Anyone seriously consider one of those Tone Masters?

Andy ZZ

Tele-Meister
Like all new SS amps, they will be the buzz for a while.
I have learned my lesson.
Not a chance in hell.
-az-

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
One thing I really, really like about my Rivera Fender SuperChamp is that it has a mid-boost circuit that you engage by pulling out the treble tone pot. With the tone pot pushed in, the tone is pure silver/black face-- mid scooped and bright. With the pot pulled out, the tone becomes much thicker, more tweedy. It would be pretty cool if the Tonemaster line included a feature like that.

If for some reason you just had to play through a silver face sounding amp, such as using a back line, one option is to use something like a TubeScreamer or SD1 (mid-hump overdrive) to push the mids and deliver that thicker sound.

My main thought here is stick with the amp you have, at least for now, since it delivers the tone you like. How often do you have to haul it and deal with the weight? You can always get some kind of light weight hand truck to make moving it easier. A portage solution is way cheaper than buying another amp.

Well, right this minute? I am not hauling amps anywhere... But, the new band is about to start hitting stages soon. My goal is to be back gigging several times a week. A couple of years ago I was earning more money from music, than from my 40 hour a week day job. My goal is to get back to that point.... Eventually, not working that day job is the pipe dream.

I spent the first 30 years of my playing chasing tweed tone, without realizing it. I kept using pedals to get me that tone.... The first time I plugged into my Bassman? I knew right then and there, that was the sound I'd heard in my head. When I plugged into my Twin, it was a whole new ballgame! Honestly, since I've been playing tweed amps, the majority of the time I only use a reverb pedal and all my tonal needs can be met with twists of the volume knob, or picking dynamics.

If I walk into a venue, and am playing through a provided backline, I have always been able to find a tone I can live with. I am not even remotely concerned by that kinda thing. Of course, I am not willing to do 'good enough' with my personally owned stuff. But, I am not a diva! LOL

I think my Twin is the heaviest amp I own at about 46 lbs (Yeah, really 46 lbs for 80 watts of tweed tone). That's only 10 lbs more than the TMSR. So far, my back is still holding up enough that I can carry that. But, I am not sure how much longer that will last (arthritis in my back is a serious factor these days).

So, like I've said before, Fender releases a Tonemaster Tweed Bassman? My wallets getting emptied the minute I find one in stock. The TMSR is something I am interested in, but I am not so sure it would ever become the #1 amp. But, I did enjoy playing the one I did get a chance to try out.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
Well, right this minute? I am not hauling amps anywhere... But, the new band is about to start hitting stages soon. My goal is to be back gigging several times a week. A couple of years ago I was earning more money from music, than from my 40 hour a week day job. My goal is to get back to that point.... Eventually, not working that day job is the pipe dream.

I spent the first 30 years of my playing chasing tweed tone, without realizing it. I kept using pedals to get me that tone.... The first time I plugged into my Bassman? I knew right then and there, that was the sound I'd heard in my head. When I plugged into my Twin, it was a whole new ballgame! Honestly, since I've been playing tweed amps, the majority of the time I only use a reverb pedal and all my tonal needs can be met with twists of the volume knob, or picking dynamics.

If I walk into a venue, and am playing through a provided backline, I have always been able to find a tone I can live with. I am not even remotely concerned by that kinda thing. Of course, I am not willing to do 'good enough' with my personally owned stuff. But, I am not a diva! LOL

I think my Twin is the heaviest amp I own at about 46 lbs (Yeah, really 46 lbs for 80 watts of tweed tone). That's only 10 lbs more than the TMSR. So far, my back is still holding up enough that I can carry that. But, I am not sure how much longer that will last (arthritis in my back is a serious factor these days).

So, like I've said before, Fender releases a Tonemaster Tweed Bassman? My wallets getting emptied the minute I find one in stock. The TMSR is something I am interested in, but I am not so sure it would ever become the #1 amp. But, I did enjoy playing the one I did get a chance to try out.

Please email Fender about your desire. If they hear from enough people they might consider a firmware update option that allows for a thicker midrange. And/Or they could add a midrange boost switch to future models. Once they realize they can pull in a lot more customers with a relatively cheap mod they just might go for it.

tele_pathic

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
IF you're thinking about a modeling amp, you might consider something like the Headrush MX-5 instead. Until recently, I was a all-tube, all-analog pedal kind of person. Nice tube amps. 9 pedals, all analog distortion, delay, and tremolo. Then I hauled all that **** to rehearsal over the summer, and I was like, "NOPE! F this ****e!" And I started looking for other solutions.

The Headrush and similar $1,000 units were out of my budget, but then the Headrush MX-5 was recently this summer, and I bought one on a lark, just to test the "multi-fx" waters as it were. Headphone out, aux in, distortions and trems that sounded great, wah sounds that are customizable to eliminate harsh shrill high-end that I hate in most wahs. I went from 9 boutique pedals to the MX-5 within a week. I added a quilter micro block 45 amp in a box and set it to "neutral" sound. I already had a Mojotone lite 1x12" cab if I want to play loud. Now, it's a PT nano that weighs 10 lbs, a guitar in a gig bag on my back, and a 20 lb cab, and that's it. I so happy with this setup and I never feel like it's a compromise.

I thought about a tonemaster recently, but why would I add a modeling amp when I'm already using a modeling amp?

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
Just out of curiosity....

One thing I really love about tube amps is that touch-sensitive tone bloom sound and feel. That lovely squish, pause, shoooooOOMmmm stuff. Especially once the speaker is really broken in. It can feel like the amp itself is playing the guitar. (Yet another reason to dislike shredding! Those notes need time and space to dance.)

I know that this can be approximated by solid state/digital wizardry. My Excelsior Pro, for example, has two sag resistors.

So my questions are
1) What, physically, can approximate this? E.g., what, exactly, does a sag resistor and/or similar sag-/bloom-approximating doo-dads do?

2) How well can solid state/digital hardware and software approximate a fully tube amp's capacity for note bloom? Good reverb and a touch of delay can mimic or cover the absence of good bloom, but can good bloom/sag/touch sensitivity be built into non-tube means?

I do feel and hear a little squishiness in my Excelsior, once that stiff Eminence 1518 broke in. But can Tonemasters theoretically do this well or better, and do they?

Just wondering....

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
Tonemasters are cool BUT my Roland
JC-40 is "the one."
It sounds so goshdarn beautiful with every Guitar - and at 34 lbs with two 10's... incredible!!!

muscmp

Friend of Leo's
absolutely no! not with all of the reporting of problems with them and having to have them serviced or replaced.
play music!

Ash Telecaster

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
absolutely no! not with all of the reporting of problems with them and having to have them serviced or replaced.
play music!

I read a lot of TM post on multiple forums and haven't seen any evidence of a lot of reporting of problems and needing repair or service. I've seen a couple but nothing to indicate there are quality issues with these amps. Most criticisms I've seen have been around feel or lack of tube sparkle, etc. I've said as much myself being a TMSR owner. I love mine.

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
I read a lot of TM post on multiple forums and haven't seen any evidence of a lot of reporting of problems and needing repair or service. I've seen a couple but nothing to indicate there are quality issues with these amps. Most criticisms I've seen have been around feel or lack of tube sparkle, etc. I've said as much myself being a TMSR owner. I love mine.

I might be the exception, but I can't remember a digital product I have purchased in the last 20 years (computers, phones, cameras. ipod's) that has broken or stopped working.

Some have gone obsolete, but none have gone kaput.

I would think these amps might even be more reliable than amps that have tubes, since there are fewer parts that wear out or "break"?

If there was going to be an issue, it would definitely happen in the two year warranty window, no?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I was tempted. Super light deluxe reverb that gets you in the ballpark of the tube version with a line out . Hard not to want. My solution was a neo speaker making the tube version 35 lbs. For now new amp purchase diverted.

muscmp

Friend of Leo's
Maybe you could provide a reference for your assertion. I haven’t heard anything like this. I have heard lots of whining and speculation though. :D
3 friends. one in socal, one in NJ and one in oh10. all took back their amps and got a tube amp, different new ones for each tho.

play music!

teletail

Friend of Leo's
3 friends. one in socal, one in NJ and one in oh10. all took back their amps and got a tube amp, different new ones for each tho.

play music!
All three broke down??

incredulous MP.jpg

Even if that's true, it's hardly a representative sampling out of the tens of thousands that have been sold.

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
My next amp is going to be a tweed Princeton. But I might wait a few years. Who knows.

Looks great though!

I'm not sold on ss amps... They sound great but next to a tube rig, I just don't hear it. And they aren't cheaper really.

Actually, they are cheaper... Especially in theory! LOL

New DRRI - $1499.99
New TMNDR - $899.99

The other two are similarly comparable.

But, theoretically, in the long run, they would be cheaper as well... No tubes (which has been the greatest point of failure since I've been using tube amps).

SS amps have come a long way... But, i agree they still have a bit to go. But, man folks are getting closer.

-------------------------

I think the biggest factor in acceptance of these sorts of amps (whether Tonemaster, Quilter, Blues Cubes, or the other solutions like the Headrush, mentioned a few posts ago) has to be about deciding what is important... Is the exact tube tone important to you? Or, is 'good enough' good enough?

I play a few really nice tube amps most of the time. I have a certain sense of what these amps do, how they feel, what they sound like, how they respond. When I am playing at home, or in the studio, I love what they do and how they sound. But, on stage... Do those same things really matter? Will the audience know the difference? Will I know the difference?

I'll be honest, on stage, with the rest of the band kicking? I'm not so sure I'll hear it... I may feel it. But, I wager I can get used to it pretty quickly.

A simple argument for me goes like this... At home, or in the studio, I use decent guitar cables. On stage, I use a wireless. I am sure the wireless changes the tone some, I am sure it changes the way the dynamics of my amps and pedals work. But, the absolute convenience of being able to go out into the crowd to check the FOH? Man, that is priceless! The bonus is being able to go interact with the crowd during solos, having fun with, that kinda thing.

It's all about diminishing return. Is it better for me to arrive at a gig, be comfortable and relaxed carrying my gear in (I still don't have roadies! LOL)... Ending up with no back pain for my performance. Or, it is more important for me to squeeze that last ounce of tone and feel out of my rig? Currently, budget also plays a huge part in the formula (for me). Right this very minute, it's about using what I have, which I am quite happy with. But, my back is quickly deteriorating... Weight is quickly becoming more of an issue than it used to be.

I am a guy who will travel with a guitar, and plug into just about anything provided and not think twice about it. Years ago, using other folks rigs used to throw me off, make me nervous, or uncomfortable... It would get into my head and effect how I played. These days, I honestly don't fret. I find I sound like me no matter the rig, for better or for worse. LOL

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
Funny story. About a year ago I was in the local guitar emporium. There were several pedals that I wanted to test drive. One of the salesmen joined me and hooked up the first pedal. I didn’t pay attention to the amp that he plugged into, but it appeared to be a DRRI. The pedal sounded horrible. Digital, grainy and nasty. OK, on to the next one. Same thing!?!

We both looked at each other. He looked confused and horrified. Then he got the ah ha look, unplugged from the first amp and plugged into the DRRI next to it. Problem solved. I then took a closer look at the first amp. Yep, it was a TMDR. Can’t say that it sold me on Tone Master amps, but, as they say, YMMV.