Anyone rate DR Bass strings? Coated / Neon

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Craig Williams, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

I live in Thailand and flat wound strings here are just too expensive. I like the flat tone and fell of flat wounds. Just wondering if DR Neons would be the same sort of dynamic or can any one suggest alternatives? Daddario, Ernie Ball etc aka popular brands. Don't have everything available here

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I like DR strings. My favorite rounds are HiBeams. Pure Blues are nice too. They’re not too stiff and have a good even tone. The coated strings look cool and feel nice. They are not as full and bright as the regular nickel wound because of the coating. But not bad, especially if you find some strings too bright.
    I’m pretty sure they are the same as Black Beauties.

If you like tapes or flats the Neons are brighter that that but not overly bright like rounds.

I play LaBella flats on fretless and most of my other basses have Thomastik Jazz Flats but those are quite expensive. But they last forever.

DR makes very good strings.
    Good luck.

Blackout Jazz likes this.
  3. Blackout Jazz

Blackout Jazz TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  4. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

DR Neons are coated nickel plated steel roundwounds. No, they're not like flats.

In flatwounds, my favorite is the Ernie Ball Group flats. I use the Group III. YMMV.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.