Anyone Still Have Their First Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by psykobilly, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Loaded Goat

Loaded Goat TDPRI Member

Yes..2010 mim fsr bsb

2. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I was teaching guitar in a music store during the seventies - the guitar was ordered into the store (I don't think I ordered it, most likely the store just got it in - but I bought it there - Primo Music, Walnut Creek, CA. 1976)

1976 Blonde Hardtail Strat
    [​IMG]

Just after buying it, I removed the tuners and installed a set of 1976 Shallers. I didn't keep the original tuners. :rolleyes:

At the time, I also installed an Alembic Stratoblaster, which was a 9v battery powered booster that replaced the output jack. It did what Clapton's Strat does, simply boost the signal from the signal coils.

I removed the Alembic about 10 years ago and re-installed the original output jack. So, everything is original, aside from the Shaller tuners, but they date back to 1976, just as the guitar does. :)

I DO have regrets, though. During that time I also bought a walnut brown Strat, a wine red Gibson SG, a Gibson LG-0, a natural Gibson ES-175, and a Martin D-35. I sold all of those guitars when I quit teaching there in 1980, and entered the corporate world. :( I only kept the blonde Strat hardtail.

Teles had no appeal to me, whatsoever, until I finally opened my eyes and bought my first Tele in 2013. Since then, Teles have totally eclipsed my love of Strats. Yes, I still love Strats, but Teles have become my favorite solid-body guitar of all time.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Chief_Nobody and Fretting out like this.
  3. 650thunderbird

650thunderbird Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This was my first*. It's gone through a few changes, but I still have it.

'90s Monterey "Stage Series"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Not technically a Telecaster

stevemc likes this.
  4. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I had a cheap Tele copy in the 70s. Should have kept it but I sold it to buy an Aria SG copy.

My first real Tele is a 1995 I think MIM half fat (aka hot rod) Telecaster. I hadn't owned an electric for years. A friend of mine gave me a BC Rich Bass, and I traded it plus a little cash for the Tele. I was looking for the most versatile electric I could find, thinking foolishly that I might only need one electric. My current number 1 is a Clapton mod Strat, and the half fat Tele is my backup. I've also had a couple other electrics since then, and currently also have a P90 equipped LP Special, but the Tele is still the most versatile electric I own. If I had to sell guitars for financial reasons, I'm not sure if I'd keep the Tele or the Strat.

5. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

While technically a Sortacaster, yes, the avatar guitar arrived in the early 90s, courtesy of a timely inheritance gift from Grandma Dot.

The Bigsby arrived later, when I couldn't resist any longer.

I hope to sell it last or never.

Peace - Deeve

psykobilly likes this.
  6. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

I do, it’s a ‘91 MIM. However, I traded it for something and bought it back two and a half years later. I was finishing up my undergrad degree and then was in grad school during that time and I didn’t play any of my guitars, so I really don’t count that. I bought it back with my first or second paycheck after grad school.

7. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes! My bought new black 1971 Telecaster.

8. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Are there photos of this instrument?
    Please

9. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Holic

Sure wish I had mine. It was a 1970, blonde with a white pick guard. It was fading out beautifully, sounded great. The frets were worn out and dressed down real low which made it hard to bend strings. Being a dummy, I didn't want to put money into new frets so I sold it to a guy in our band. This was in the 80's. Another regret!

10. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

E60F5ABB-4B16-46F2-A4CA-F03B28CB2CD6.jpeg 90’s Tele Thinline, right before they discontinued them in 2000. Still got it.

SAguitar likes this.
  11. Rob77

Rob77 Tele-Meister

Due to life financial woes, I had to sell my very first Les Paul, Strat, (gave away my acoustic) but still have my first tele!

SAguitar likes this.
  12. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Here is my 1971 Telecaster:

DSCN4015b.jpg

TelenTubes likes this.
  13. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

Yes I do, it’s a 92 AM ST.

14. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

no fender tele yet but i still own my first and second tele styles both peavey generation modded to Hh

15. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Amazing how many still have their first. My first was a thinline new in 1970 ...but only had it a couple years.

16. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Meister

The sunburst was my first one. It's not going anywhere, although I don't like the saddles and they're eventually getting swapped back out for some brass ones.
    teles.jpg

17. JBurton

JBurton Tele-Meister

Don't care for the "graphics", EXCEPT the Maico sticker! That right there would tempt me to buy it.

18. JBurton

JBurton Tele-Meister

My first was a '72 original Telecaster Deluxe in brown. Long gone now. :( ...(the dumb things we do)
    Since then I've only had an '06 American Series and a '10 Partscaster I put together.

19. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My first was a Samick and I traded it off. I wasn't well versed in Tele tone so I can't say if it sounded right or not, but it was a sweet solid build.
    My second was a Deluxe Nashville because I thought I'd get the best of Strat and Tele - it wasn't really either. It went down the road.
    Happy now with my Player Tele.

20. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Well , it’s not for sale

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.