1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone take lessons from Brent Mason?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by teletail, Jun 3, 2020.

1. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I'm curious if you did, how you liked them. I watched his videos on Guitarinstructor.com and they didn't seem to be very well organized. I don't mind paying top dollar for lessons, but I do want to make sure I get my money's worth. No disrespect intended, Brent is an awesome player and seems like a nice guy from his videos.

2. mortron

mortron TDPRI Member

You should prioritize what it is you need from an instructor. Maybe you're a person who craves structure. Maybe you like an informal situation, where you work on specific things at your leisure etc.

Online, you're kind of only accountable to yourself. If you don't want to do it, you don't have to. Sometimes having someone working with you weekly gives you that sense of accountability you need... Aka that kick in the pants we all hear about.

I would love to take online lessons given my location etc, but find that lots of the YouTube Lessons don't suit my learning style. The biggest issue I find is that it's hard to know where I need to work etc. Working direct with someone either online or in person, gives them a chance to critique your playing and identify areas that need work. It's one thing I keep going back to in making a decision.

Since I am trying to fill 20 years of holes, I am kind of unique in that situation. I've seen plenty self taught folk learn online with ease (seemingly).

The best guitarists I know are the same people who said they'd never be able to teach lessons because of various reasons, not all bad ... It takes a certain kind of person, and as you've noticed, intangible skills like organization become a part of the formula in finding a teacher that makes you comfortable.

3. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, but not really looking for information about online lessons in general, I already take them, would like to know about Brent specifically.

4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Any idea what he charges for a Skype lesson? I know I could use a "kick in the pants" just not sure what direction I want to go. Plenty of top notch pros offer lessons now.

5. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I saw on the internet, not on his site though, that it was $200 an hour.

6. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know, but maybe it would be kind of cheaper to slow down the record and pick by ear what is going on. Then you go, oh, you can play this funny lick over that A chord ? i didn't know that. cool.

Just my opinion though.

7. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

Don't know about Mason, but my wife once got me a lesson with Guthrie Trapp. It was $150 per hour. I'm assuming it's at least that.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  8. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Yea, but that doesn't teach you anything about his thought process or how he does what he does, or what you may be able to improve on, or what you may be doing wrong, etc., etc., etc. ;)

There is a value to studying with a good teacher that you don't get any other way except taking lessons.

johnny k and TwangToInfinity like this.
  9. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

i have thought about a lesson from him quite often, i have watched all his interviews and clips, he is a very bright guy and believe i would benefit alot from a critical assessment from Brent.

being honest with myself i feel i need to put in a lot more work first so i would be ready

10. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't argue, but I do think one of the benefits of a good teacher is that they help you focus on what you should be working on.

T Prior likes this.
  11. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I certainly think it would be worth a shot, I would want to know what to expect in advance and also prepare myself so you can maximize results. You can learn a lot on your own but I agree the right instructor is well worth the investment.

12. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green Tele-Meister

Honestly, what you want to learn from a player like Brent is not the nuts and bolts of guitar (scales, chords, etc). We got the internet for that. What you... or should I say "I" - What I want from players like that during a lesson is how they think. What they did. I want to observe their habits. This is the stuff a garden variety teacher can't show you. Most teachers aren't Brent Mason. To me that stuff is invaluable. We may be different, but that is the value I see in it.

fenderchamp likes this.
  13. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Most earthlings aren’t Brent Mason...

14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

What if you recorded yourself then sent him an email asking him what he would focus on in a couple of lessons based on what he heard? Hopefully he needs the gig enough to respond. But he might have too many students already. If you can afford it maybe just do one lesson and see what you think.

15. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

We're really off topic with most of the replies. I'm really just looking to see if anyone has taken a lesson from Brent, and if so, how did they like it. No one has to sell me on the importance/value of lessons or Brent's extraordinary playing.

Thanks

That Cal Webway likes this.
  16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

We're off topic because probably none of us have dropped the coin for a lesson from him so we're just commenting from the peanut gallery.

Fretting out likes this.
  17. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If I was gonna take a lesson from a musician of that caliber, "I" would prepare by having a handful of really good questions ready. Specifically relating to what it is about their playing and their approach that compels one to pay $200 a lesson. You want whatever it is they have to say and show you to last for at least 6 months worth of study - if not a lifetime.

18. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

Irony is apparently my specialty, as evidenced by the comment that I am making here...but it sure seems like a lot of answers to everything BUT the question that you asked. I clicked on the thread because I was curious to hear about lessons with Brent Mason, and not a single reply addresses that.

Fretting out, JimB and teletail like this.
  19. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I've sat there many times myself.

20. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

homer simpson thinking.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.