1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone Seen NRBQ Lately

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by joealso, Nov 23, 2015.

1. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

They're playing in town Wednesday. Haven't seen them since the early 90s. I always thought they were one of the best bar bands ever. Looks like Terry Adams is the only original left.

2. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

I had to google NRBQ and I'd still never heard of them. Must be a Murcan thang only.

3. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Here's one recent video, it may not be quite the same without Big Al and Joey and Tom, but Terry's got a good group:

4. joealso

Terry's looking as good as ever but it's not the same. Got my tix for my fix anyway.

5. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Man, haven't seen them in, well, many years. Always a great time. Big Al was a killer player.

6. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

Mostly, but Keef knew 'em

He chose Joey to play bass here:

7. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

Terry is the only member left from the classic lineup (w/ Al Anderson, Tommy Ardolino and Joey Spampinato) but I've seen the new lineup and was pleasantly surprised....these guys had big shoes to fill and did OK....

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

It would be less than diligent, here on the TDPRI, to not mention the original guitar player, Steve Ferguson, as he frequently slung the telecaster. Unfortunately, Mr. Ferguson passed away in 2009.

Attached Files:

9. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

If you take away three quarters of NRBQ then you ain't got NRBQ anymore, although Terry Adams' new band is very good I'm sure. Here's what I think is the best version of Rocket In My Pocket. You'll have to watch about 12 minutes of Jools Holland's movie Mr Roadrunner to get there, but that's no hardship because you've got Junior Walker, Hank Williams and Charlie Rich to keep you going on the way.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsiYdbftia8

10. joealso

Nice! "2-in-1's polish and 3-in-1's oil..." Great line.

I'll have dig back in my vinyl and see if I can find some of Mr. Ferguson's work to school myself on.

11. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Current NRBQ drummer is Bobby Lloyd Hicks from Springfield, Mo.
    I've seen Bobby play live since late 70's. Great drummer and
    also great singer.
    Here's a cut from the Skeletons version of Peter, Paul and Mary's "Very Last Day" (first single of theirs I'd heard) back in late 70's.
    Bobby's on lead vocals if I recall. D.Clinton Thompson, Tele player extraordinaire on guitar, the late Lou Whitney on bass/producer.
    D.Clinton (Donnie) is who inspired me to get a Telecaster.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  12. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I love how Terry shoves that keyboard around like a spoiled brat. Saw them twice back in the 90's. Great fun.

13. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

They are playing in the DC are sometime in the near future. Steve Ferguson is certainly worth mentioning. I was fortunate enough to have seen them when he was still in the band.

14. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I've not seen the most recent line up of NRBQ but do go out and see some of the new members in a western swing band called The Western Elstons occasionally. I really enjoy the band and find Scott Ligon to be a great frontman and can't not mention Joel Paterson's superb playing.

15. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I think they do much better than "OK".

Scott and Casey are local guys / friends of mine, and they play in various bands around town and nationally, so they are very known around here. They are as good as it gets musically, and they both sing better than anyone in the original NRBQ ever did.

Scott in particular was kind of a child prodigy, who could hear something once and be able to play it, and he can do this on several instruments.

We always joke that he has an extra musical gene the rest of us don't have.

16. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah this is one of my favorites of theirs, which I have posted in various threads on this forum. They are able to get to the heart of what a song should sound like.

17. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hope the OP/ Joealso gives us a concert review from last night. The show did sell out. Interested in what he thought of the venue. Its a new small concert space here in Richmond.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.