Anyone still use a 4x12?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by scottser, Sep 9, 2017.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 4x10", it's built in the Marshall style and it's pretty easy to move. I put casters on it, but I can move it up stairs by myself, something I can't do with a 4x12". I find it even easier to move than a Fender Single Showman cab, those are heavy.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  2. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

One of my plans is to build a marshall style 4x10 cab with 2 celestian greenbacks and 2 ragin cajuns, with casters. One of my many plans...

3. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Tele-Meister

id like one, but its just so impractical for me. I live in an apartment...on the third floor. thats two strikes lol. Its overkill for an apartment and Im not lugging a 90lb cab down the stairs for a gig.

I am looking at a Marshall vertical 2x12 cab though. Not too big and not too heavy.

4. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

that's almost all i ever see playing out.

5. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

There was a time when all I wanted was a 4X12 but as a starving musician I couldn't afford it. Now my styles have changed, I am not gigging at the moment, and I live in a tiny apartment so it looks like the ship has sailed for the 4X12 sadly. Good thing small combos are "cool" because I have one of those.

I played in a Metal band in the 90's that toured around some, mostly smaller gigs. The shows we did the drums would be mic'd, at least kick and snare, but usually nothing else. The second guitarist and I both had 2X12 combos and there was just not enough volume. Wall of sound is a big part of sound.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

TC's approach to bass cabs (those are 2x10s)

[​IMG]

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  7. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have 2 2x 10s. I'm not sure why. When I hook them up to my '65 Tremolux they move a lot of air. I've never used them at a gig. Last place I played I used a '66 Ampeg Jet and it was fine.

8. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Same! I used to take the back seat out of my little Triumph Herald convertible and sit a Hiwatt 4x12 on the floor. Guitars and amp just squeezed into the boot.
    One night I was on the way back from a gig and got pulled over. The copper shone his torch on the cab, got me to to open the boot and had a look in there too. Then he straightened up, looked thoughtful for a minute and said:

"Ere, are you a musician?"

9. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

I have a 4x12 that I've never used and cannot find a buyer for it. I also built a nice little 4x8 cab that is killer but again, I've never used it.
    As long as I've played, I use combos.

10. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

My cousin has a 4X12 and he's trying to sell, nope a lot of players are using 2X12's
    or 2X10"s.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I just noticed a new listing on kijiji for a used Ampeg SVT 8x10 cabinet. How quickly do you think that will sell?

12. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

I use a 4x12 in the studio but it's setup with 4 different speakers and a 4-way rotary switch to choose which one is active. 4x12's have a sound to them because of the volume of the actual cabinet, and I like that sound. Being able to choose which speaker I want the sound of is great, but yeah...it stays put, lol. Ain't lugging THAT around anymore.

jimytheassassin and Frodebro like this.
  13. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

The 80's and 90's just called. They want their 4x12 cab back. Couldnt tell you the last time I saw one of those unless it was outdoors.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  14. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Only if they are empty.

Black-Veil-Brides-fake-cabs.jpg

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I should mention that I still see a LOT of 4X12 cabs at local metal gigs. In fact, that's pretty much all I see. That low-end....

cyclopean and Vespa_One like this.
  16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a Fender 4X12 slant with eminence and I built a pair of 2 X 12 with celestions and Eminence that I can stack to make a 4 X 12 and I can split and have 2 X 2 X 12 cabs for stereo split

P1011549.JPG

Its worth buying the 4X12 cabs even just for the speakers alone!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    jimytheassassin likes this.
  17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

that looks like a Kiss set up! except they use ampegs

18. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Tele-Meister

Thats actually really cool! Id stack it the other way though :)

19. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

When I was 16 I had access to what many would probably consider a dream 4x12. A Marshall slanted loaded with greenbacks. I had a Hiwatt Lead 50, and for a short time a modded 74' Marshall JMP Plexi. It wasn't moving it that bothered me, I didn't like how it sounded. I've grown very fond of 2x12's with a lot of depth to the cab, for more internal volume, to improve bass response. I haven't bonded with any 4x12's tonally. And now, for me the size and weight would be problematic, so I dont see the point.

The original 4x12's were poor, rushed designs in effort to get stage volume, and more importantly, power handling up. Back then 4, 6, 8 speaker cabs were more prevalent because that's how many speakers it took to get the required power handling to keep the speakers from blowing. (especially for bass) Modern speakers can handle in excess of 200 watts from a single driver. That's a huge improvement over the meager 25 watts that those vintage speakers could handle, at best.

If I want to lug that much weight/equipment around, I'd rather use a multi amp setup, which, to me, sounds far better than any single amp into a 4x12 ever would.

JustABluesGuy and alnicopu like this.
  20. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Sure do, but my 4x12 has 4 different speakers in it and a rotary switch to choose which one is active. Makes for a great studio tool when you want the sound of any of those 4 speakers, but not all at the same time. BTW, you might notice I mentioned "studio". It never moves.

A decade ago I had a live 70's style band and would bring 12, 4x12's, 12 heads (Marshall's and Oranges) and 3 SVT's for each show. Most of the 4x12's were unloaded but the SVT 8x10's were full up. It was a haul...and I'll never do it again!

jimytheassassin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.