Anyone tried the Eminence Guit-fiddle Speaker?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bowpickins, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

Hi everyone! :)

I have been searching for another speaker for my '65 DRRI.
    I play both fiddle and guitar and have been going back and forth to find the right tone on both. I posted a thread earlier this year I think, asking about the Texas Heat. I wound up getting one, and it worked out really well until I started doing kick-offs with the fiddle in a band. When I solo, kick-off a song, etc. I start to get some sort of clipping, or overdrive, which is not ideal for the fiddle.
    Guitar sounded fine through it!
    Anyway, I emailed Eminece asking about a speaker that did not breakup, was efficient, that was good for both fiddle and guitar, and could mellow out the deluxe just a little bit for my overdrive pedals.

They got back to me and recommended I try their Guit-fiddle model. 100 watts, 100.1 db sensitivity, and the apparent hemp cone will mellow out the amp a bit and smooth the highs, which will hopefully help my driven tone on the amp.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried it already, and could possibly give opinions on it before I get it.

Thank you very much!
    Joseph. :)

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The efficiency of 100.1 of this Guit Fiddle speaker is so close to the efficiency of the Texas Heat at 99.4db that you will not hear a difference in apparent volume. It takes maybe a 3db difference to be noticeable.
    I do not think that the Texas Heat was what was breaking up. I believe it was the circuit be No overdriven....I could be wrong, but that Heat is a 150 watt speaker that can put out some loud cleans, ime. Imho, the proof of this is that your guitar was not a problem. This is either because you liked the breakup or the guitar signal was not driving the preamp the way the fiddle was.
    I am thinking that the DR is not enough amp for a clean fiddle in a band that is dealing with anything above a certain lower volume. I also thin’ that the tone controls need to be set differently. One might consider having one channel modified to deal with fiddle if the controls can’t get it tight for you.
    At any rate...good luck and let us know what goes on.

Telecastoff1, tonejam and Bowpickins like this.
  3. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

Thank you for your advice, Wally! :)
    I think you might be right about the deluxe reverb's circuit. Being a 22-watt amp, it won't have the same output as my twin. That does not take away the credit it gets for keeping up with a band unmiced when I played some weekly dances in a club. I use the normal channel for the fiddle since I just want a dry signal on it, with a L.R. baggs di to warm up the tone, and to reduce input gain. I send the guitar into the vibrato channel.

Wally likes this.
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Fiddle, especially on an aggressive double stop, will push an amp like nothing else. I use an A double stop on the E/A strings as a good test when checking amps, preamps, pickups, etc. If an amp and setup doesn't clip noticeably there, you are pretty good for the rest of the fingerboard. Actually, without knowing anything else, I'd think a 22w DRRI is not enough amp for gig volumes and a fiddle. What pickup and preamp are you using?

Wally and Bowpickins like this.
  5. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

I am using a L.R. Baggs pickup on my 5 string fiddle and my DI is a L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic D.I. :)

6. Wally

There are a couple of simple things one could try. The easiest is to run the fiddle into the #2 input which yields a 6db cut to the input stage. The other easy thing to try is a 5751 or even 12AY7 in V1. Other than that, one is going to manipulate gain and tones.

7. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

I am running it into the 2nd input (sorry, forgot to mention that on the main post). I do get the tone controls interacting with the volume. Would running the tone settings at lower values possibly help?

8. Wally

It is worth a try. It would be interesting to see what affects what. A multi and graphic might be in order. The D.I.’s tone controls would be somewhere to listen. I try to get an amplified acoustic-electric instruments to sound like an acoustic instrument...and then the maximum volume that works is dependent on the amp. With the Ab763 gain/tone topography, as one moves to higher volumes it is best to pull tones down...at least for my ears. And..vice-versa.
    Fwiw, the best electric-acoustic tube amp I have ever heard was a Gibson GA-100 Bass amp I owned. I A/B’d against a TR. the Fender could not replicate the clarity that is necessary, ime. I would like to hear something like a MacIntosh amplifying an acoustic-electric.

Bowpickins likes this.
  9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In situations where you're questioning if the Deluxe works well enough, why not just use the Twin? If you're not using the amp to shape the fiddle's tone into something different, you should get the same basic tone from a Twin from 1 to 10 on the volume.

Bowpickins likes this.
  10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Good point, maybe try lowering the gain on the front end, by keeping the Baggs preamp volume low, including the Baggs tone settings, run the DR tones high, and then finalize with the DR volume. If I recall, the DR tone controls are passive, meaning the amp is closer to flat, with the treble/bass both set at 10.

I think you may just find you don't have enough clean headroom. Early on, I was trying to make due with a dedicated 15w acoustic amp. Then I moved to a dedicated 80w acoustic amp. Got tired of dragging two amps to include a tele, and started looking for a do-it-all amp, and ended up with a two channel Twin. Got tired of dragging it every time, and discovered a sweet spot around 40w with tube amps. A two channel is better, where you can set one channels' tone for fiddle/acoustic, and the second channel for your tele.

Bowpickins likes this.
  11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I'm just skimming through before I head to the job that pays the bills.
    Not a fiddle player but the strong signal hitting the amp makes me think it's somewhat like my ES-330. Going from a Tele to those P-90s things get noticeably louder right away (with no amp tweaks) and it'll get dirt out of anything, even a TR, with a heavy pick attack. (of course I like the affect)
    Maybe just using input two should help you by not hitting the amp so hard with signal. That input on a TR might be better but you gotta lug a TR, so there's that. :)

Bowpickins likes this.
  12. Wally

13. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

Yes. The two separate channels are a huge benefit for me, as I don't have to keep switching out each cable when I switch instruments. :)

14. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

Thanks for your help, everyone. I will definitely try these suggestions out and mess with things today. Just out of curiosity, though: Can you give me some insight into the tones of a hemp cone in general? I would like to try one out if it would warm up the tone a bit. :)

15. Wally

I can only speak to what I heard and what I would want. The C-Rex I heard in a Fender amp was darker than I liked, and for my purposes I would want something more like a vintage American speaker in that amp....especially for the fiddle. Your ears may differ, and tone is subjective.

Bowpickins likes this.
  16. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

You can use the Normal channel which is noticeably a bit warmer and thicker than the reverb channel with the bright cap clipped. Caveat: is it that way on a RI?

As far as hemp cones go, they are a bit warmer, but not huge IME. I had some Weber Silver Bells and one was a hemp cone, A/B ing them it was not a big difference at all.
    BTW, that speaker is a possibility for you. The Silver Bell can have a top end that is tamed a bit. I liked the 75 watt version with the screen dust cap (which also tames brightness a touch) But you could get a 100 watt version also.

The Texas Heat I had seemed to have just a bit of gnarly sound in it as notes faded when pushed hard. It seemed rather harsh to me also. (Used in a DR)

I had the Cannabis Rex for a short time and didn't like it at all. But many people do and it was a warm speaker so could be your thing too.

Another thought. Although it fly's in the face of lowering the front end input theory, an MXR Micro Amp (dirt cheap used) will make a DR much louder and surprisingly not dirtier at all. I used one for years.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  17. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

When I think of that deep throaty tone produced by a Cello or low Violin notes, I think of EV speakers. But not sure which would suit in a 12". My EV15B Bass/PA speaker is the best guitar speaker I have, but I only use it for loud outdoor events. It's a 400 (or 600?) watt speaker.

Bowpickins likes this.
  18. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I ran an EV SRO in my DRRI for a number of years. Great speaker, and it works great with a Deluxe. I just got tired of packing it because it weighed almost as much as a Twin with that speaker. I'm pretty sure that an EVM 12L would be equally as good.

uriah1, Bowpickins and schmee like this.
  19. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

I had a Texas Heat in mine for a while. The Texas Heat is why I started this thread. :lol::oops:
    It sort of worked, but it was hard to find pedals with it (my way huge green rhino and boss sd-1 have been the nicest with it so far when I play guitar).
    The Cannabis Rex sounds like what i am looking for. I kind of want to smooth out the amp overall.
    Thank you so much for your help!
    Joseph. :)

schmee likes this.
  20. stellarelephant

stellarelephant TDPRI Member

I bought a Guit-Fiddle speaker and put it in my Monoprice 15 watt amp. I liked it better than the Seventy 80 because it smoothed out the harshness, but it was hard to get it to chime, even when maxing out the tone and treble controls. The added upper harmonics from heavy preamp overdrive woke up the treble a bit, and in that scenario, the Guit-Fiddle speaker provided some killer thick, smooth lead tones that I really enjoyed, but again, I had to keep the tone and treble dimed. Maybe with a very bright guitar or amp, or in conjunction with an EQ-able drive or boost pedal, this speaker would provide more useable range. Or it might suit a jazz player? I swapped mine for a Cannabis Rex.

Demo video for all three speakers here:

Bowpickins likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.