Anyone remember slot cars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stonetone7, Jun 5, 2021.

1. BackwaterJunction

BackwaterJunction Tele-Meister

This thread has reminded me that I still have mine somewhere. I've got about a full grid's worth of F1 cars from the 90s that I used to hotlap around a Scalextric circuit by myself.

Wonder if I can dig them out...

JP58 likes this.
  2. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Used to be a great track for the 1/24 cars in our downtown. I had a big HO set (Aurora) on my ping pong table.

Blue Bill likes this.
  3. JP58

JP58 TDPRI Member

I spent hours and hours playing with a Scalextric 8 track! Had a copy of Jim Clarck's lotus in green and a Ferrari with head lights working.
    Today I still have them and my last acquisition is a piece of history I never had the guts to put it on the track: a copy of the Porsche 917K from the 12hrs in Sebring in 1971. Driven by Jacky Oliver and Pedro Rodriguez. The later one hit Mark Donuhue's car hence the emergency "mod" to respect the night rules and be able to continue the race!!!
    IMG_20210605_203157723.jpg IMG_20210605_202948132.jpg IMG_20210605_202910507.jpg IMG_20210605_203022679.jpg IMG_20210605_202850921.jpg

4. GeneB

GeneB Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I was into HO big time as a youth. I was living on Long Island and the Aurora factory was a bicycle ride away in West Hempstead. Used to go there and buy stuff you couldn't find at hobby stores. Built a huge track in our unfinished attic and spent a few summers sweating and racing my friends.

Blue Bill, stonetone7 and Ronzo like this.
  5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Cox, Strombecker, Mabuchi motors, custom cars with clear plastic shells painted on the inside. I did it all at local tracks, plus 1/24 and HO tracks at home.

stonetone7 likes this.
  6. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

Scalextric took up most of my school holidays (it had to be put away during term time) and pocket money for about 5 years from 1962. I scratch built quite a few cars using parts from MRRC and spent hours refining them. I built a Lotus 25 and a Lotus Cortina as a tribute to my hero Jim Clark, but mainly concentrated on pre Ford GT40 historic Le Mans cars, Jaguars and Ferrari. I wish I still had them.

The passion for GT racing actually led me to the passion that replaced it. In June 1965 I was up late waiting for the midnight news bulletin from Le Mans. Just before it, the BBC showed a recorded performance by a young Bob Dylan. I'd been vaguely aware of him, but that night triggered the obsession with music, guitars ( and literature) that have remained. No interest in car racing now, though I do dip in to the Le Mans coverage for old times' sake.

stonetone7 and JP58 like this.
  7. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Holic

Loved them. I still remember the first slotless track I had with cars that could change lanes. What a blast!

8. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Great fun in the 80s.

wonder if they still make em.

stonetone7 likes this.
  9. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    stonetone7 likes this.
  10. Mur

Mur Friend of Leo's

Yep, those super light clear bodies were the best. I was seriously into building and racing in early/mid sixties.

archetype likes this.
  11. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

When I was a kid there was a big slot car place in a town near me It had 3 tracks each a different setup. And about 8 years ago I set up a track in my house took up the whole living room had friends come over and they where happy as all get out to play around with them.

El Tele Lobo and stonetone7 like this.
  12. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

We had four different race tracks in the then small town of Oxnard, California. Model Car Raceways, Frank's Hobby House, Checkered Flag and another on the Port Hueneme Navy Base hobby shop. I raced at all of them, they were all good and those business owner made a fortune off me. The final straw for me was when I burnt up the motor on my favorite car and could never get it to run properly after that. It was that final omen that I should hang up the old controller. I never did the HO thing, mine were all 1 24th scale cars.

Deeve and stonetone7 like this.
  13. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

Dang it! Now I am watching some sets on eBay!!!!!

stonetone7 likes this.
  14. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Loved them!

Back in the early 80s, I ran across a hobby shop in Rockford, IL that had NOS AFX Super II cars. At one time, the Super II was the ultimate factory racer, but by the 1980s it was easily bested by the G-Plus. The shop had complete cars, in the presentation box for $5 each. They also had spare bodies and parts - all at blowout prices. I bought 2 cars, 2 bodies, and some other parts. Spent about $20.

[​IMG]

I never used any of the stuff and forgot about it for 25 years. Ended up selling the cars for $400 each and the bodies for $100 each. Got another $200 for the spare parts.

El Tele Lobo, JP58, Blue Bill and 2 others like this.
  15. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

If it was good enough for Jim...

vintage-scalextric-magazine-advert_360_050c78103dc0af903c7e5ffe0f13c9a7.jpg

JP58 and beagle like this.
  16. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

NJ Nostalgia. It’s still there.

Ronzo likes this.
  17. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

I had one of the earliest slot car set ups, circa 1961. There were others even earlier than that. Two cars and a figure eight track. It had a lap counter on it. It had hand held controls. They were primarily hand held plunger style accelerators that you held in your hand and pushed on with your thumbs. Pretty primitive by later standards. The cars looked like early CanAm style racers. Perhaps Ferraris? That track brought countless neighborhood kids to my house. Tremendously fun. HO cars that you could modify in various ways came along a couple years later. There were huge slot car tracks opening everywhere. There were also racing teams and leagues. Great memories.

El Tele Lobo, Deeve and stonetone7 like this.
  18. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

Still have a bunch of my 1/24 cars. Haven't been to the local track in ages though. The HO stuff me and my brother collected for ages, must have had 1000 feet of track we'd hook up and run on a old model train transformer. Things would haul butt for a little while. Oh god ever remember losing those little motor brushes when working on them?

Blue Bill and Ronzo like this.
  19. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic

We had a set of the first generation slot cars and track, I think Aurora was the brand. I still remember the hot oil smell of the little electric motors after a few laps.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Had both H.O. trains and slot cars, from the Thunderjets, AFX, MagneTraction and up to the 440 X2. TJets and AFX were my favorite, as they require some skill to drive. I used to modify them and race in local tournaments. I still have a bunch of cars in a case in the basement (no track though). I'm too lazy to go down and get them and take pics, unless someone convinces me otherwise.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.