Anyone speak Dutch?

sean79

Poster Extraordinaire
Browser keeps crashing when I follow the link, but I had a friend in high school from Holland. Taught me enough to try to pick up the Dutch girls going to other schools in the city. Jy hept geen lul. Or something like that. Never worked for me. Good luck.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
"Jy hept geen lul." As in "Jij hebt geen lul" is probably the worst pickup line you can throw at a Dutch girl so this friend of yours really pulled one on you.

Because "Jij hebt geen lul" means "You don't have a dick."

As for the song, it's in a nothren Dutch dialect and because of that very difficult to translate.

Tango

TDPRI Member
The singer has a great, dramatic, rock and roll voice.

I don't speak Dutch, but I'm sure he's singing about how some woman done him wrong! ;)

Any idea of the name of the band or the singer?

Maestro

Tele-Holic
Blazer is right. I even think it's ''fries'' so that would make it a other language (or so they would say) but all the northen dialects are hard to understand. But If you have the artist and lyrics I could have alook at it. I do know someone who knows ''fries'' so he could have a lookat it.

Jelly

Tele-Afflicted
Blazer said:
"Jy hept geen lul." As in "Jij hebt geen lul" is probably the worst pickup line you can throw at a Dutch girl so this friend of yours really pulled one on you.

Because "Jij hebt geen lul" means "You don't have a dick."

As for the song, it's in a nothren Dutch dialect and because of that very difficult to translate.

HA! That's pretty funny, er maybe not to sean79, though :p

natsteel

Tele-Meister
Right Tango the band is Tunebone - and they sing blues in a dialect
The song is called indeed "Hoast" which means "Hurry" - can't understand all text - I do like the song - all songs are downloadable for free from their website http://www.tunebone.com/tunebone.html
click on nav links left -"Tunebox" or "Geluid" for more free songes.

There is a song on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Riht9NLGIs

and they have a guestbook -

EMan

Tele-Holic
Yes, it's TuneBone..the guitar player is a pal of mine....and I 'believe' the dialect is called "Flemish"(?).

I cannot ask him for the lyrics, because I was gonna do a cover of Hoast in English, and surprise him....

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
"Vlamish" comes from Belgium and because I live close to the Belgian border I can truthfully say that that song sounds NOTHING like Vlamish at all. It sounds more like "Drents" or "Gronings" from the Nothern dutch provinces of Drente and Gronigen but it also could be "Fries" from Friesland.

If you wanna do a cover of "Hoast" and you now know that the word "Hoast" comes of "Haast" which means "Hurry" why don't you just make up your own lyrics about having to hurry?

Jelly

Tele-Afflicted
EMan, I gave it a listen and couldn't figure out anything! Normally I can understand a little Niederlaendisch, but this is something very out of the ordinary! For one he is trilling his "R" sound, which sounds really bizarre for a Dutchman. Maybe somebody else from the Netherlands will chime here soon.

dagger4

Tele-Meister
It's Gronings

I am a native Groninger so it's easy for me to translate this song.
It's a standard songtekst about living to fast, and don’t have time for the good simple things. Like family or friends.

It has absolutely nothing to do with goats or dicks :lol:

If you want to, I can make a detailed translation.

Gronings is also called Platduits in the north of Germany and it is an old Saksian Language. Much like the Fries (official 2nd Language in the Netherlands.)

There is another Groninger song by my Band Mate Martin Korthuis.
Its is his Own Work with a Solo Lineup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQgRRnXdihE

Best regards

Jelly

Tele-Afflicted
Bingo! We have a native-speaker! Hey, dagger4, do you really trill your "R" in Gronings? I'm down here in Bavaria, so there is lots of trilling going on, but I thought it disappeared up north.

dagger4

Tele-Meister
Reminds me of "the trill is gone".
Not in the Northern part of the Netherlands and Germany.
My dad managed to talk and do this thing all the way to Kiel and Hamburg.
And he does not speak a word "German".

But never the less, German an Dutch are for the outsider very similar languages. And Gronings probably is much the same as “Platduits”.

Not heard a sign from Eman.
Or did he translate the text with the Amazing Online Virtual Gronings-English Translator ;-)
(Googele that)