Anyone try a tele w/ piezo bridge and Fishman Aura or similar?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by navigate40, Dec 3, 2019 at 7:32 AM.

1. navigate40

navigate40 Tele-Meister

Hello

Curious as to how 'acoustic' you can get a tele. There are several piezo bridges available. I have the Brenner in my tele. Played into a Fishman loudbox mini.

I have tried several pedals to get a more acoustic tone out of it and while interesting and different from the electric sound, nothing comes close to a real acoustic guitar (no surprise). No critical need, I play acoustics, just curious to see if it can get closer.

Tried the TC Body Rez, an EQ pedal, a couple cheap acoustic sim pedals and recently an IR loader, the NUX Mini Studio. IR's are supposedly a big deal and supposed to realistic. I tried several from 3Sigma. Not satisfying or realistic at all.

So, has anyone tried a tele with a piezo bridge through the Fishman Aura? Which model? How did it sound?

Any other solutions.

Thanks
    John

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 8:06 AM
  2. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

I once installed a set of GraphTech Ghost saddles, with preamp, into a Strat Plus. After all that work I wasn't happy. Tone-wise it was passable but the dynamics of a solid-body guitar with a steel bridge, i.e. the attack/sustain/decay characteristics are completely unrealistic for an acoustic effect. I don't see how a Tele setup would be any different.

upload_2019-12-3_5-58-54.png

upload_2019-12-3_6-7-44.png

This is what I have now. Carvin/Kiesel AE185. Neck-thru, semihollow with the top mostly suspended. Good realistic acoustic sound, especially with the spruce top. Still experimenting with the humbuckers. This particular guitar has some electronic mods and 2 extra controls.
    upload_2019-12-3_6-3-55.png

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

I've had a Nashville Power Tele, ca 2006, for about 8 years now. They are set up with a Fishman piezo pickup in the bridge. The "acoustic" sound of my Tele will never replace my old Martin or Taylor for acoustic sounds, but when I don't want to take more than one guitar to the gig, it does the trick for pretty good faux acoustic sounds. Another feature is that the guitar signal can be split, sending the piezo signal to another amp, or in my case, the PA. This makes this tele sound almost as if there is another guitar being played. If all the signal is sent to one amp, the piezo volume knob can be used to dial in the piezo sound to give the overall sound an acoustic sheen. The Tele is also set up with a Roland GK3 midi pickup for guitar synth. 20170102_215256.jpg

Obsessed and nojazzhere like this.
  4. navigate40

navigate40 Tele-Meister

Hello

Thanks for the replies. I have Brenner piezo bridge in my tele. Gives a good sound, through a Fishman amp. Not as good through a PA, a little better with an LR Baggs Gigpro, through the PA. It is a fine sound, different and more organic than the electric sound. But....not really close to an acoustic guitar.

Certainly, that is to be expected. If I were gigging with it, and just wanted something more organic for a song or two, in an electric set, it would probably be fine. I am curious and experimenting, though.

Have tried some pedals and acoustic sim pedals. Not very helpful. So, wondering if a modeling pedal or acoustic signature pedal, such as the Aura, gives a more 'legit' acoustic sound. Anyone tried one? Worth the $150 or so?

Thanks

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

If you're after recommendations on which piezo bridge system to try as an aftermarket addition to a Telecaster, I can't help you. But I have some experience with tele style guitars that are acoustic/electric. Back in February, I test drove an American Acoustasonic Tele.

[​IMG]

I played it for just about 45 minutes in a local store (Clawson's Music), so I can't say I've lived with it. And I haven't played it through a Fishman Loudbox Mini. (I would have liked to; I have both the regular and the Charge versions of the Loudbox Mini, and gig with them all the time.)

First, Bubba Clawson plugged me into a DRRI, and I took the Acoustasonic through its paces. In selector position #1 on the 5-way switch, it sounded very much like a Tele, though not quite like anything I’ve played before. I’m figuring that’s because of two things: (1) the phosphor bronze strings; (2) this was my first experience in playing through Fender’s N4 noiseless pickup.

However, the Acoustasonic’s acoustic models in positions #2-#5 sounded like what you would expect an acoustic/electric guitar played through a DRRI to sound. The acoustic models just didn’t come close to having the woodiness and airiness of an acoustic guitar. And the differences between the guitar's acoustic models were barely perceptible through that amp.

So I asked to plug into an acoustic amp. Bubba agreed about how much better the acoustic models would sound through an acoustic amp, but then got off on a tangent about playing the other day through a PA. So next thing I know, he’s plugging into a PA (Peavey powered mixer going out to a couple of JBL equipped speakers). He played it a little, then offered it to me. Through that system, you could really hear the differences between the acoustic models. It had more realistic acoustic tone than through the DRRI, but then that magnetic bridge pickup didn't sound right.

I haven't had the chance to play one (they came out about a decade ago, and have been discontinued for some time now), but I think the older Acoustasonic Telecaster is more in line with what your asking about, and would be more what I'd look for if I was inclined to buy such a Tele.
    [​IMG]

I like the look of that, with its rosewood bridge and burst body. If I were limited to one magnetic pickup in a Tele, I'd choose the neck over the bridge pickup. And the neck pickup in this older Acoustasonic is the Twisted Tele, which is my favorite Fender brand pickup. In the video demos and reviews of this Acoustasonic, the differences between the models of the Fishman Aura system don't really come through, but I'd sure like to try it out, if I ever happen to come across one.

So my takeaway is that a Tele with both piezo and magnetic pickups would best be served by a dual amplification system. If I had one of these Acoustasonics, whether older version or the latest model, I’d send my signal to an AB/Y box, and use the acoustic models through an acoustic amp like my Fishman Loudbox Mini, and play the magnetic pickup through one of my Vox Pathfinder 15Rs.

I probably won't ever pull the trigger on either one of these Acoustasonics, though. I have an acoustic/electric tele style made by Bob Logan. My Logan Custom a/e is not patterned after either one of the Acoustasonics in the sense of taking the Swiss Army knife approach to sporting both piezo and magnetic pickups. It is just an acoustic/electric with tele dimensions, with Fishman electronics. I gig with it all the time, plugged into one of my Loudbox Minis.
    06-01-2018 - My Logan Custom acoustic-electric & Fishman Loudbox Mini.jpeg

6. jmo1112

jmo1112 NEW MEMBER!

I run my Power Tele into a custom ABY box (that takes the balanced input and splits inside the box), and run the acoustic side into a Fishman Aura. I use the dreadnought setting, with the blend at about 50 percent. While it adds a little body to the sound and reduces some of that bite that the piezo gives, it's still not like a Taylor or Martin. But, I will say, run through a PA and strumming, it is pretty darn convincing. I've had many a soundman say it sounds better than half of the acoustics they have to deal with. Probably means a lot of people bring terrible guitars to shows, but still. I've fooled a lot of folks with this setup.

All of that said, I landed on this thread in a Google search looking to find if others had better results than me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.