Anyone That Disses the Dead...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1293, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

"He's" gone. Bobby short shorts, I dunno....

Greggorios and Blue Bill like this.
  2. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

I spotted this car in the parking lot after our hometown high school football game.....
    860B6A3E-BCA9-4AC5-9D3C-105F4CC4D456.jpeg

raysachs and Blue Bill like this.
  3. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Funny, Long time ago I was doing a wedding and, playing a little solo spot by myself, I busted into a Dead tune. Little kids started dancing all crazy right in front of me. I commented to the mother "All right! Jerry's kids." She got really upset, grabbed her kids and stormed away saying "There's nothing wrong with my kids!" She thought I meant Jerry Lewis's MD kids! Had to track her down and explain and apologize. Too funny.

radiocaster, Blue Bill and Chip like this.
  4. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Funny...weird, briefly scanned the thread...wut...nobody mentions the koolaid. Obviously some of the folks did not have the opportunity to "play in the band" lol. I started seeing them as a teen in the midwest in 76 in very small places 2-10k souls. Yea some nights were off but when it was on there was nothing better....we forgave the boys...its difficult to be fired at every show. By the early 90's I was done...because it became such a sh**show mob scene.

bloomz likes this.
  5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I liked some things they did and not others. But I like most of what I've heard - and that's bucketfuls of official releases and countless boots..

One thing that has constantly amazed me is Bob Weir's rhythm playing. It can be a 2-chord song and in 10 minutes he'll rarely repeat himself, yet have the most incredible, driving groove going. Most non-fans or casual ones don't have any idea how really good - and vital - he is.

6. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

First time I saw the Dead - Crystal Ballroom Portland - I thought they sucked.

Never considered myself a Deadhead but I did go to another 75 shows or so.....

Only era I didn't care for that much was I believe 72-78 - yeah when they had the chick singer. (and yes I know her name) - Yet I still went to the shows - cuz a huge part of the show was the audience - to see that many hippies come out of the woodwork was nothing short of glorious.

That happened again last summer with Dead and Co.

I cried the day Jerry died...

I loved the way the drummers worked (work) together but until Otiel the bass was always sorely lacking - big holes in the bottom. They really needed 2 bass players as well.

And - I do remember Bear's koolaid - made in a garbage can (at least) once....all shows I attended until the last 4 I was backstage. Funny thing is, never paid much attention to the music - it was just background for the party going on.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    P Thought likes this.
  7. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Always loved everything about the band but fell out of love with the crowd in the early seventies. Once they were playing at stadiums, it was like being in a bumper car rink without a bumper car.

8. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Recreating the Wall of Sound with a modern-day, fully functional wall at the iconic Capitol Theater in Port Chester Dec 14th. Doing a little shedding of a nice Jerry bit in Eyes from the Dead movie made from those shows. Fun!

Jakedog, bloomz and Chip like this.
  9. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

We did the show once before in Asbury Park. It was very big.....

DOL Wall stage.jpg

nice rig I got to use

DSC_0443.jpg

10. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, my first shows were early '70. Actually, one of the things I like about 'em has always been that they're not for everyone. They never seemed to be commercializing their sound or tracking trends - just playing what they felt like playing. And you could take it or leave it.

bloomz likes this.
  11. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

“We're like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice really like licorice.”

― Jerry Garcia

12. twotone60

twotone60 Tele-Meister

When I was in college, my band played five or six Dead songs and I was way into them. Saw them live on consecutive nights at William & Mary Hall in 73, and basically have never listened to them since.

They were so unfocused, so uninspiring, so grooveless and so, so, repetitive. Garcia in particular, was just awful. He played the same 4-5 licks over, and over, and over, and over, and over...well you get the idea. Meanwhile a group of about 50 dudes pressed up against the stage in front of him and went nuts every time he wheedly-deedlyed.

I think the Dead fans turned me off as much as anything. Also, their vaunted stacked to the ceiling, supposedly state of the art sound system didn't sound nearly as good as the Allman Brothers with less than half the equipment at the same venue.

Some of the songwriting is pretty cool, though.

13. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I love them as an acoustic act. I think Garcia is one of the great acoustic artists.

14. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

As a 66 year old born and raised in California, I had lots of exposure to the bands of the 60's and 70's. I never liked anything the Grateful Dead did, not one song. I always thought they were overrated and most of my musician friends thought so, too. On the other hand, many of my non-musician friends thought they were great. Go figure. To each their own.

15. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

That's exactly what I thought that first time in about 66 - Jerry sucked and that bass player sucked worse.

But then Jerry went on to become a virtuoso who could play for 20 minutes without repeating a line. Hell I suffered thru the chick singer (if you call that suffering - lol) and Jerry just got better and better - some of the 80-'s shows I still listen to on XM and he was phenomenal.

He did get worse tho, sadly. Those seem to have been peak years as the dope took over. I watched this about 6 months ago and my young son asked me why I was crying. I said "look at this sad broken man". - One month to the day before his death (I saw my last show in May 95)

(Sorry to bring a sad song into this)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    P Thought and twr102 like this.
  16. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I know. Old thread I'm replying to here.

We're haters because we hated the s**t we heard on 99% of their albums, and wouldn't even THINK of going to one of their shows.

For the sex and drugs maybe, but not the rock and roll.

17. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

People are allowed to like some bands and not others. This is still a free country. Just 'cause we're all guitar players doesn't mean we have to have the same taste in music. If you like people that I don't, or don't like people that I do, I'm secure enough that I don't feel compelled to force you to capitulate and agree with me. Maybe it's because I don't do Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, so I don't care how many likes I get, or how many followers I have. Or maybe I'm just not as insecure as many people, and I don't have to have constant gratification from people I don't even know to make me feel important or useful.

18. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

There is no way I could sit through the entire 13 minute song. After just 30 seconds it was apparent that it is long, slow, and boring.

19. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Love the Dead, but they have a lot of unlistenable stuff. Spotify has a pretty decent playlist of live and album cuts.

20. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

There's certainly something about the Grateful Dead, I just can't pin point it. :lol:

1gntaw.jpg

bloomz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.