Anyone recognise these 6v6gt tubes?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Chunkocaster, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a pair of unbranded 6v6gt tubes as spares or replacements for a new amp and am wondering if anyone recognises them and knows who might have made them?
    He seems to have sold mostly Australian and UK labelled tubes. Have you come across similar looking tubes before or have any idea of what they might be?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/A-Pair-of-6V6GT-TUBES-X-2-/202888261947?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=dAGOqKdHzJRrKVAmBLBm9BthI7o%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  2. Pierce

Pierce Tele-Holic

russian

3. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

Yeah, I thought so too.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

They look like Reflektor tubes. I have a set in my Superchamp. Sounds pretty good, pretty much as good as the RCA grey plates that came in it. Great output and crunch.

kafka and Chunkocaster like this.
  5. Chunkocaster

That sounds promising. The closest I could find in image searches were Russian but the non Russian 6v6gt print threw me. I guess they might have been restamped. I figured it was worth the gamble seeing as they were the cheapest option I could find and labelled nos by that seller with 100% positive feedback.

I only really needed the one as I wanted spares for the stock tubes that came in a Joyo 5f1 style amp and am planning to make a few low cost changes to it.

6. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I have a handful of these. Definitely Russian. Mine has Russian writing on them. I might have put one in a Champ sometime, but that would have been about it. They worked. Can't say much more about them.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. Dacious

Here's mine out of the amp.

IMG_20200127_230127.jpg

IMG_20200127_230214.jpg

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Thanks, yes that looks like the ones I found on image search with the same Russian print.
    This amp sounds good out of the box but I cant help but try a few changes. I've got a weber signature 8inch ceramic mag speaker coming and plan to build a new cab and install a 5y3 tube and the 22uf cap in it to see if I can improve on it. I'll mod the original cab and use it as a second 8" cab for a tweed mini stack.:)

9. Dacious

The 5Y3 tube should make a big change - my friend's Sweet Baby sounds more SF rather than Tweed with the GZ. Been meaning to try a 5Y3 in it.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

I was watching a few videos on the 5f1 kits today and a guy rebuilt a failed kit and did a few mods. Apparently that cap makes a noticeable change too. Should be fun making the changes one at a time and comparing as I go. I'll put that cap on a switch.

I haven't played a tweed champ before but i'm digging the sounds on this clone. It was a nice surprise for $200 bucks delivered.

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Note that any change in the power tube...regardless of make and model.... will change the bias point unless by chance two tube shave similar plate dissipation. This will change the amp more than perhaps anything else...depending on the difference in the current draw/plate dissipation. Of course, going from a GZ34 to a 5Y3 will obviously rebias everything as well.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. Chunkocaster

Thanks Wally, I watched a few other videos on how to test the bias, some baseline readings to compare with, also how to make a adapter using a broken tube and socket so you can test the tube with a multimeter while it's inserted etc. As much as I want to get this amp sounding it's best i'm also looking forward to using it as a learning tool so I'm better prepared to take on a 5e3 build in the future.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.