1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone Still Have Their First Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by psykobilly, Jan 23, 2020.

1. doombhoy

doombhoy TDPRI Member

IMG_2146.JPG

Matthias, naneek and mr newhaven like this.
  2. doombhoy

doombhoy TDPRI Member

1978 Custom Antigua.

naneek and mr newhaven like this.
  3. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I don't have my first tele-style guitar (that I built from parts at age 15 – unfortunately it was stolen twice) but my first Fender Telecaster, an AV52RI that I bought new in 2008 – the guitar in my avatar. It seems to have the right parts and the right weight and sounds fab.
    I tried a few mods like bardens, compensated saddles and later a Gotoh bridge but soon re-installed the stock pickups and bridge. Mods that stay are post-67 wiring and stainless steel frets.

stevemc likes this.
  4. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

Still have it, 1983 Top Loader. Bought new, 1983 Tele.JPG after I split with my now ex

stevemc and naneek like this.
  5. pcampbell

pcampbell Tele-Holic

I still have my first tele. It's this MIM thinline.

IMG_0676.JPG
    Got it new in 2008. It's a keeper.

stevemc likes this.
  6. mcrofutt

mcrofutt TDPRI Member

IMG_0007.JPG
    My 1966 bought new still have it and play it.

jaycoyoyo, naneek and mr newhaven like this.
  7. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Tele-Meister

This was my first: a Frankentele with Mexican, American, and Squire bits ranging from 1994 to 2001. I added a Gibson Classic 57 pup in the neck for jazz. I sold it to finance my second Tele, but I missed it so much I bought it back a few years later. IMG_1362.jpeg

8. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

This turned out to be a great thread!

9. Physicsguy

Physicsguy NEW MEMBER!

upload_2020-1-25_8-3-10.jpeg Sure do! It’s the one on the left. 2002 MIM. I’ve changed the frets to medium jumbo. I have a Lindy Fralin Blues Special in the bridge, and a Duncan Hot for Tele in the neck, and my buddy Charlie Mcvay put a g bender in it. I love this guitar, and will never let it go!

naneek likes this.
  10. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Thankfully, no. At the risk of sounding like a heretic I'm glad it's gone. Blonde white guard, maple neck late '60's; excellent condition but with a fatal flaw: extremely "wolfy" low E string that would not be tamed. Might be able to find a way to fix it now, but, at the time it seemed hopeless so I traded it off for who knows what.
    Later acquired a '92 mex that was much better; kept the neck and pickups but shed the rest of it. Have a couple 8-10 old CVs and couldn't be happier. Am a little envious of the luck I didn't have, but happy with my current set nontheless.

11. dvto2

dvto2 TDPRI Member

In 1974 I bought a 1967 sunburst telecaster. In 1981 I lent it to one of my best friends from college and he never gave it back. I asked him for it three times, around 1986, 1990, and, most recently, last year when I tracked him down. He says I gave it to him. He wanted to give me a guitar strap in exchange. I guess he makes fancy guitar straps. Losing the guitar is bad enough, but having a good friend betray you is truly awful.

I finally bought my second tele earlier this year, a 2015 American Standard, now my favorite guitar, but I would live to get my '67 back. Screenshot_20200116-230806_Chrome.jpg

stevemc likes this.
  12. boomsling99

boomsling99 Tele-Meister

13. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Very nice! They’re definitely related.

14. oldjohn

oldjohn TDPRI Member

Yes and no.

Still have my first T type, a cheap copy now modified with a filtertron in the neck, with its own dedicated bass roll-off control. Zero resale value, which is why I still have it.

My first Fender, an American Standard with belly cut and modern bridge went, in favour of a Baja 50s, which has the same pickups but looks and feels more traditional.

Crazy thing is the cheap copy gets picked up and played more often because it's always just leaning there against the wall where it can get kicked over, instead of safe inside a gig bag.

15. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

My first Tele "shape" was one of those (now famous) G&L Broadcasters (the fore-runner of the ASAT)... all black with an ebony FB. It was also my first G&L and was my permanent beginning to my G&L addiction. I've since had 20 or so G&Ls. IMHO, the best guitar company on Earth, but opinions are subjective and like belly buttons, every one has one. -- You all probably already know the story, but for those who don't... Leo Fender wanted to use the name "Broadcaster" for his new Tele-shape guitar now made by hid G&L company. AS did happen in the early 1950s, he got sued (again) by Gretsch for the product name (Gretsch has a drum called the Broadkaster, not even spelled the same) -- so Leo had to limit the run of the new Braodcasters by G&L to under 1,000 units. I had one of those. Back in the day, the over-inflated mom and pop store price was like $750-ish and you could have probably gotten one from a discount store for less.

Like a total dumbass, I sold it at a guitar show in Spartanburg, SC somewhere along about 1994-1995-ish. It was in mint shape when I sold it. I used the money to buy a Glock model 21, .45ACP pistol as our gun rights were being extremely threatened by our current President of the day. At the range I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with the thing, it just wasn't a good fit for my stubby hands. So I think I ended selling it at a gunshow later on. That is one guitar I really regret selling.

16. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I think I own their Mexican Baja cousin... [​IMG]
    Not my first Tele, but my most loved Tele, ever. 2018 Fender (MIM) Classic Player Baja Telecaster... new they are $825-ish... stumbled upon this ultra-mint butterscotch beauty at a local pawn shop... just hanging there on the wall like a picture of a Palyboy centerfold, screaming "play me, play me"... took her down, plugged her in... ran the serial number... realized it was a March-made 2018, and here it was at a pawn shop already in January of 2019... took it home for $300 cash, tax included... weeee 4-way pup selector, S1 switch on volume, fat soft-vee neck... yummm... I won't "need" another Tele after this one (but that doesn't mean I won't buy several more, haha)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  17. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

9506DC3A-AC0B-4F29-855D-CB1F9D60004A.jpeg
    Yep. It’s my avatar. A partscaster. Not letting go of it.

grooveiron likes this.
  18. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Recently got back from vacation and took my first Tele with me, a Squier Affinity with upgrades. Love the guitar but it’s also the least expensive one I have so it flew to China with me
    Somehow though it went MIA on trip home. I filed a lost baggage claim with American Airlines but they seem less than helpful
    We have a friend of a friend who works at the airport in China where we believe it was lost so maybe she can do something
    It has the neck unscrewed and was in a suitcase with my clothes.
    Do I have my first Tele ? Dunno
    Hopefully it will come back
    It was delayed a day or two going over so it may come back

19. pblanton

pblanton TDPRI Member

My first Tele is a Johnson I picked up at a pawn shop for $74. I took it all apart and completely redid it. It's very nice now. I posted about it here: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/i-grabbed-a-johnson-today.993637/

Since then I have acquired a Harley Benton TE-52 Vintage that was very nice, right out of the box. I highly recommend a Harley Benton "T-Type" if you want to try a Tele but don't want to spend a ton of money.

stevemc likes this.
  20. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I became a tele convert late in life. So my 2007 Baja is my only Telecaster and the first. I bought a case, which is all pictured in my avatar. It's my favorite guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.