1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone trade a Boss Metal Zone before?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by BadTranslate, Nov 25, 2020.

1. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

Have an opportunity to trade some household stuff for one. It's not something I'd use. I'm wondering how easy or hard it would be to trade on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace for another pedal I'd actually use.

Anyone have any experience? Did you get many trade offers for non-metal related pedals?

I just don't want to trade for a paperweight.

Thanks!

2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I think you would have a hard time trading that Metal Zone for anything. But having said that, the metal zone is more versatile then you may suppose. You may just want to give it a shot and maybe you will hear something you like. Good luck.

3. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Meister

Would selling it for $50 and then buying something else to trade be out of the question?

I say that because I didn’t trade for one, but I did pay $50 for one... For the sole purpose of having one. When I was a kid I wanted one and could not afford it. It can be as bad as everyone says and I’ll be happy. There might be more than one like me out there too...

4. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You might be able to get $50 for it. They're pretty ubiquitous at this point, there's so many out there. I have one that I bought off a kid who modded it with a bunch of extra switches and stuff. I never really use it but its fun to play around with now and again.

Also, try running it in your effects loop or using it as a preamp.

5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I think the Metal Zone is one of those that can be hard to move not because it's bad (though some people certainly have that opinion), but because it's ubiquitous. "Everyone" has one, just like "everyone" has a DS-1, which is why both pedals seem to languish on Craigslist and the like unless the price is a steal.

Of course, they still have their devotees. I have a Keeley-modded DS-1 and still bought another DS-1 from Craigslist just because it was supposedly modified in some other way. The price was great and even if it was busted or if I hated it it's an easy enough pedal to mod however I'd like.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You have to use a Metal Zone correctly ... and then it works for what most need it to do.

It's a first or early bought pedal for many teenagers .. when they have a buzzy practice amp they don't know how to tame so they put all the knobs on 'ten', they dime the guitar controls and never move them, and they jack a Metal Zone in there with all the knobs maxed. "Metal Duuuude!" \m/ ... and when they get a little wiser they decide the pedal might be the bad part of their signal chain.

Don't push the pedal gain knob higher than 3 o'clock or it gets too fizzy. Use the EQ knobs.

Brian Wampler, of Wampler pedals, started off his pedal business by modding Metal Zones. He likes them for the single fact they have a usable EQ built-in. You can find several of his mods listed on various forums.

I found the "Waza Craft mod" and did a half-Waza-ectomy to a Metal Zone I got in a guitar trade, by clipping one of two parts they cut out and it's a much better pedal after that -- gets rid of the fizzy problems. The Waza Craft Metal Zone is a $250 pedal where the basic pedal is around $75-ish new?

They can be improved by stacking another pedal, such as a DS-1/TS/Klon(! lol), in front of it and then using both pedals with much lowered gain. The distortion sounds a lot better that way than using either pedal alone at high gain.

Ola has a good time seeing if "will it chug?"... and defines the best use for him for one.

radiocaster likes this.
  7. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

the metal zone was cool for noise sets to cut bass and get really harsh, or to jack bass and get that blown out lower mid thing. but i don't like it on guitar. i prefer the swedish chainsaw:

8. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

I can't make heads or tails of this. If you wouldn't use a Metal Zone, why go through a lot of steps to get one and then get rid of it?

Just buy what you actually want with cash. Done. ;)

ieatlions likes this.
  9. SKEsq

SKEsq TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I kinda love the MT-2. It's not terrible if you accept it for what it is.

ThermionicScott likes this.
  10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Trading is not easy. Expect at least 20-30 offers of stuff you don't want. You may get even 50 or more offers of stuff you don't want over a period of a year or two.

northernguitar likes this.
  11. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

Thanks for the input!

The guy also had a Boss DS-1 and I said I would trade for that instead even though it was $20-$30 less than what I had to trade. I asked about the condition. The guy said the pedal had some scratches and that he would THROW IN the Boss Metal Zone to make up for it! :cool: Happy trading!!

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've heard some very bad things about the circuit in the Boss Metal Zone. :eek::eek::eek:

northernguitar likes this.
  13. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Meister

I think you could trade it for other mass-produced BOSS or perhaps Digitech or EHX pedals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.