Anyone Still Have Their First Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by psykobilly, Jan 23, 2020.

1. IrishDad95

IrishDad95 TDPRI Member

Not only my first Tele, but my first Fender. Likely a '98 American Deluxe, since I rescued it from a pawn shop in late December of that year. It's so versatile that it became my main workhorse. The five-way switch allows the typical pickup configurations of Bridge, Bridge and Middle, Middle, Middle and Neck, and Neck. A mini-toggle switch between the volume and tone pots puts the Bridge and Neck pickups together with the 5-way in the Neck position and gives me all three pickups when the 5-way is in the Middle and Neck position. I'm celebrating fifty years of bending wire this year and this thing has taken me to Europe, Africa and back in the 21 years I've had it.

PlainAllman likes this.
  2. Plectrumpusher

Plectrumpusher TDPRI Member

Sadly not got my Telecaster I bought in 1972 from Gig Sounds in South London UK. When i eventually sold it the body was dark blue sprayed by me from a few cans. Ive been looking out for it ever since with no luck.

Attached Files:

3. FlashBazbo

FlashBazbo NEW MEMBER!

Yes, I still have my first Tele. We are newlyweds. I took delivery yesterday. It’s a current model American Performer.

We’re just getting to know each other but so far, so good.

stevemc and PlainAllman like this.
  4. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

I got rid of every guitar and amp I owned when I went on active duty in the Navy. I had it with music, bands, drunks, druggies, and egotistical musicians. The only guitar I regret not keeping was my 1972 Electra Bass. It was made in Japan and was a Fender Precision copy. It was a fantastic bass.
    Funny thing when I was on active duty I met a shipmate who was a classically trained guitarist. He had a Martin stowed onboard my first ship. And he could play. So after a twenty plus year hiatus I decided to get a guitar and start playing again. Except I didn’t stop with just getting one guitar.

Jackroadkill and TeleTown like this.
  5. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

I think I own his brother. A1C86493-4138-4978-9828-CD5BC659A5C2.jpeg

stevemc, Mike SS and PlainAllman like this.
  6. cruiser32

cruiser32 TDPRI Member

Mine is a 1972 Fender Telecaster, which I saved for and bought new, with the natural finish, which was considered then, a custom color and the optional maple neck. I had a Gold (non logo) Gibson humbucker put in the neck position in late '72, which has now worn down the gold plating, to about half silver. Still have the original neck pickup in the case and changed nothing other than strings since then. I love this guitar and every time I think I might sell it, I also remind myself that I would never be able to replace it.

I still like what I feel and hear with this combination and honestly don't really care if anyone thinks I hurt the guitar or it's value by doing it. I bought it to play, sound great and perform at the time and it never let me down. Still have the original strap and owners booklet that came with it and one of these days I will figure out where I put the polishing cloth and the plastic warranty card! IMG_0231.JPG

7. brians356

brians356 Tele-Meister

I still have my first pro-quality guitar, a 1975 Thinline, natural ash, white P/G. A kid in my campus dorm had one, and I had to as well. So I drove 230 miles to San Franciso and Don Weir's Music City on Columbus Avenue and bought it brand new. I still have the original hang tag etc. With hard case and a set of Schaller tuners (don't ask) it cost $279 out the door. I still also have the brand new original tuners as well.

stevemc likes this.
  8. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

2006 Nashville Power Tele, replaced neck (twisted). One of two Teles, along with 4 semi and full hollow bodies that 20170102_215256.jpg 20170102_215256.jpg 20190425_133303.jpg live here: 06 Epi Sheraton USA, Epi Riviera Elitist 12 string, Heritage H-550 and D'Angelico Excel SS.

9. erikzen

erikzen TDPRI Member

I got my first Tele in March 2019 and I love it, so yes! American Performer Hum

10. wick_dawg

wick_dawg TDPRI Member

My first Tele is a 52 AVRI that I got in 2014. I still have it. I just made some changes to the pickups. Custom shop nocaster in the bridge and custom shop twisted Tele in the neck. I was playing a bunch of custom shop teles in a local store and I loved the sound of the ones with the nocasters in the bridge but not the neck as much. Then I loved the ones with twisted teles in the neck but not the bridge as much. So I combined the two and it sounds glorious.

it got a few chips and natural wear with the thin finish, so I exaggerated the relicing. I’ll pick at it every once in a while and playing it smooths it down to look more natural instead of deliberate. I also sanded the sticky finish on the neck to smooth it out. It plays and looks and sounds amazing.

this guitar will not be going anywhere.

PlainAllman likes this.
  11. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

Still have my first 2 telecasters

83 elite telecaster bought new
    78 standard heavily modded by the time I got it in 86

Love teles

Fretting out likes this.
  12. f69tele

f69tele Tele-Meister

E7225FCB-5358-4F36-8712-CC1E2EC3C208.jpeg Yes it’s my main axe! ‘69RI
    1998 model.

preactor and Fretting out like this.
  13. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Don’t feel bad , my father bought his natural 72 in the early 80s and proceeded to strip it and paint it in an impenetrable Emron paint along with other 80’s accoutrements
    so you didn’t do too bad

9AB44B6B-255A-46D7-9114-25AF21A83E00.jpeg

14. rednoise

rednoise TDPRI Member

"My" first Telecaster was a Tele Deluxe I had for a couple of years in the late '70s. It was a long-term borrow that I eventually had to return, so it wasn't really mine. I should have offered to buy it - it was really nice, especially the neck. Weighed a ton.

My own first Telecaster was a partscaster that I put together in 2004. It's made up of all Fender parts, even if they didn't come out of the factory attached to the same instrument. Still have this and have been playing it a lot lately.

CherryTele1a.jpg

stevemc and Mike SS like this.
  15. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mine is a '57 I bought in 1973 . Never had any reason to part with it even though I mostly played Strats .

Fretting out likes this.
  16. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I gave my first Tele to the son of my close friend when he passed away. He had been borrowing it when he passed, and I told his family to keep it for his son .

17. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

No, who knew back then. Nobody could have ever imagined . First was a 66 bought new in NYC. AT that time Teles and Strats were selling used in the $150 +/- everyday, all day. Traded it for a 62 Strat, played that for about 5 years. Sold that and bought a 69 Tele, played that right up thru the 90's. Traded it for a Hartke 300W /4x10 Bass rig.

I still do have my 3rd Tele though , a 1989 /52 RI. And there has been about 15 or 20 different ones come thru my hands since around 2000 or so. 5 remain. None were bought new.

The only guitars I still own which I bought new are a 68 Guild Acoustic , an 04 HWY 1 Strat and a 95' Fender 62RI Jazz Bass.

Lord only knows where that 66 Tele is today I just know its not with me....:(

Fretting out likes this.
  18. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

Still have it. I remember being in a pub in London having beers before a Sex Pistols reunion gig and I called my local music shop back home and asked them to order me in a MIM tele in black. I picked it up a couple of days later. Was just after my 21st birthday and it was my first electric. I'd probably sell my house before I sell that.

19. ELET Henry

ELET Henry Tele-Meister

Unfortunately I no longer have my first Telecaster it had a rosewood fingerboard and I bought it used in 1968 but have no idea when it was made, I still have my second Tele, it’s a blonde one with a rosewood fingerboard which was made in 1975.

20. swingtime

swingtime Tele-Meister

Yes. I traded this 1977 Tele for a Strat around 1988. It had two humbuckers. The body is brutally mutilated underneath the pickguard and someone painted it with a soft silvery paint that turned green in the following years. It has lots of wear. I used it for many years. For most of the time I had first generation Bardens on it. Now it has the pickups which were on a Baja Tele. Although it has always sounded great with whatever pickups were on there, it is now semi retired ... 20200125_105655.jpg

stevemc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.