Anyone tried Wudtone?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Max3000, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Max3000

Max3000 TDPRI Member

Hello all, just curious to see if anyone’s tried Wudtone finishing kits and what your experience was like. I’m particularly interested in their Conch Girl dye. I’m sort of trying to decide if I want to put it on mahogany or alder, and also whether to apply the grain filler that optionally comes with the kit. Any related anecdotes or tips are appreciated.

2. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude TDPRI Member

I've used it on all my partscasters, since I didn't have a good space to spray. It's really easy to use and looks good with well grained wood. I did my strat in surfer girl and tele deluxe in black magic woman

Attached Files:

tintag27, Sleph, preactor and 3 others like this.
  3. BluesRockDude

It is worth noting that I recently took the pickguard off my strat to replace the pickups and the colour has started to fade in the 6 years since I finished it. I don't keep it in a case though, which probably hasn't helped.

Attached Files:

4. Max3000

Max3000 TDPRI Member

Are those both ash?

5. BluesRockDude

Yeah, they're both ash. I did one budget build with a mismatched three piece alder body I got cheap, I did it vintage blonde first, then refinished it in faded fiesta a few years later, I don't seem to have a picture of the blonde, but the fiesta came out pretty good, even if the mismatched pieces are fairly obvious

Attached Files:

zippofan likes this.
  6. achiii

achiii TDPRI Member

I used the conch girl on a mahogany stew mac mini-t I built for my daughter (to match my full size pink tele-style guitar). I was really happy with how easy it was to use, and I used the grain filler on the body and was pleased with how that worked. The pink came out less pink than I was hoping, though: It looks much less pink than my candy pink tele, though it looks more pink out in the sun and I think it paired well with the turquoise inlace inlay i did on the body. 155811712_440955304019677_6890005588677514326_n.jpg 160948763_423610811978335_9143398360035660810_n-3.jpg

BluesRockDude and preactor like this.
  7. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I did a partscaster with it. Easy to use and nice finish.

8. Max3000

Max3000 TDPRI Member

Wow, I did not expect to find someone who’d actually used this color on this wood, this is very helpful. Do you thinK it would’ve been possible to get it to be a bit more pink if you’d mixed in a bit more of the white? As I understand it, Wudtone gives a white base coat in addition to the colored one. Again, thank you so much for these pics, very helpful

9. achiii

achiii TDPRI Member

Yeah, when I was deciding on how to finish that guitar, I loved the photos on the wudtone site, but it was really hard to find other examples of people using the Conch Girl set on any other guitars.

Im not sure if it could have come out much lighter, given the color of the wood. I tried to follow the wudtone instructions to start with equal parts color and white in the first coats, but also to tend toward darker for the first coats and then go lighter if desired. I did that, but even though I progressed toward lighter as I realized it was coming out quite dark, it didn't change that much with additional lighter colors. So I do wish I had started out with the first coats being lighter.

I also couldn't find almost any examples of people talking about having used the transparent grain filler, but I was pleased with how that worked out. And it was easy to use.

10. Max3000

Max3000 TDPRI Member

Yeah, I think I’ll take your advice. The pics you provided are close enough to what I want, and I can always try to make it lighter like you said. Even if that doesn’t work, I kind of like this unique salmon-y color anyway

achiii likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.