1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone seen Guthrie Trapp's Tele in Person?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by cschlish, Dec 1, 2012.

1. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Is this image an accurate representation of it? I know depending on lighting, a guitars color can appear many different ways, this particular color in this pic has me very intrigued! Or maybe it's just a Surf Green that's getting twisted in the lighting?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Comes off as a crazy greenish/yellow that I really want in his videos...

Attached Files:

3. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Anyone out there in Nashville?

4. Zagnut

Zagnut Tele-Meister

I'm about as far from Nashville as you and partially colorblind, but whatever it is goes great with a white pick guard. It's a Floyd Cassista custom from his site, but you might contact him and ask to find out. I bought his new CD and ended up exchanging a couple e-mails and he comes across as a pretty cool cat.

5. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

I've asked Guthrie about that tele on his FB page. He has been SUPER nice about answering gear questions. The tele he told me was built by a small luthier (noted above), he said it's made from an 'old piece of furniture' (I can only assume it's a pine body). He didn't know what the pickups are, but he likes Fralins. The guitar is definitely in the "Surf Green" color range.

One thing Guthrie told me that really stands out...he keeps his volume and tone knobs at ten and adjusts his picking dynamics or pickup selector to get all those wonderful tones.

I too bought his new "Pick Peace" CD and have been listening to it non-stop, the guy is a MONSTER player and I love his tone and phrasing.

6. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Thx Guys, by going through Facebook, I was able to get a better look of it. Yep, looks like it's just a light shade of Surf Green and it's just stage lighting that is playing tricks with my eyes! I was already going to use Reranch Surf Green on my Pinecaster, but then I saw Guthrie's and was intrigued by the yellow/green appearance...The guy sure is a Monster, I love his phrasing and yeah his tone ain't so bad either!

7. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

I may see him in the next week or two and will take a look.

8. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

9. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Yes, that's an incredible tasty solo. I asked him about his pedals..apparently an Xotic RC Booster is always on, but "very subtle" he told me...then a pair of Nobels ODR-1 for the main overdrive.

10. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Yeah John, I guess he's got a Signature overdrive coming out as well any day through Rocket Pedals. Based off the Nobels, but fatter, meaner and even more transparent! Here's a link to the vid of the new GT Pedal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDmZhWnmiIo

11. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Thanks...I saw that video last month on thegearpage. But with "Rockett's" prices on the signature pedals, I could buy a really nice 24" HDTV for my bed room. I just keep my eye open for a used Rockett Chicken Soup - again, a clone of the Nobels.

12. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

Yeah, I know what you mean! I pretty much buy all my Guitars/Pedals used through the Guitar centers Used site. You have access to every GC's inventory and a lot of the people that work their are clueless on what price points some gear should be at, so you can get HUGE savings. I have all kinds of Vintage Analog pedals I've picked up through them on the Cheap...Plus you get a 30 day warranty to exchange anything, takes care of the Buyers remorse problem you can run into from time to time!

13. cschlish

cschlish Tele-Meister

By watching that Guthrie Trapp overdrive pedal video, I was able to get a better look at that color of his Tele in a properly lighted setting. I think I found what the Builder may have used! It's a Reranch Custom color called "Smoke Green" Nitro, I was going to give up on the Guthrie Trap Signature Tele Build and just buy a Fender Surf Green Nitro through Reranch and then I just happen to check on their own custom colors...Here's a pic of a Tele Painted up with Smoke Green, if it's not it it's pretty Damn Close! The pics I posted above were pretty accurate, they just made it look a little more yellow than it really is due to the Bright lighting.

Attached Files:

14. manlopsan

manlopsan TDPRI Member

I know this post is quite old, but I love this man's playing . . . . . . it is very inspirational for me.

15. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

Agreed...

16. arrowspace90

arrowspace90 TDPRI Member

He's a super player. Way over on the jazz side, over my head.

17. mossman

mossman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

tasty playing working through the changes in a thoughtful way using dynamics and maintain interest . I give it 5 out of 5 stars... :)

18. I own a Tele

I own a Tele Tele-Meister

i think he said the pickups were out of a stock mexican fender tele, he tried fralins and lollars; but went back to the mexicans

19. 52tri

52tri TDPRI Member

If you haven't seen this, he spends some time talking about the guitar a little ways into the video. Sorry about the copy/paste...haven't figure out the right way to insert links.

20. FloydBCassista

FloydBCassista NEW MEMBER!

Guthrie's Tele is Chrystler pale blue,remember the Darts ? It is nitrocellulose from william wolfe laquer co. and looks green by virtue of the yellowing of nitro paint and clearcoats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.