anyone routed out a standard tele body(to make something of a thinline)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by darylcrisp, Sep 29, 2020.

1. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

I'm sure more than a few of you have done this. would love to hear the results.

reasons-to remove some weight, and to possibly have that slightly different tone a thinline offers up(due to the cavities).

I received a solid standard tele body today(pretty sure its alder). thinking about going in from the back, removing wood/making a large cavity on the top half, then forming a recessed coverplate(plastic/alum/maybe a thin wood veneer).

and probably cutting out an F hole on the top as well-just like a thinline.

this may be a total flop, but I'd enjoy hearing from anyone else that's done similar, things you found that worked best, or thoughts after completion that you wished you'd done. and did it change much tonewise?

a fun project for winter for me I think.

d

2. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

The way it was originally done at fender was through the back, then covered with a 2 piece back, I don't recall how thick the back piece is off the top of my head, but it is thicker than a veneer. As for whether or not you should do it with the alder body you have, I'd say don't. The reason why Fender made the thinlines back in the late 60s was due to a period of supply shortages of swamp ash that was light enough for the standard solid bodied guitars, since alder is fairly lightweight to begin with, I would worry about the finished guitar suffering neck dive.

3. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

this piece is a fender body blank, already routed out, etc for standard electronics placement, but its hhheavy. really needs a serious diet-lol.

thank you for the info and reply, I just want to see what I can do with this.
    may turn out to be a fancy piece of firewood...

d

4. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

How heavy are we talking? Depending on how heavy we're talking it may in fact be worth considering after all.

darylcrisp likes this.
  5. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

I have done something similar with a 3/4" spade drill bit. Drill in from the side (I drilled in from the side/end opposite the neck), move the spade back and forth to take out more material on the inside, plug the outer hole with a 3/4" x 1/4" wooden plug (easily found at Lowes or Home Depot). Worked fairly well.

darylcrisp likes this.
  6. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

I recently did an (unknown Asian) Strat (free dumpster find with Allparts neck). drilled the back & covered it with .10 birch ply. a LOT lighter, more resonant. installed a block of ash to mount the bridge & some backer blocking. this is the rough out, unfortunately I didn't take a pic of the cavity after the cleanup. fitted with Duncan Phat Cats. I just painted the back in black. right now I'm sourcing parts to make a Tele version with some better parts (I'll move the P-Cats to the new build). I will do the same & there won't be an F hole

P1110259.JPG

Attached Files:

darylcrisp likes this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

carpenter, AAT65 and darylcrisp like this.
  8. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

9. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

I need to actually weigh it, but from just picking it up I can tell it needs some cardio.

10. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

I used this....

[​IMG]

with my Moto tool to set the shoulder for the plywood.

remove the heavy wood with Forstner bits (or spade bits). Forstner bits don't have the lead tip of a Spade so you can go deeper without braking through the other side. the space between drill holes cleans up quick and easy with a chisel. the Safety Planer is good for a flat surface but not really well suited for this idea

darylcrisp likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I took a full pound off a swamp ash Tele body that way, but from the back I see no reason to spend time trying to make it look like no wood was removed.
    My lawn and garden need to look good more than the back of my guitars.
    I've actually lightened three bodies that way but the last was the biggest weight reduction, and I got no neck dive.
    With my chronic pain it turned a guitar I never played into a guitar I'll pick up sometimes.
    Has a squeal issue now though due to a different bridge, and the neck needs some fret dressing, so it's not a #1.

12. telemnemonics

C357F4E6-01BE-443E-98AB-E3D18517D926.jpeg
    I also removed some stock under the guard and then routed for a Glendale Strate Plate.
    The weight loss was actually 15oz so not quite a full pond, but pretty significant.

darylcrisp and bullfrogblues like this.
  13. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

Thank you for this, and my thoughts going into this question was , "need at least a pound removed".
    Your thoughts on not needing a cover plate just inspired me to look in that direction also.
    Thank you for posting.
    d

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

Lol, I've been wanting one of these for a while also.
    d

dogmeat likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

I think if you rout out a pound in one long bathtub it might be more annoying uncovered, which is why I went with holes.
    Also it took less than an hour including routing the round over on all the holes so they don’t catch on clothing or belt buckles etc.

It was my preference to not weaken the area between neck and bridge, so I stayed out on the perimeter. As far as getting a new sound I was not lookin for that.
    If that is a goal you could remove more in the middle.

darylcrisp likes this.
  16. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Love those holes - was going to do that to a Les Paul Studio one of these days but have to find a way that doesn't chip the real finish on it.

17. telemnemonics

41645A4F-3CF3-4AB2-8105-5066F228E0B6.jpeg 21984161-BB83-4D69-A62A-52C7820113D9.jpeg FF4F7E37-3141-4FB1-9D7D-2F53E839E84E.jpeg 617D035E-94B8-4E54-8A8A-4CD660C9E242.jpeg
    Drill press and good quality Forster bit.
    Not the spade bits!
    Not cheap Forster bits either, these are made in Austria which is similar to Swiss and German for precision tooling.
    Routings round over can easily scratch the finish so I put painters tape on the router base but better still cover the finish to prevent scratching.

Bartholomew3 likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

3074EBF1-11FA-4857-8D01-935EB32D4E43.jpeg I drilled this one without chipping the finish but it’s a road worn so not much risk.
    Didn’t lose a pound but there are more holes under the guard too.
    I didn’t have a postal scale to get the original weight.
    The good news is that the heavier the guitar the easier it is to lose a pound.
    My LP is a ten ponder though so it needs to lose four pounds!

darylcrisp and Bartholomew3 like this.
  19. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Have a 74 LP Custom Cherry Bust - must weigh about 13 lbs, like a boat anchor but I would never do it to that one.

20. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I've done it twice. Took two ash Strat bodies that were heavy and planed a quarter inch off the top. Designed the basic routes and cavities I wanted, Forstner bit to hog out most of the material and a router to finish it off.

I put a new quarter inch ash top on to finish it off with an f hole. That took two pounds out of the guitar.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to share more details!

20191117_144721.jpg 20191214_230231.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.