Anyone Still Have Their First Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by psykobilly, Jan 23, 2020.

1. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

You digging that Tone Master Twin?? I got to spend 4 days with one at NAMM and it got me thinking...

2. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

26756658_197274820850602_2019506065414164333_o.jpg My Squire Vintage Modified SSH, in Artic White.

stevemc and RoCkstAr256 like this.
  3. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

Still got mine. It's been modded so heavily that the only original parts left are the body and the control plate. I got pics, but not at the moment. I picked her up last night.

4. RobbieAG

RobbieAG TDPRI Member

Yeah, but I only got it a month ago, and I've been playing over 50 years (mostly strats, archtops and luthier built)!

5. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Yep! 1996 52RI bought in 97 or 98, after hanging over a year dust-covered on the top rack of the store, in (ugly) butterscotch. Body and neck stripped and refined in all-nitro 2010, neck because it needed re-fretted, which I did myself, otherwise all stock, except for the Strat switch tip and strap locks. Was my workhorse for gigs, then felt I needed a dedicated G-tuned Tele too, so number two (aka Pantydropper), also ash and in nitro, with SD Seth Lover and Broadcaster pups.
    Original as of 2006 and after the refin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wow...reading this thread makes me realize how old my guitars actually are. So this guitar is 24 years old from its birth, as of 2020. That makes my 1st guitar, a '90 Squier II Strat...aw hell, I'm too old to do the math!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    stevemc likes this.
  6. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

How is that 4 way set up on that Esquire? I’m planning a project to revitalize my first Electric, a mid 90’s S type. I’m planning on a single humbucker in the bridge with Esquire style 3 way wiring but still in the planning stage so looking at other intriguing options.

7. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

My first was a black MIM Tele that I bought because it sounded awesome! Since then there have been lots of different ones come and go. Besides the nostalgia factor I have to admit the the ones I have now are far better guitars and sound just as good so I wouldn't want to trade them out. I don't have any really special memories attached to that first one other than hours of practice. My wife's first one was a Tele Select from a number of years ago, and I'm sure she'd never part with it except for a very special reason.

8. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

^ James I love the sig!

9. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sure am.

10. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

I'll let you know when I buy my first tele.

11. Arch

Arch TDPRI Member

I'm a lifer with mine as well. I'm 2 months older, so it's my job to mentor it!

Attached Files:

12. surfsup1955

surfsup1955 TDPRI Member

Still have it. It’s a mid/late 90’s G&L ASAT Special. Bone stock. Still have my first tube amp too. It’s a 1974 Music Man!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  13. 40flash

40flash TDPRI Member

The first and the last at least so far. It's the first guitar I ever built. Still have it. [​IMG]

Why can't I post pictures on this site???? They are pics I took with my cell phone. Don't know how to get a URL # for them so I can't attach. What am I doing wrong?

14. sdevine_1968

sdevine_1968 TDPRI Member

15. BillH5256

BillH5256 TDPRI Member

Circa '72 Thinline with Wide Range humbuckers, sunburst, maple, top hat switch cap, knurled knobs...traded on a whim couple of later.
    Glad I don't have a pic. It would hurt too much.

16. sdevine_1968

sdevine_1968 TDPRI Member

My 1968 Telecaster with Gord Miller Blue Daphne finish. I purchased it in 1980 and have had it since.

Attached Files:

17. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My first tele was actually an ASAT that I bought from G&L in Fullerton at the old Fender factory when I saw an ad in BAM that said they were selling off some demo guitars. I played a bunch of ASATs there through Randall amps and also a prototype Comanche. I played it a lot but it had MFD pickups and I kept wanting it to sound like a tele, but it didn't. It's on long term loan to a friend who loves it. So I bought a used tele at Guitar Center, a MIM ash natural finish that came with ceramic pickups and a white pickguard, but now has Tonerider pickups and a blackguard. Here they are, but this is before the pickup and pickguard change on the MIM tele. I still have the tele and play it a lot. It's great:

[​IMG]

stevemc likes this.
  18. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

My first "Tele" was a Stinger. I think Stinger was a company owned by Martin. It had a Tele neck pickup, a bridge humbucker with coil splitting and a Strat style bridge and whammy. The problem was, it had a plywood body! I ended up parting it out, but I still have the neck.

19. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

E7FA6FD3-EABF-42CD-B6EF-0F8A8B099A5C.jpeg I do. 1983 American Standard in Lake Placid Blue with TBX control with the original moulded case. 16539394-8FB6-4129-BB64-BA2FA4285AEA.jpeg It has some wiring issues and needs a refret, but I can’t part with it. I have two MIM FSRs that I regularly gig with, a GC Copperburst and a Black Paisley, but this one I’ll someday get playable again. I actually sold it once to a buddy and missed it so much I bought it back. I bought it when I was doing musical comedy in Toronto in 1990 from a pawn shop. I knew nothing about electric guitars but I loved the look and how it played and sounded. It deserves to be played again. I guess I need to start a Go Fund Me page!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    stevemc likes this.
  20. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Tele-Meister

Still have mine and will never let her go. 89/90 American Standard with Fender Custom Shop Nocaster pickups. Purchased used in the late 90s. Played tons of gigs throughout the '00s, and as a result could use some fret work. She's a bit on the heavy side - nearly 10 pounds. Strung with Ernie Ball 10-52s.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.