Anyone try a modeler into an acoustasonic?

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm still in the thinking stages of a new super flexible rig. The goal is to get good sounds out of my resonator and my electric with one fairly portable and flexible setup, in places that might have minimal or no sound support. I have a Helix HX Stomp for the modeling side of things.
My next gig I am just playing both guitars plugged into my Allen Accomplice (Fender-voiced amp). It's a gorgeous amp for electric guitar but the resonator loses something through a guitar amp.

So I'm wondering about those acoustasonics - they are pretty cheap and plenty available used, it looks like there are a bunch of sizes. Anybody done that? Acoustic -oriented amp instead of a "FRFR"?

Chicago Slim

Tele-Afflicted
I've used Zoom G2 pedals for over 15 years. As a rockabilly player, I found Tape Echo sounds better than anything that I've tried. I've also used it for provided Twin Reverb backlines that I found too clean, strait into the board at recording studios, etc. It also works great with my Acoustasonic 40. YMMV!

100_2451.JPG

kuch

Tele-Meister
I'm still in the thinking stages of a new super flexible rig. The goal is to get good sounds out of my resonator and my electric with one fairly portable and flexible setup, in places that might have minimal or no sound support. I have a Helix HX Stomp for the modeling side of things.
My next gig I am just playing both guitars plugged into my Allen Accomplice (Fender-voiced amp). It's a gorgeous amp for electric guitar but the resonator loses something through a guitar amp.

So I'm wondering about those acoustasonics - they are pretty cheap and plenty available used, it looks like there are a bunch of sizes. Anybody done that? Acoustic -oriented amp instead of a "FRFR"?

I have a old acoustasonic Jr DSP that I use for my 000-18 E Retro. It has 2x8 drivers and a tweeter. The 000 has a factory installed fishman aura system that gives me a lot of options to tweak the sound.
Anyway, the best part of the amp is that it has a adjustable line out. I daisy chain my 2 JBL eons through it and if I were playing out, would be adequate in my opinion for small venues.

good luck with your search

63telemaster

Tele-Holic
Just googled your Allen amp and it looks wonderful and I bet it sounds as good too. I wanted to see if it had an fx loop or power amp in input which might have provided a solution when combined with your stomp for the resonator.

I found the weakest link with modeling amps is the cab sims so went the route of HX Stomp > fx return of a solid state combo with 12" Celestion. This works very well with my tele and with some careful Stomp tweaking I'm also able to use my D28 with mag pickup in this rig with very acceptable results.....about 50% of my set. I much prefer using this setup than going straight to FOH with my Stomp.

I would imagine the speakers in the Acoustasonic would be closer to flat response so you'd probably need to use cab modelling in your Stomp for your electric which is what I wanted to avoid. Just something you might want to consider.

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Before I bought a tube amp I used a POD plugged into an Acoustasonic. The store where I bought the POD recommended it, and it did sound good. I got compliments on my tone, playing a Strat.