Anyone suggest some pickups that can handle distirtion but also have nice cleans?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by shredsmcgee, Oct 22, 2015.

1. shredsmcgee

shredsmcgee TDPRI Member

So basically the stock pickups on my affinity Tele just aren't doing it for me. I mean it could even be my amp? I'm playing through a vox ac15. Cleans are great but kicking over to distortion gives me this weird sort of deep tinny tone (best description I can provide) however the distortion going through my hollowbody guitar through the vox sounds fine suprisingly. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a pickup set that I can swap the stock pickups for on my squier affinity Tele?
    Thank you!

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The first thing is to try using the tone knob. I roll the tone back on my Tele just a little bit when using higher gain sounds (which means Marshall and Boogie in my world).

3. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

Definately check your eq when jumping to distortion.

I personally prefer low output pickups and lots of grind.

4. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Tele-Meister

Texas Special PUPs

5. teleaboutit

teleaboutit Tele-Meister

There are a few more details that'd help decide if it's your pickups that need changing or if something can be tweaked in the rest of your setup.
    First, what kind of pedal are you using to kick distortion on?
    Second, how loud are you setting your amp for both cleans and distortions? Both your pedal and your amp volume will be interacting in producing your distorted tone: a loud amp might sound better with less "drive" from the pedal. On the other hand, if you're playing at quieter volumes, the cleans can sound great but some distortion pedals will tend to sound artificial, harsh, fizzy, or not harmonically rich. Let us know what else is going on in your rig!

6. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Bill Lawrence Keystones. They are cheap and do pretty much everything well.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Any pickup that sounds good clean should give you a good drive tone too. All you're doing is turning up the gain to the point clipping occurs in the gain stages, so you have the same waveform going through, you're just now cutting off the top part of it.

8. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

It's normal to have to re -eq when going from humbuckers to single coils. Remove highs.

9. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

Just about any pickup can handle distirtion....
    I just want one that won't bumch my shrit. :D

10. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

^ This right here.. More info is needed as to what you are doing with it.. Are you talking a distortion pedal or are you using the Top Boost channel? What else is going on settings wise..

I play a Classic 60s Tele with the stock pickups through an AC15 every day and its nothing close to what I would call "tinny" whether I have the Normal channel or the TB channel cranked to 10. Its bright sure, but in a rather lovely 'biting' way as opposed to doing the icepick thing. My usual setup is a Boss HM-2 into the Normal channel just about all the way up and it is nothing but thick and Sabbathy evil. But the distortion knob on the pedal is just below noon, and both EQ knobs are set right around 1 o'clock. In general, that single coil Tele is definitely going to react different than a big hollowbody would (Im assuming its got humbuckers in it?).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.