Anyone Still Have Their First Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by psykobilly, Jan 23, 2020.

1. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Holic

Yes, a 1985 Japanese Squier that I bought used in December 1987. I have treated it to a Smit Handwound bridge pickup, and removed the feedback-prone cover from the neck pickup. It recently had a much-needed fret dress. It acquits itself well alongside my other (mainly much more expensive) guitars, and still gets plenty of play time.

Attached Files:

Crobbins and Verne Bunsen like this.
  2. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

Absolutely correct, sir. Station Rd in Hanwell. Actually not far from Flying Pig either. Both gone now.
    I was at over from Norway, visiting my folks in Southampton and we drove up to Hanwell because their prices were worth it :) Bought the Tele, a strap, a case and a Fender Frontman 15R. Don't remember the price - I thought I still had the receipt, but apparently not. Very nice, very helpful and very tolerant of a novice.

I found them through ads in Total Guitar / Guitarist.

upload_2020-1-24_16-53-1.png

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Leopold63 and WingedWords like this.
  3. julmust

julmust TDPRI Member

Great story! :) Yes I still have mine, I unfortunately don' t play much though.

4. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Holic

39martind18 likes this.
  5. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Holic

If my partscaster counts, I still have it and don't think I'll ever get rid of it. As far as an actual Fender... I've had so much fun putting together and tinkering with the partscaster, I might not buy another guitar I don't assemble myself. But I've never had an actual Fender Telecaster.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I didn't get a Telecaster until after Katrina.

I had lost everything (except a '66 Fender student steel in case that was stored in a strange way and stayed out of the flood) and so after a long cooling off period, I decided I wanted something that was durable and could withstand a lot of abuse and bad conditions.

So, in late 2006 I got an NOS '05 American Series, maple board, in alder/black. Even though it is a Nashville right now and has an aftermarket neck on it, I still got it.

Before Katrina, I mostly didn't have Teles around. But sometimes I'd do a temporary trade with someone or take in a Vintage Tele thinking about possibly buying it.

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  7. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nope it was stolen years ago. I hadn't written down the serial# so I never had much chance of getting it back. It was a black '72 standard Telecaster. maple neck, with a prominent patch cord shaped dent just to the rear of the bridge. A friend of mine was playing it and his 2 year old son whacked it with a patch cord because his dad was ignoring him.

Loaded Goat likes this.
  8. milopera

milopera TDPRI Member

It may not count, but my very first real guitar is an 80's Washburn Tour 24 "Chicago Series" Telecaster copy.
    Still have it.
    Looks just like this:
    [​IMG]

9. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

I still have the 52 reissue I bought new in 1991. Bought it using a payment plan.

Crobbins likes this.
  10. tigertail

tigertail TDPRI Member

Sadly, no. My first Tele was a 72. Traded that off and got a beautiful 69, which I had for about 15 years. Really wish i kept that one!

11. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

If Squier Affinity BSB counts, no is the answer and I do regret getting rid of it. Many followed in it's wake, they too met the same demise. Including my first true Telecaster ( a Triple Caster)

However my first American Fender US Pro (HS) and a banged up MIM roadworn with a new neck are still hanging out and being played regularly. The MIM is scheduled for open bridge surgery as soon a I can get my hands on the flatware and PRail pickup I want for the bridge.

12. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Yes. It’s a 2000ish American standard bought new from Andertons. They’ve had far too much of my money down the years....

13. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yup, I sure do.

It was also my first electric guitar.

I was a young kid in 1972 and saved enough money to buy it at a garage sale. I paid $75 for it, including the original case.

It's got a 1963 serial number but the neck stamp is from '62.

It was Sonic Blue, with a rosewood slab neck and three layer pick guard. I thought the blue was a little too "sissy" for my wanna-be rock and roller self, so I hand sanded it down and slopped some stain and varnish on it.

I have replaced the pickups on it, recently had a Plek and refret, and changed out the volume and tone pots. I still have the ash tray, and it's still my #1 (and the only Tele I've ever owned)!

20180513_205349.jpg

Cheers,
    Doug

14. puddin

puddin Tele-Holic

Nope.. I sold my 2010 custom, 6 months ago, to a recording studio, on the west coast.

thumbnail_IMG_0478.jpg

stevemc, Crobbins and Verne Bunsen like this.
  15. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

I had to replace the switch on mine as it fell apart, changed the pickups too, love that guitar.

16. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

My '75, the one in the middle. I bought it new when i was around 18yrs old. Did some mods over the years but its basically back to stock except for the tuners (Kluson Revolution), bone nut, 250K pots and pickguard. I still have the original ashtray too!
    IMG_5236.JPG

Southpole, Crobbins and puddin like this.
  17. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Holic

When a Tele goes over to the dark side!

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My avatar Telecaster is the first electric I bought after a long hiatus from playing. It started out as a Nashville Deluxe. After a while I bought an American Standard Strat that did the middle pickup thing better. Hum from the unshielded Telecaster was driving me mad. I upgraded to N4 Noiseless pickups in an aged white guard and have left it alone since. This is probably the last Telecaster I’ll own but I’m completely happy with it.

19. RWB

RWB TDPRI Member

I had always been a Strat guy but thought I should have at least one Tele in the house. I bought a new JD Telecaster (Jerry Donahue) in 1995 and still have it. It's a great guitar and I love playing it.

20. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Yep. Here's my re-finned '83 top loader, with vintage bridge conversion, original pickups and wiring. Not a great looker, with that paint job- but easy to play, with an unusually flat fretboard and big frets. Great pickups, too. I may give it to someone, one day- but I'll never sell it, after 28 years of ownership.

1f12d5d879d94c1fb040f24d73e02997_r.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.