced -- rather than the guitar. Ditto, pedal housings. (I have a nice overdrive that combines the Wheels of Fire and Disreali Gears artwork.) The one below has a printed dragon and gold leaf under nitro. You will find that some inks dissolve under different finishes (and not always instantly), and some papers absorb different finishes, sometimes becoming translucent. So test in advance, and as others have said, do some extremely light coats first, letting them really dry before doing any buildup of multiple coats. It's really fun and you can get great results, or you can ruin things really fast. As in everything, it's a matter of patience and care. Good luck. And yup -- a good gold foil on a Junior is spectacular.
    [​IMG]

tvvoodoo, nojazzhere and RiversQC like this.
  9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

There's no way to answer with the information provided.

1. What kind of paper is it? This is critical to determine the type of adhesive.

2. How was it printed? Is it something you bought - or printed on your home printer?

Need really precise answers - the type of ink is important, as some inks have very little colorfastness.

10. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I've sprayed lacqure on paper many times (also used enamel) one thing I found cut a square/rectangle out of a piece of cardboard then tape the paper down to hold it tight using a box is great. What I found spray the printed side with the clear then spray the back with white that will make the colors stand out. If it's something you printed print something to do a test.

John How likes this.
  11. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

This video uses z-poxy to laminate the picture to the guitar. After that you can clear coat it with nitro or anything else:

12. tojo

tojo TDPRI Member

Change of plan, I met a local artist who will make an oil painting on the guitar. He said it would be ok to put clear lacqure on the painting. He maid a quick sketch on paper of what he intend to do. tele_painting.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.