Anyone rocking the Allparts TMO FAT?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Loobs, Nov 8, 2014.

1. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I recently ordered an Allparts TRO-V from Koko Tele (member/vendor here). It's not the fat, but is still a little more meaty than my other Tele's.

I had him do a complete job on the frets, roll the edges and install a nice bone nut. I hit it with some steel wool then 10 coats of Tru-Oil. I used a couple of coats of Howard's Orange Oil/Carnuba Wax (contains no silicone) on the rosewood.

I guess time will tell on the Tru-Oil. Primarily used for gun stocks. I would have to assume a gun stock will see a lot more environmental extremes than my Tele neck. With or without a sealer.

Note: I have no affiliation with Koko, except as a satisfied customer.:)

2. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

I have a rosewood board one and finished the non-rosewood bits with Danish Oil. I did it six years ago and intended 'topping up' the oil every year or two but I never have. The finish is still in good condition and seems fine.

I did sand the back of the neck down a tiny amount to take some of the meat from the shoulders. Fits like a glove now.

My only minor gripe with the neck is that I would like it a little wider as the string spacing is a tad narrow for me. But I can live with that and it's a great-feeling neck.

3. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

Ron, I'm not really able to the fret work myself, but I'll have someone else do it.

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

5. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

Cool!

6. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

This is very interesting. I've been thinking about building a tele body but lve been looking for a nice neck to put on it that isn't too expensive. This might do the trick.

I'm wondering how fat/chunky they really are.

7. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

The allparts fat neck is great. But I do prefer to shave some of it`s shoulders before finishing it. And it definitely needs a fret job to play as good as it can.

8. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

Any tips on fret end prep?

9. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The Allparts TMO-fat is my favorite neck. I finish mine with nitro lacquer over a wash coat of shellac. I have not found the fret ends to be an issue but I expect to bevel the fret edge and do a level and crown after finishing on any neck. I have hundreds of gigs on one of mine.

10. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

Gonna order this neck tomorrow.

11. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

Which tuners are you all using on yours?

12. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

OK, I've ordered it!

13. thinling

thinling Tele-Meister

I have two Allparts maple fat necks, a strat and a tele, that I bought with nitro finish. I also have a rosewood tele neck that I finished with tru-oil and wire wool, it seems fine, has a satin look.
    The fat neck on the strat really made a difference, it's a great combination.
    I finally bit the bullet, and bought the necessary equipment to learn how to do a fret level and crown myself. Of course, I used the advice in Ron's sticky, and started on my least favorite neck, not an Allparts one. What a difference! I'm now going through all my guitars, fret leveling, recrowning, rounding off fret ends, etc, and now also lowering the action. They are so much more easily playable now, I swear I sound better!

14. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

Awesome..

I might give it a shot

15. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

I had Jason Banning do my Tele neck, he finished, reliced, and did all the fret work to it. Came out beautifully. Seems he's pretty busy with full guitar builds these days so for my Strat neck I ordered from eBay user "scottyfathead" - the price was right and he seems like a nice fella.

I'd love to try doing the level and crown work myself some day. Good luck if you go that route, let us know how it turns out!

16. dennyman

dennyman Tele-Meister

fwiw, I was going to get an Allparts "fat" neck but wanted a larger nut spacing. So I went with a finished Warmoth fatback w/a 1&11/16th nut and 6150 frets. It's a great neck for me :)

You could also look into a USACG fatback or a Musickraft Fat profile neck (all of these are 1" in depth like the Allparts fat profile). If it matters, you can get the frets you really like with these vendors (as well as a satin or glossy finish).

17. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

Too late now. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Gonna make a go at finishing it myself.

18. dbickford

dbickford Tele-Afflicted

Same here . Haven't tried the Allparts TMO Fat, but I love my Warmoth Fatback. Maple/Rosewood,1 3/4" nut,6150 frets,and did I say FAT!?
    I like it so much that I'm thinking of another to replace the neck on one of my Tele-Strat's this winter.

19. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

Did you go for the vintage construction?

I don't like the Warmoth necks with the double truss rod.

20. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I have a few of these necks. I do the easiest finish imaginable- mix some fresh garnet shellac from flakes, strain through a coffee filter, spray with a Preval. Great-looking vintage finish that has held up well. No curing time so the whole process can be done in 24 hours.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.