Anyone tried the Fender WRHB CuNiFe Reissue?

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
Bought a new 2020 bridge CuNiFe WRHB. Turns out it measures 10.2k not the advertised 11.4k. So I decided to try another bridge and see what I get.
Got the new bridge today. It reads 10.5k.
I don’t have an inductance meter, so really not sure what I ended up with.

Any reason I can’t pair these up in a 72TL reissue?

Where are you getting these pickups? Everywhere I look they're out of stock (or at exorbitant prices)...

Dion

TDPRI Member
Looks like they have one more. Got the other from Vision Guitar in San Jose. Also on reverb. Super fast shipping for both. Had them in 2 days

I originally thought I got a neck by mistake, due to the lower reading of 10.2k. Only marking on these are Sharpie “B” on the back although the jewel cases for these both indicate Bridge pickups with the correct part number from Fender.

Dion

TDPRI Member
Thank you, just ordered the last one! I've hemmed and hawed whether to try these in my MIM Classic 72 Thinline and I recently realized if I don't at least try them I'll wonder about it for the rest of my life.

ditto, had to give em a shot
Have them installed, the neck is FANTASTIC! Even if it says bridge

my understanding is the original we’re not specific neck or bridge

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
ditto, had to give em a shot
Have them installed, the neck is FANTASTIC! Even if it says bridge

my understanding is the original we’re not specific neck or bridge

This is what I'm wondering, if I can just get two bridges and put one in the neck. Sounds like it worked for you!

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
My local shop has one on order for me. They're supposed to be in stock from Fender again by late February. Be patient and don't give any money to these vultures on Reverb who are marking up the last few available.

Dion

TDPRI Member
The two I found on Reverb weren't marked up.
$199 same as Fender will charge.
Although there is one listed for upwards of $300 :(

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I can't find a neck version. Given I'd be importing to Canada I don't want to take the risk ordering a bridge and finding it's over 11K.

I just searched and there's no neck versions available willing to ship to Canada.

Dion

TDPRI Member
So as it turns out, both pickups are marked “B”. One reads 10.45k with 4.6H and the other reads 10.24k with 4.3H inductance.
neither matches Fenders new specs but sound great :)

Leee

TDPRI Member
It astounds me that a pickup that many people know nothing about, one that has languished in near-obscurity but for us gear nerds, would be so popular and then so hard to find.
I mean, did Fender build like maybe 100 of them and ship them all out only to test the market?
Saturate the Interwebz and the guitar world with the buzz to see if the market would respond?

Nothing drives scarcity like scarcity.

As I posted in another thread, I had a set of Fender WRHB pickups from about 2005 that I bought new and put in a Strat.
I enjoyed them, but eventually parted out the guitar.
Where the pickups went, I don't know. Maybe in a box somewhere...

I've long considered buying a set of "real" WRHBs from one of the boutique makers but never could find anything that I felt was worth the cost.
Esoteric and amorphous testimonials only heighten my skepticism.

Now Fender dusts off a 40 year-old pickup and resumes production with supposedly legit materials and manufacturing?
I'm fool enough to throw $400 at a pair of them... if I could find them.

Oh well.

I'll wait.

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
So much of the market is driven by our role models. The most obvious is what Greenie, Clapton, Bloomfield, et. al. have done to the Gibson 'burst.
I have a Silverface Fender outboard reverb that, IMO, blows the 6G15 off the map; but they're rare and not associated with a particular sound or person, so folks don't buy them.
The WRHB is an outlier...people love them despite the fact that you can't listen to one of your heroes (or anybody else, for that matter!) using it.
I LOVE mine.
One of my mentors, a great player, saw it and said, "Egads! I had one of those for about 5 minutes and couldn't wait to get rid of it!"
It's been years, though.
Next time he's over, I'm gonna make him plug it in.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
So much of the market is driven by our role models. The most obvious is what Greenie, Clapton, Bloomfield, et. al. have done to the Gibson 'burst.
I have a Silverface Fender outboard reverb that, IMO, blows the 6G15 off the map; but they're rare and not associated with a particular sound or person, so folks don't buy them.
The WRHB is an outlier...people love them despite the fact that you can't listen to one of your heroes (or anybody else, for that matter!) using it.
I LOVE mine.
One of my mentors, a great player, saw it and said, "Egads! I had one of those for about 5 minutes and couldn't wait to get rid of it!"
It's been years, though.

I wish I had friends who would say stuff like "Egads!" :p

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I LOVE mine.
It's been years, though.

Truth. I can honestly say, if not for Tab Benoit and early Jonny Lang, the WRHBs would not be holding my interest the way they are. And I found out with Tab, a big part of his sound is how he MICs everything... he's got 2 amps: 1 clean, 1 dirty, at different volume levels. Puts a mic BETWEEN them (in the sweet spot he likes), then also adds another mic BEHIND then combos. These 2 mic signals are what get combined and then sent to the FOH. The clean amp is there to put the punch and articulation back in, as the dirty amp loses some of that at higher volume levels.

...and none of that has anything to do with WRHBs, lol

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
I'm no expert in winding pickups, but I'm at a loss trying to understand why these have been so difficult for Fender to make more of... If they've arranged exclusively with a foundry to make CuNiFe available again, surely, to make that cost effective, they must have made enough to produce more than just a small run of pickups?

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I'm no expert in winding pickups, but I'm at a loss trying to understand why these have been so difficult for Fender to make more of... If they've arranged exclusively with a foundry to make CuNiFe available again, surely, to make that cost effective, they must have made enough to produce more than just a small run of pickups?

I think they just keep selling out. No idea how many they have manufactured in each run, but they seem to keep selling out. I know CuNiFe is not only expensive, but very difficult to machine- it has a high failure rate. Which is why the pickups are so expensive.

Fearnot

Poster Extraordinaire
The bridge is in stock, the neck still out of stock.

(And yes, I know they're practically the same... and were the same back in the '70s.)

Leee

TDPRI Member
Right on.
I found two for the bridge position and it was good enough for me.

BAM!

Ordered. :)