Anyone still have their very first pedal on their board?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by adamgdog, Aug 21, 2017.

1. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

The first one that I actually bought....yes. Qtron v1. I've used it almost every day since it came in the mail in the 90's.

The Q was preceeded by a Univox Super Fuzz that was included with my Univox Hi Flyer and Univox 112 ss amp in the 70's ( bday gifts in my teens, and my first electric rig), then was given a used MuTron BiPhase by a cool old gentleman who never used it.

BubbaTheHutt and adamgdog like this.
  2. BubbaTheHutt

BubbaTheHutt TDPRI Member

My first pedal was a secondhand Crybaby wah. Although, like the Ship of Theseus, almost all the parts have been replaced -- two sets of new inductors and pots over the years, and a recent "pimp my pedal" action by pedalmechanic (external controls, led lighting) -- the shell of that wah is still my wah today. Does that count?[​IMG]

3. grilldanmo

grilldanmo Tele-Meister

Not long after I started playing (1985), my dad bought me two pedals:
    1. Boss DS-1
    2. Boss CE-2
    I still have them and every other pedal I ever bought over the better part of the next twenty years:
    • In the last three years Dunlop Crybaby
    • Mesa V-Twin
    In the last four years I've gone crazy!!!
    • X-Mas 2013, TC Electronic Ditto
    • November 2017, Flashback II
    ;)

Now I'm shopping for a board for my wife to get me for X-mas.

4. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

Sadly, no. My first pedal was an original Ibanez Tube Screamer that I bought in 1980 or thereabouts. After I had it a year or two, I decided that it didn't have enough gain to get that early 80's metal sound that I was after, so I sold it for a few bucks and bought some kind of no-name "Marshall in a Box" pedal that I lost track of. I also sold a Japanese Fender Strat and an original silverface Princeton Reverb during that time because they didn't go to 11. Grrrrr!

5. Besquire

Besquire Tele-Meister

Marshall Drivemaster was my first and still favorite Pedal.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't want my first pedal on my board. It was a POS. DOD American Metal - sounded like a high-pitched can of bees.

7. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Not THE first, but one of the first--DOD Graphic EQ. Have had to replace the switch twice. Use for clean boost for solos since about 1985.

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

My ancient Dunlop Wah and my MXR micro amp were in my first three pedals and are still in regular use. The wah has been modded by me in the last year with a couple of different voicings on a microswitch

I got an early boss HM2 around that time too but that has gone.

9. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Nope. Ibanez TS9. Sold it, a Morley noise gate and an old Arion Chorus pedal a long time ago. Would love to have them back.
    But I had a Series 2000 MXR Dyna Comp that I ran always on for 15 years or so.
    Was core to my sound.
    I bought a multi effects rack unit and sold it.
    The multi effects are long gone, and I'm using pedals again. Was looking in a music store at used pedals, saw one like it. On the inside battery compartment of my old pedal the previous owner before me had written some his initials on the circuit board. I picked that Dyna Comp up, thought, "No way", and popped the lid. It was my old pedal. Bought it on the spot and still have it. Ain't gettin away again.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    BubbaTheHutt, CWP0126 and awasson like this.
  10. Flemtone

Flemtone Tele-Meister

Not usually on my board, but I still have it, and I still bust it out around the house now and then.
    MXR Distortion+ that I bought in 1978

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

I bought these 2 in a Trio with the yellow distortion pedal as a package deal in 87', that distortion was hideous, was gone within 6 mo. But these 2 have been in use ever since, my 1st taste of stereo or wet/dry and still one of my go to pedals for flange, chorus and delays.

[​IMG]

I also bought 2 red knob Champ 12 with them as a stereo setup. Still have them today as well, they've been upgraded to Tone Tubby 40/40 speakers and are all decked out with NOS RCA, Sylvania and GE glass. Add a nice od pedal and those 2 pedals and amps will make you swoon they sound so good clean or pushed into OD. Amps are pure clean like little mini twins, 20/20 splits to stereo, it's just a enveloping swirl, then 8000 delay comes in to right amp only carrying out delay, then I add hint of Reverb to it with Hermida Reverb 3.

12. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Yup ,
    In 1980 I bought an Electro Harmonix Bad stone. Had to have it services last year but it is my favorite go to pedal

13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mine was a Maestro FuzzTone (late '60's). I loaned it to a friend and it got stolen. The next pedal was a Morley Power Wah Boost (mid '70's) that I ended up selling. The next was a Boss CE-2 Chorus (early '80's). I still have it and I rotate it with a Boss Dimension C, the "push button" chorus. I was an amp and cable guy for a long time. Mostly a '66 Epi Riviera and a Twin Reverb with JBL's. I built my first pedalboard out of a fiberglass cafeteria tray in the late '80's. I've used one ever since.

14. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

My first was the original version of the Electro Harmonix LPB-1 which you could either plug into your guitar or amp & switch in and out with a slider. It actually worked well after you learned NOT to turn it up all the way, and just use it to give a bit of ummph to your comparatively enemic gold foil pick ups. Bad form factor though, i belive EH eventually made it available in their traditional sheet metal stomp box, however it was less common. I laugh every time I see one of these on Reverb or something for hundreds of dollars..
    images-1.jpeg

The current one is in the Nano line, with a cast enclosure, and traditional foot switch it can still sound pretty harsh, but for @ $20 used its fun to have.

15. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

My first was a Joyo American Sound. It rotates through the board occasionally (currently on).

My second was a DOD 250 that my brother got me for Christmas one year. It's always on my board, and damn near always on. I like it so much I'm considering picking up another while they're $40 on Reverb.

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have one of those. They sent me one to review on the original Harmony Central years ago and told me to keep it after doing the review. It's a good wah.

ellisvertellis likes this.
  17. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

First pedal was the Vox wah still on my board.

18. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Never had a proper board, just always chained the crap together on the floor. Pretty much don't use effects at all anymore.

But I still have my first pedal! Thomas Organ Cry Baby Stereo Fuzz Wah bought in the mid-80s for around 15 bucks. Never really cared for it all that much, it spent many years as a doorstop in my old apartment (hence the white paint on the one side.). Still have it though, maybe I'll plug it in today and give it another shot!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

19. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Yep ... Old DOD Eq pedal that is killer still

20. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

My first pedal was a Kingston Fuzz with a sub-title as I recall "Fuzz Expander". It's Housing was shaped like a Fuzzface but as I remember it the sound was pretty weak. This was about 1969. My second pedal was a Cry Baby that I used in conjunction with the Kingston until it died that I then replaced with the blue and orange Univox Super Fuzz that was a lot better sounding fuzz about 1972. That held me a couple of years where I started using a NuFuzz in late 70's. These pedals were used without a board. Never had a board to mid 80's. I have three boards now. Platefire

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.