Anyone tried to "Unleash" a 5 watter?

Fenderboy32

TDPRI Member
Hi fellow gearheads! I have a Laney Lionheart L5T-112 that I really dig for home use and recording. I decided that I wanted a gigging amp just in case but the L20 is a Class AB amp and I really didn't want to alter my base sound or have an extra higher wattage amp sitting around. So I replaced my stock speaker with a 125 watt Eminence Red, White, and Blues and bought a Bad Cat Unleash. The amp still sounds great at bedroom volumes, and I figured I could goose it to gig level while still allowing speaker headroom. Haven't tried it out yet, but hoping I might've solved my GAS for a high wattage amp?

Anyone have good experience with the Bad Cat Unleash in this scenario? Thanks!

Fenderboy32

TDPRI Member
You're correct. Should've done my research. Still, if I can get great low level and high level tones out if the LT5 and the Unleash, that would be cool.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Tech21 Power Engine FTW.

The Unleash would be a better option for his situation. The Power Engine is designed to amplify a line-level signal, such as from a modeling preamp. The Unleash is a combination load box/re-amper, and is designed to make big amps quiet, or little amps loud.

paratus

Friend of Leo's
Fenderboy, I think you are on the right track.

I have not heard an Unleash with a 5 watt amp, but with slightly larger amps they do exactly what you want.

I have never had a chance to play through the 5 watt Lionheart, but they seem impressive in vids I have seen.