1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone recognize these pick ups? Squier Japan

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Craig Williams, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

1985 /86 E serial Squier Japan Tele

Anyone know if these pick ups are original or anything about them? Bridge pick up looks pretty stock standard but front pickup has me thrown a bit. No markings. red and white wire with a shield. I didn't post photos of the front but just looks like a bog standard chrome covered tele neck pick up, BHK apparently the brand, Chinese company used by some manufacturers. The three wire thing gets me. Wondering if it could be a split coil?

The pick up itself has a lot of hum / noise and not particularly good sound.

IMG20201020172742.jpg

IMG20201020172057.jpg IMG20201020172116.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Not an expert, but I would guess that the neck pickup, at least, is not original. I've only seen those "BHK" stickers on more modern import pickups. Someone might certainly know better than me. I have a chinese Squire with those labels and a friend has a duo-sonic with the same stickers.

EDIT: The third wire is almost certainly a separate ground for the metal cover. This particular pickup doesn't likely have a tap. A separate ground for the cover is sometimes used to make it easier to reverse the phase of the pickup. In a two wire configuration, the cover would be grounded to the negative coil wire instead of providing a separate ground wire.

3. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Yeah the labeling on that neck pickup screams import but they look like they're both made with alnico pickups since there is an absence of ceramic bar magnets on those pickups. Xxxxx

mkdaws32 likes this.
  4. Craig Williams

I wouldn't be surprised. They do stuff like that here. Pull the original decent pick ups out and sell them separately and replace them with something from a junker. Could well be off a Classic Vibe however CV pick ups better than the sound of these normally

5. Craig Williams

I've since discovered those BHK pick ups they use on Mexican Blacktops. Have seen at least 2 with them now. Single coil tele neck style and HB

6. Billy3

Billy3 TDPRI Member

With only 3 wires? No split. Most likely a separate ground for a 4way switch possibly?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.