Anyone take beetroot supplement?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Dec 25, 2019.

1. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Whatever ad keyword service we've got going here isn't missing a trick. I'd never even heard of beetroot before today.
    Screenshot_20191225-161233.png
    More on topic, I've taken fish oil in the past but the "seal burps" made me quit. If I recall right there's a vegetable based derivative that can be used in place of fish oil that escapes me, maybe I should investigate. I do take vitamin D at my doc's suggestion.

2. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

Fish oil has to be of good quality. Vascepa, the kind you get with a prescription is expensive as hell. That should tell you something about the significantly cheaper stuff you buy over the counter. You also need to be careful as some research suggests a link between fish oil and prostate cancer. https://www.webmd.com/prostate-canc...might-boost-prostate-cancer-risk-study-says#2 The suggestion I got from my brother (a doctor) is not to exceed 3 grams a day. Flaxseed is also a good source of Omega 3s.

Beets are supposedly high in dietary nitrates. Your body uses them to produce nitric oxide, which helps endothelial tissue and several body processes. Again, the quality of the product makes a huge difference.

3. kuvash

kuvash Friend of Leo's

Beet root,fish oil let's talk about the questionable big ticket items like fecal transplants.

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. kuvash

kuvash Friend of Leo's

New Christmas tradition started today two eggs fried in bacon grease just like my mom made them.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  5. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I learned the term beetroot in 2000 when traveling in Australia . Aussies put them on hamburgers and I agree with them . Pickled , of course .

trev333 and kuvash like this.
  6. carpenter

carpenter TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

yeah i drink super beets every day.
    not bad taste like cherry juice.

7. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I just eat beets and fish. Much tastier than supplements.

kuvash likes this.
  8. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

That's the cure for Cdiff but only if they catch it in time actually they call it a poop enema :eek:

9. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Beet root powder is apparently high in nitric oxide....considered a 'miracle molecule'. The body produces it and we get it in our diet but I suppose for some they may get benefits from further supplementation

10. Patton

Patton TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I take flax seed oil pills now instead of fish oil due to the “seal burps” as an esteemed poster described. They both really help out in the cold dry winters here. I used to get that cracked skin thing that took forever to heal at the edges of my thumbnails before but never since taking either.

I also am trying tart cherry extract pills to help with the gout I have. Verdict isn’t in yet on if that one is helping.

11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

My Oncologist asked me to cut out my Omega 3's, bulletproof coffees, etc. to see if my recent PSA elevation would fall. I forgot to include the flax I use in my cereal in my ingestion history. *

*see the concurrent prostate thread

12. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don’t know, but I hear it will set you free.

39martind18 and bender66 like this.
  13. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Placebo effect ... Consumer perceives a nonexistent benefit while in reality his wallet only becomes lighter ...
    B12 supplements are my favorite ...

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mmm.. Beetroot on burgers... yumm..;)

we grew up eating tinned Beetroot on salads.... you get used to it...;)

Burger.jpg beetroot canned.jpg

People in the bush without refrigeration always had a lot of canned food in the pantry..

Rumour has it , the opal miners out in the desert country kept the juice from their gallon tins of beetroot to mix with whatever spirits/alcohol they had .... waste not, want not, I suppose when water is short.. ;)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a big fan of Beetroot on my burgers too. I also like them on the side with BBQ, Potato salad etc.:)

16. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Supposedly beet greens are loaded with potassium, I've tried to find just the greens in the produce section but they always have the beets attached.

17. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Farmer markets or an organic store with fresh items is your best bet. They are indeed good. We prepare beets many ways and one with the greens is a dinner or lunch leftover favorite.

My wife's befriended a coworker with family that sells them at a Sunday farmer market. On Mondays the woman gives away what didn't sell. Few people ever take the beets so we don't even have to grow them anymore!

For one of @Chunkocaster comments, I'd suffer to eat that way. That would be down right hard on me. Taste, aroma, color, and textures with nice mixes of it all are much of what I live for. Except for poor quality, I hate to miss any of it for a moment. Poor quality and too greasy are the only things that stop me from always liking to or wanting to eat.

18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

A burger can be whatever quality you want it to be. You can make it from whatever you like including organic ingredients or what used to be called just normal food before our food supply was taken over by large corporations. My old boss made the best burgers. He would visit a farm a few times a year to buy whole cows and pigs and have them slaughtered and then butchered by a local butcher. Vegetables were all home grown in his back yard. Tomato sauce was made from tomatoes they grew, olive oil was home made pasta was home made etc. No store bought produce could match it in taste. The farmers markets are close but they still grow for profit and also having known a few sellers some of them source their produce from elsewhere in order to maximise profits or sustain supply. A lot of the sellers are not farmers but people who buy produce and sell at the farmers market for profit.

Aside from that i'm fine with eating a microwave dinner or grabbing a burger from Burger King to save the hassle of cooking. It all goes in and out and your body uses what it needs from it and discards what it doesn't if you keep active enough.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  19. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Beets are disgusting...

20. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I've been trying for years to get my Doc to prescribe just one (or two) shots a day...no dice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.