Anyone put a middle pickup in their tele?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Gutterguy, Feb 5, 2019.

1. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Absolutely and I love it.
    IMG_7772.JPG

Straydogger likes this.
  2. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

kathymooreguitar.jpeg This guitar is the main instrument of a Seattle player who plays a lot of different styles with it. I'll have to ask her what the pickup is, but it looks like some flavor of PAF. She gets a good, thick, hard-rock tone out of it, and can switch to more traditional tele sounds in an instant.

3. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Geesh..my guitar must have had a twin......

Attached Files:

Straydogger likes this.
  4. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Is the body factory-routed for a middle pickup ?

5. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Holic

Yep, mine's got a strat pickup in the middle, wired for a 5-way switch and a push-pull tone knob. I use the middle one alone quite a bit!

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

These are all mods I have thought about doing on a future build for myself...

Instead of a Strat type middle pickup use:
    -Jaguar pickup with the claw wrap
    -Lipstick
    -Goldfoil
    -P90 as mentioned
    -Jazzmaster (the classic magnetic pole type not the P90 bar magnet style)

To go along with the 5-way switch, get a stacked tone knob pot so you have an extra blender available for the Armstrong Blender mod, I use that on my Strats where the second tone knob converts to a blender between stock SSS and series HSH or anywhere between.

If you swap the middle pickup solder point with the neck or bridge at the 5-way switch you get the neck+bridge Tele tone while giving up one of the Quack tones. The 5-way will operate like a 3-way (neck, neck+bridge, bridge) with two extra positions for the middle pickup (middle, middle+neck or bridge; depending on which connection was swapped). On a regular Strat, you can unscrew and physically swap the middle and bridge pickup without doing any wiring solder work, so that's the concept.

The other option is to push the middle pickup back close to the bridge pickup for more of an HS layout but still using the 5-way switching.
    There is a Robbie Robertson custom shop Strat model like that.

7. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

I install middle pickups in all my Teles. I prefer a Van Zandt Blues in that position.
    I love the tone of the middle alone with the Van Zandt.
    If I want the bridge/neck combo I usually use a 5 way super switch and assign that combo to position #4 sacrificing the neck/middle which I never use anyway.

Oh, and 'Stratclub'
    Adding a middle pickup doesn't "totally screw it up". On the contrary, it makes the guitar much more versatile adding useful sounds while retaining all the original Tele sounds.

S Mac

8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Yep... I decided I wanted Strat neck & middle pups, with a Tele bridge. So, I bought an empty Deluxe Nashville body from Stratosphere, ordered a pick guard with routs for Strat neck & middle, dusted off two unused Fender CS Fat '50s Strat pickups that I had, bought a True Velvet Tele bridge pup, Fender modern bridge, 5-way switch, pots, and jack. Put it all together and mounted a Deluxe Nashville rosewood neck that I had on hand, and VOILA!

Sounds great (very Stratty), plays great. And while it is not a replacement for having a Strat or two, it is an enjoyable addition!

[​IMG]

screefer likes this.
  9. alexwilds

alexwilds Tele-Meister

This is a 1979 Tokai with added Klein broadcaster, wired like a strat to get `quack`. IMG_0395.jpg

10. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

BTW, this is a purpose built 3-pickup Tele set with the middle being RWRP from the bridge and neck. I wired it Strat-style with a standard 5-way switch but added a push-pull on the tone knob to add the neck. So if I want the normal bridge/neck Tele sound, it's simple to sweep the reverse-mounted switch all the way to the #1 position with the heel of my hand while grabbing and pulling up the tone pot in one motion. I shielded it well and even with the bridge/neck combo not RWRP (just like the early Teles) it is very quiet in this position and sounds great.
    This is the wiring I used (except for reversing the control plate, and I used a .022uf cap):
    Nashville add neck.jpg

And these are the pickups. Wound by "Q" from Croatia. Low/vintage, wind clear and articulate, and sound great turned up with a little boost.
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=112385945595

Maybe this will help somebody.
    Cheers,
    Rex

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.