Anyone remember "Oliver" amps?

dickey

Friend of Leo's
serveimage3.jpg
serveimageoliver.jpg
Had a friend that had one back in the early 70s. What I remembered the most was that it was just a sealed enclosure box. You flipped a switch,and the amp section slowly raised up by a small motor; looked like a freight elevator. Flip switch again & it lowered back into the cabinet. Here is the quote:

Any inherent problems with flipping an Ampeg Portaflex head upside down and into place were alleviated with this motorized take on the basic design. Flicking on the recessed power switch activated the tubes and a built-in motor, which would raise the head from its resting place. Vice-versa, switching the unit off slowly retracted the head, an astonishing sight to the uninitiated.

Last edited:

nick0

Tele-Meister
View attachment 691750 View attachment 691749 Had a friend that had one back in the early 70s. What I remembered the most was that it was just a sealed enclosure box. You flipped a switch,and the amp section slowly raised up by a small motor; looked like a freight elevator. Flip switch again & it lowered back into the cabinet. Here is the quote:

Any inherent problems with flipping an Ampeg Portaflex head upside down and into place were alleviated with this motorized take on the basic design. Flicking on the recessed power switch activated the tubes and a built-in motor, which would raise the head from its resting place. Vice-versa, switching the unit off slowly retracted the head, an astonishing sight to the uninitiated.
Never heard of one before but I like the idea. I bet it weighs in a bit though.

Martinp

Tele-Afflicted
I got my amp fixed by Jess Oliver, He lived in Massapequa, on "the Island". He ran a shopin hi basement, and had a AMC Matador with a blue checked Tolex vinyl top. He was a character

Viejo

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Yep I bought a Oliver B-120 and a Les Paul Recording Model back the 80s for 300.00 . Jess Oliver was an Ampeg Executive who left and started his own company. The amp was solid state but had a good clean sound. I wish I had hung on to that LP Recording, all 14 lbs of it

Last edited: