Anyone try noiseless pups and go back to originals

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by teleplayer99, May 11, 2021.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I had the fender hot noiseless in a Strat. They were terrible. And not even hot.

I tried the DiMarzio Area T in a Tele that was a very good pickup, but still nothing like the Duncan Jerry Donahue or other good true single coil.

drmordo likes this.
  2. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I have Fender "Hot Noiseless" in the neck & middle positions, Duncan JB Jr. at the bridge. They're there to stay.

3. KATT

KATT Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I've used Lace Sensors for years. I must sound like crap!

Surely the active electronics in the Clapton Strat is just a separate mid boost circuit, much the same as using a boost pedal. It just happens to be in the guitar itself. The pickups in that guitar are not 'active'. Could I sound better by using a boost pedal with the Lace Sensors to reduce the levels of crapness?

Jakedog and drmordo like this.
  4. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I put bardens in a telecaster a couple of years ago. In the studio I had two similar teles (maple neck, swamp ash body, traditional bridge) one with the bardens and one with fender OVs. We did some A/B and after that I went back to traditional singlecoils.

5. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

I've talked about it elsewhere on the forum, but since this thread was active I bought a Jeff Beck Strat with the Hot Noiseless PUs, and they embody everything bad people say about Noiseless PUs - dark, sterile, lack dynamics, uninspiring. It's an amazing guitar, but those PUs suck.

I have a partscaster strat that sounds killer that has the Clapton booster wired to GFS Staggered Alnico PUs, but GFS has been out of them for a while. Wanting to use a similar PU, I googled quite a bit and ended up ordering a set of FCS Custom '54 PUs. I've got them in the pickguard now and need to solder everything together. I got the Fishman rechargeable battery back plate so I don't have to rout the guitar for a battery.

So - why didn't I order Lace Sensors after praising them earlier in the thread? I was myopically focused on recreating the 50s sound I get from my GFS loaded guitar and honestly the Lace Sensors didn't even occur to me until later. But I have two guitars loaded with them and have a set to load up a third, so I've got plenty of Lace Sensor guitars around. I put a Strat-sized Lace Sensor in the just the neck position of one tele because I realized I can swap in different variations until I get the sound I want without having to buy a bunch of pickguards - right now it has a Light Blue Charlie Christian Lace Sensor and sounds fantastic, but in 10 minutes I could yank that and slap in a the Blue PAF or Gold Strat. I actually just bought a Strat PU Tele pickguard off here to set-up another Tele with the Lace Sensor neck PU.

I will likely buy a set of Golds for the Jeff Beck if I don't like the Custom 54s.

Jeff Beck Strat. They should call these PUs Hot Garbage.

jeff beck strat.jpg

Clapton-ish Partscaster with 90s MIJ neck that is one of the most buttery smooth necks I have ever played.

clapton.jpg

Ibanez Roadstar II with Gold Lace Sensors. Sounds great. This was my first guitar, I got it Christmas of '87.

Ibanez.jpg

Tele Partscaster with Lace Sensor in the neck position. I removed the lettering on the Lace Sensor to make the guitar look "Esquire-ish". I also have a maple MIM Fender neck I just got that has not yet been installed. It has a GFS big pole PU in the bridge, which I do like and it pairs will with the Charlie Christian Lace Sensor.

Esquireish.jpg

Arfage and Bruxist like this.
  6. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Woo Hoo!!!

7. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Reminds me of Rory Gallagher's Esquire some, '59 Olympic white. His has the old original Lawrence single blade stacks, the tele version and two L250 Strats pickups.

drmordo likes this.
  8. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

nope ;), those noiseless Dimarzios are home to stay
    images (37).jpg

9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I had an '84 Roadstar II in the same red color as yours! I thought the stock (color matching) ceramic pickups were actually pretty good, and I actually still have them in my basement somewhere, even though the guitar itself is long gone.

Funny thing is I actually painted those pickups white at one point, to try and make them look more like EMGs or Laces. The epoxy paint I used adhered so well that I wasn't able to remove it all!

drmordo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.