Anyone still using a SHO?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by schenkadere, Aug 9, 2019.

1. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

2. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

We actually traded ours 1998 model year for a Z3 Focus, the SHO, crazy car with electrics issues. It was full of demons. But it would fly.:eek:

3. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Should have thought of the Ford and Mad Professor title overlap.

4. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

still have it, it isn't my primary booster these days but I'd never part with it either.

5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

To add insult to injury, Vex didn't even include protection for the transistor with the earliest ones. Just a little ESD is all it takes to kill a mosFET.

But beyond low parts count, IMO tweaking some of the handful of parts can make the SHO sound better with the typical rig - I like dropping the input impedance and the input and output caps. You can basically just take how the first SHO stage in the Box of Rock or Distortron are handled, and that's pretty much sufficient (and they have the protection diodes to keep the transistors from frying, too).

BBill64 and artdecade like this.
  6. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Not that I am looking to do it, but what you have to do to fry a SHO?

7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

You don't have to intentionally do anything. The SHO uses a mosFET transistor. What's involved in the structure of a mosFET makes it potentially "fragile at the input," trying to put things in layman's terms.

Stuff like ESD will kill a mosFET, and it was probably the most common reason that Vex had to replace transistors in the non-protected SHOs.

The good news is that you can retrofit either a pair of basic silicon diodes, or a single 9.1V Zener diode, or even just an LED (which is what the runoffgroove.com Peppermill uses for its mosFET transistor stage), and the mosFET will be sufficiently protected.

artdecade likes this.
  8. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

my bandmate is using my zvex SHO as a splitter/booster at the mo. I built one and gave it to an organ playing friend who's ELKA needed a bit of a boost to hit the Leslie with enough gain. It does what it do and it do it good.

9. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

I had the Chicago Stompworks clone for a bit, I had gotten it for like $35 off reverb. It does brighten up the signal a bit, which can be nice for some I guess but I found the brightness that comes with the impedance thing sounded a bit harsh with my rig at the time. Maybe now, since I have a different amp, I would like it but it didn’t quite jive with me at the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.