Anyone tried Breedlove Guitars?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Robert M., Nov 29, 2004.

1. Robert M.

Robert M. Tele-Meister

I got a Musicians Friend gift certificate for $200 recently and I'm looking for an acoustic. I don't really want to go over $350 and saw two Breedlove's in that price range. I've never heard of them and wanted to hear some opinions on them both good and bad before I make a decision. They look good, just wondering about quality of materials and craftmanship.

Thanks

2. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

I have one of their US made mandos

and I can only speak for the high quality of it. While I'm fairly sure that you're speaking of their import models, the US Breedloves are great (IMHO) and like Taylor have a different voice then a Martin (as well they should).
    They (again MIA) come with JDL Bridgedoctors; a dingus that fits under the bridge and helps with setups and belly maintainence. It'd be very cool if the imports do too.
    Our own Rob D. knows the Bridge doctor stuff, you should ask him.

3. Robert M.

Robert M. Tele-Meister

Thanks Bob, the imports have the bridge thing too. The US models look beautiful, but they're a little more than what my gift certificate is for.

There is a shop here in town that carries them, I think I'll go check them out.

Thanks

4. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

Post a review please

Robert, I haven't found them locally and would be interested in your opinion.
    I'm nuts about that mandolin, and since it has both a bolt-on neck and a trussrod, I feel like there's many many years of service left.
    Best of luck

5. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

The US made ones are just amazing. The cheaper "Atlas series" ones are made offshore. I haven't seen any in person, but for 10% of the price of a nice US made one, I doubt that they would compare at all.

6. moondoggie999

moondoggie999 Tele-Holic

My Thoughts

I have a C25R - I tried to post a pic but the breedlove site is down.

One of my students bought one of the Atlas series and it has the bridge truss. It really does have a lot of the character and sound as mine, but obviously the wood is not the premium that they used on my C25R.

Its certainly something to check and play personally because some people really have a negative reaction to that sound, especially from people who love and prefer the Martin sound, if ya know what I mean.

For me the Breedlove was love at first strum. I just knew and it took me years to save up the dough and man was it worth it. Its one of those things where, everytime I pick it up, its so close to the sound I hear in my head that I am not sure I should be touching and playing this thing because its seems so perfect. I think sometimes, man I don't want to screw it up or I wonder sometimes am I worthy of this instrument. Don't set up an intervention for me just yet OK? LOL Thats just some weirdness on my part, I do play it and record with it all the time, you can hear it here: http://cdbaby.com/bagregory
    I am just trying to say I really love the sound.

Now the atlas series didn't inspire me to this kind of nuttiness but it was a very solid guitar and very similar to the breedlove sparkle sound that mine has. You could certainly tell they were related guitars

Brett

7. Robert M.

Robert M. Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm not looking for something that's going to end my search for an acoustic for life, just something to play when my wife doesn't want to hear an electric.

About 10 years ago I found THAT acoustic that I would have kept for life. It was a Taylor, I don't remember the model, but it was a grand auditorium style cutaway with pearl inlays. May have been the 914ce. Anyway, being only 18 I couldn't buy it, but when I do buy an expensive acoustic it will probably be a Taylor.

8. Annie D.

Annie D. TDPRI Member

I had my brother's Breedlove here for six months. Never touched my Larrivee, Martin, Taylor, Guild, or others.

One it ten million. Great tone and played like a dream.

I could have bought it for $2500, but was a little short. He sold it for $2800. Half what it was worth.

shoot, it's probably a once in a life-time geetar. *sigh*

Course I DID hear-tell of this Santa Cruz...

9. Aaron Schiff

Aaron Schiff Tele-Meister

Last winter my wife bought me a Korean Breedlove for $325 as a gift. I needed a "campfire" guitar and somehow the Santa Cruz just didn't cut it. The bridge is not as ugly as the American custom Breedloves, but it is close. And the Breedlove headstock leaves a lot to be desired also. That being said, the guitar is a monster. I have so much fun playing it that I hardly take the Santa Cruz out of the case except for gigs. It's loud, good tone and easy to play. She bought the guitar in a friend's shop and he says it was the best of 10 or 15 that he has sold, but I still think they are a fantastic bargain. Mine is superior to most acoustics that sell for $1,000 to $1500. The only problem I have is, "How will I replace it if it get's damaged while camping?"

10. Robert M.

Robert M. Tele-Meister

Well I finally got around to going to the shop and played one for a while. I was impressed with how it played and the quality of the materials and finish.

I've decided to get one, but no I might have to wait untill after the holidays. The wife said something about buying stuff for other people. I hate that. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.