Anyone run 2x8 combo instead of 1x12 for recording/small gigs, any advice?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tgftele, Jul 15, 2011.

1. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

I am thinking of doing a 2x8 baffle to go into my 5E3 cabinet so that I can switch to 2x8 for less bass and more controlled recording, yet switch to the 1x12 if I need the extra power.

Any thoughts, is it feasible, any advice on this idea?

Thanks!

2. Gypsyblue

Gypsyblue Former Member

Where are you finding 8" speakers that are worth a hoot?

You using Weber's Champ/Princeton speakers or something else?

And why?

3. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

Really? Weber has a lot of good 8" speakers, Blue, Chicago, the whole Vintage Series...Like I said above to control the bass and volume in the studio--make sense?

4. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

why ask why?

Anyway...I think you're on to something there, so please report back if you do it. The Weber Signature 8S is worthy. Two 8's don't cost that much, and you can grill it later (if at all).
    I contacted Allan Amps to build a custom 4x8 combo cab for a Princeton 6G2 chassis that I have currently in a head. I had to pay for an MRI instead, but I still want to do it.

5. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

Hey thanks fort he input--I hope you get your cabinet too. I think I am going to try it out. I was thinking of a Blue and a Vintage Series in there--you know, swap it out in the summer for gigs, swap it back in for the winter studio time.

I mean I don't gig that much, I'm not a pro, so having something for my studio is appealing to me, but I still want to have the 1x12 of course. I think a 2x8 would just fit the studio room better...

I will report back if I pull the trigger. Thanks!!

6. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

This sounds like a great concept, honestly.
    I think that low wattage amps tend to sound great through the smaller speakers.
    It would sound quite nice if you could incorporate a stereo chorus in there as well, just to sweeten the deal :idea: :D

7. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

So in a 5E3, would I just hook one speaker up to one output and the other to the second output, I wonder? If I did it this way I wonder if I would use 8 ohm speakers, as the OT is 8 ohm? Hmm...I will need to figure that out...

Stereo would be sweet too!

8. Gypsyblue

Gypsyblue Former Member

If you're going to do it right, order two 16 ohm speakers and hook them up in parallel for 8 ohms. Or order two 4 ohm speakers and hook them up in series for 8 ohms.

9. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

8" speakers roll off bass earlier than 12" speakers. If you like a mids-forwards tone... pronounced mids, attenuated bass then 8" speakers are for you.

Harp players love 'em.

I wouldn't stop at 2x8". I'd go for 4x8". There's room.

I'm saving up 6"x9" speakers for a 4x 6"x9" Deluxe. I have two killer late 6"x9" CTS speakers from an Allen organ. They have doped surrounds and should be easily capable of handling a tweed Deluxe all by themsleves. I'm going to combine them with a pair of "under the radar" (off brand) alnico 6"x9"s to make up my set of four.

There are plenty of vintage 8" speakers that are "worth a hoot".

The trick is light cone, light voice coil. That makes the speaker responsive. It's not like you need 100 watts to move a 4" voice coil and a heavy cone.

If you think 8" speakers are all junk check out vintage Altec 755As. Trust me, people don't pay big bucks for "junk" speakers.

Another cool option is the little OEM JBLs that Ampex used. Not my favorite because they're a little shrill compared to larger JBLs. Still, some people like 'em.

10. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

Nice set up! Yeah it sounds like the 8s are for me, love mids and light bass. So you can fit a 4x8 setup in a Tweed Deluxe sized cab?

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Raezer's Edge are known for the Twin 8 cabinets:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I don't know what the make of speakers they use is, but each speaker is 8ohm and 125watt.

12. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

Two 16ohm speakers in parallel would work great for the 8ohm OT.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your finished product.
    I love low wattage, small, portable amps, and this one could be epic! :eek:

13. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Well, there's a trick to it.

I have a bunch of Jensen P8RS speakers. "S" in this case stands for "Special". That's an 8" speaker with a P12R magnet structure and voice coil, roughly. A couple of them have doped surrounds. Killer speakers! I'm tellin' you that to tell you this, though:

I'm not sure if the larger magnet will clear the PT on the speaker up in that corner. I'd use an old CTS with the square manget and the "snowflake" basket in that position.

Vintage Jensens used the "squashed" style basket. That means the basket measures a hair over 7 1/2" edge to edge rather than the nearly 8 1/2" of a speaker with a round basket. Webers BTW are all "round basket".

It's another "I'm tellin' you that to tell you this" situation. If you use "squashed basket" style speakers you can skew the uppers over towards the preamp side and the lowers over towards the power supply side. Nest them all tightly together and they just fit.

14. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Lot's of experience with 8-inch Weber speakers here.....

The Sig 8s is a good cheap selection if you don't have to push high power and still need headroom before breakup.

On the other end of the higher power spectrum is the Weber 8F150..... one of the best

15. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

Great, thanks for all the input! I think I am going to proceed with the idea. I will let you know when I have some results...

16. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Nice idea. If it was my project, what I'd do:

- Wire two 16 ohms in parallel to net 8 ohms. That would give you a safe 16 ohm load if one speaker failed.
    - I'd gang the two into one output.
    - I'd put them in a matching cabinet and leave the original cabinet as is.

Doing that, you could run either 2x8 or 1x12, or run the 2x8 and the 1x12 at the same time.

17. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

Nice, now you're talkin'...that's what i need, a studio option and a stage option...I like it, thanks!

18. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

If you have two 4-ohm 8" speakers, you can wire those in series for your Deluxe. :cool:

- Scott

19. RawjerLee

RawjerLee Tele-Meister

Just mic up the cab. It'll sound good through a VOCAL CONDENSER microphone.

20. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Leave the 5e3 alone and either do a 2x8 cab or do two 1x8's one alnico and a ceramic. Then you have more sound and recording options. And today a niffty 50watt Weber Z Matcher showed up at my house...to play around with 2-1x8's, 2-1x10's and 2-1x12's, each size with a ceramic and an alnico of various manufactures...weber, emience, cts, jensens. The two 1x8's get the most use due to at home volume issue. I like the 1x cabs because I use a stereo 2 amp wet/dry rig and seperate the cabs to easily get a field/depth with out the volume.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.