1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone tried brass block saddles on a bullet?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by fender4life, Oct 6, 2020.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Like the ones in the pic or similar? I'm quite sure the bullet saddles are zinc and i know what zinc tends to sound like and i don't care for it. I think i hear that and i think replacing with brass could be a good improvement. So if you don't hear differences in saddles, please don't post to tell me that. I get it....not every one does. But I do, and if you do too and have done this swap i'd like to hear what u thing. Basically i prefer vintage style teles and brass saddles and i want the bullet to sound as close as i can get it to that.
    [​IMG]

68Telebass, matty428 and Jazzerclean like this.
  2. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Put some like those on an affinity Tele and like them alot . I bought two sets.The first were ten bucks and were decent quality but only 10.0 mm wide. Too narrow. Needed 10.8 mm. Only ones I could find online were around 30 bucks. I bought them and love them. You want those saddles tight or you'll be adjusting them all the time! As for how they sound? I think that a warmer richer aspect can be noticed to some degree. Don't know if its that much of a difference but I really like them. And they look great. Go for it. Just make sure you get your measurements correct. If you like brass you definitely want them. Just be sure to order the right size and you will be happy. Hope this helps!

3. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Btw the saddle screws may come too short for proper intonation. But thats an easy fix. Just be prepared for that issue

matty428 likes this.
  4. fender4life

Thanks. Would you say it took the squier's tone more towards a vintage style tele tone? I really wish someone made a vintage style 3 barrel bridge that would drop in, but i figure this may be a way to get part way there.

matty428 likes this.
  5. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Yes. But you know there are so many other pieces of the puzzle that are involved with that vintage tone issue you're seeking for!. They definitely are awesome improvement to the stock ones that came with the guitar.I personally don't like the functionality of the 3 barrel set up.Just me.Six saddles intonate six strings better than three, vintage or not. Just my opinion.

matty428 likes this.
  6. fender4life

7. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

matty428 likes this.
  8. fender4life

I will assuming i get those. Probably will but gonna look a bit more to be sure. I measured and it seems the 10.8mm is the one. I think what i am hearing that i don't like are the saddles, and part of that is a plinkiness in a real high frequency, and the other is a hard attack rather then a bit of give on the attack like i get with brass. Thats somewhat similar to what i hear with some 3 barrel bridges with steel saddles compared to brass. But this is slightly different and worse, so fingers crossed that brass eliminates that.

matty428 likes this.
  9. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

The saddles are going to help a bit. But don't forget about your pickups, their hieght, nut, strings, pots ,ect... Brass is way less like you said " plinking " than steel by far. I wish I could hear what sounds you like. That would be cool. I think you'll like those brass saddles. If not you can always find something else out. If you do get these make sure to
    sand
    any rough edges the strings come in contact with.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    matty428 likes this.
  10. megalo82

megalo82 TDPRI Member

48F3888A-230F-4083-8DAD-3C6AA428F6DB.jpeg B887F567-3571-456A-9E60-44B4D5EF6498.jpeg I’ve swapped with a vintage bridge, but it’s not straightforward, you have to drill new holes for the strings in the bridge and new holes in the body, just in front of the strings, inside the routed part. I have to fill the rear holes but I love the result! For the Tone i don’t know how to tell you, I’m a beginner and every guitar sound the same bad way with me

48F3888A-230F-4083-8DAD-3C6AA428F6DB.jpeg

68Telebass and TequilaCaster like this.
  11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I replaced the, horrible,bent steel ones in my ltd edition Am std.
    Night and day difference in balance between the strings and "solidity" of notes.
    Strings also stay put.

upload_2020-10-7_8-25-16.png upload_2020-10-7_8-25-16.png

TequilaCaster likes this.
  12. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

16020524914796568892053989738681.jpg
    Yes, infact I went all brass on my new Bullet. I got rid of the cheap plastic nut & in a new bone nut. It now also has a neck 1970's zebra humbucker in it. Perfect for jazz. PSX_20200615_140334.jpg ]

68Telebass, PhredE and TequilaCaster like this.
  13. TheLondonRiots

TheLondonRiots TDPRI Member

Looks great, what size saddles did you use? I'm looking to do the same to my Bullet saddles, I reckon the ones on it are just over 10mm wide, so I'm hoping the Chinese ones I've ordered (10mm) will do a job

Jazzerclean likes this.
  14. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Dude buy the right size or they will move all around. Made the mistake my self. If you need 10.8,buy 10.8! Need 10.5 buy 10.5! Smaller will work but they will be moving all over the place moving all saddle screws!Trust me l know from experience. It sucks! You'll regret it! Just long up the 30 bucks and get the correct size!

15. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

where did you get the brass tuners? those look incredible!

Jazzerclean, Billy3 and matty428 like this.
  16. bls82261

bls82261 TDPRI Member

17. fender4life

18. bls82261

bls82261 TDPRI Member

^^^
    I think you will be pleased

19. fender4life

I'm positive i will be to some degree. The problem is to WHAT degree. I need them to eliminate some things about the tone i hate that i believe are the pot metal saddles and a 75% improvement ain't gonna cut it. But we shall see.

20. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Thanks,sounds great now, i wanted to mellow it down from the SS parts giving a very bright sound. Unsure of the saddle size prob same ones you ordered. It sounds powerful and very warm now.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.