Anyone put a middle pickup in their tele?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Gutterguy, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Gutterguy

Gutterguy TDPRI Member

I’m getting a new lefty player tele shipped to me. I would like to add a middle pickup with a 5 way put in it before I start playing on it. I’m going to keep the new originals but was wondering any suggestions for the middle? Any pics? Thank you

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Do you know exactly what factory pickups are going to be in it? If you can provide this that will help a lot with suggestions.
    If you can only have noise cancelling in position 2 or 4, but not both, which would you choose?
    Are you interested in keeping the ability to paly neck and bridge together? If so there is a fairly simple addition of a push-pull pot to allow this. It also gives you the option of "all pickups on" though this may not be as useful as N/B. You still have the standard Strat 5-way choices.
    Cheers,
    Rex

picknfool likes this.
  3. John How

John How Tele-Meister

I had a p90 in the middle position on mine for quite a while...I just hid it under the pick guard and made holes for the pole pieces to come up thru...I would get some weird looks when I switch over to that pickup...The guitar was in storage and high humidity for a while and everything got mildewed so I tore it apart and rebuilt with new pups, that middle p90 went away...

4. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Why would you? I guess I will take something as perfect as a tele and totally screw it up.

Instead of totally screwing things up, you may want to explore the option of just playing your tele the way Leo intended.

If you want 3 pickups, get a Strat or an SG or LP Custom.

5. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure if Fender is using true lefty pots in their production guitars , but if they are , it would be seriously wrong having one pot function opposite of others . Point being that I have never seen a lefty push/pull pot and doubt their existence .

6. otterhound

I believe that the Nashville Teles use a Strat pickup in the middle slot . Might be a good starting point .

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

See my avatar photo.....although currently I'm back to a conventional two pickup configuration. I'm going to soon put a middle back in.....I'm so pleased with my Bootstrap Pickups Palo Duro set, and had Ryan at Bootstrap make me a compatible p/up for the middle position.
    May I offer a switching suggestion? I wanted to keep the "normal" three-way switch (so I would have regular Tele combinations) but I put a mini-toggle between the volume and tone knobs, to add the middle to whatever setting I had otherwise. This means I can have bridge, bridge/neck, and neck only, and add the middle to the above. The ONLY choice I cannot have is the middle by itself....but who does that? ;) I mainly use the middle, added to the bridge or bridge/neck, to get that Strat-ish "cluck" like Mark Knopfler or Richard Thompson.
    Writing about it now makes me REALLY want to get on it, and get that Bootstrap middle installed.... good luck with yours!

8. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

I own a telecaster plus... I use this guitar as my strat...I suggest you get a toggle switch or push pull to get the extra two tones (b+n and b+n+m)

9. Gutterguy

Gutterguy TDPRI Member

Player series Alnico 5 single coils, bridge and neck.
    Thank you

10. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Yeah I did it once..Chopper in the bridge position, Dimarzio Strat in the middle and Charlie Christian in the neck...5 way with push/pull on the Dimarzios.. Super Tele.jpg

11. Gutterguy

Gutterguy TDPRI Member

Thank you sir

12. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Ah, no. Fender has no concept of reverse taper pots. My Lefty Strat has R/H pots that were wired mirror image making them completely worthless.

After re wiring them R/H like most normal L/H guitars they are just fine now. I have no clue why anyone would think that pots have to turn in the opposite direction just because a guitar is Left Handed.

Completely beyond stupid. As a Lefty I have no problem adapting to R/H pots. Why would I have some guitars wired R/H (Gibson) and some guitars wired L/H? sounds pretty stupid to me. Thanks Fender for not understanding what I might want.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I did.
    My avatar critter once had a middle pickup.
    I took it out about 20 years ago.
    It sounded nice and Stratty, but I quit liking and using the “strat quack” sounds.
    Some folks love that sound.
    My only advice is to use a RW/RP middle pickup with a similar output to your bridge pickup.
    The RW/RP will give you hum cancellation in positions 2 & 4 of a 5 way switch.
    Good luck!

14. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I built a DIY Nashville nod with a 5 way switch a few years ago. It turned out 'meh'.

Just the other day I read about how Brent Mason's guitar is (supposedly) wired and it sounds much more interesting:
    The strat pickup and another volume knob are added. The strat pu is 'on' all the time and is just rolled on and out with its own knob.
    All pickup combinations available and sort of a strat-blending possible.

Sorry if this is old news but it was new to me and pretty clever I thought.
    (I'm eyeing my blah old Esquire right now)

brookdalebill likes this.
  15. otterhound

Lefty pots are readily available from other sources . This way , they will rotate correctly . Of course , if you are accustomed to reverse rotation it doesn't matter . We do tend to be more adaptable anyway . I have always wondered how it is feasible to wire righty pots in reverse but not lefty pots correctly .

16. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Back in late '60's-early 70's a lot of Tele players tried sticking another single-coil under their pickguards (ala' Leo's still-born Marauder) wired for "humbucking" operation only to discover they ALSO had to have reversed-polarity poles for things to work...but the pickups did add a little subtle modification even with so much distance between them and the strings.

17. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

Bought mine that way...:)

100_3092.JPG

18. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Meister

It is funny that you mention this, I just picked up a used Modern Player tele. I was one of those strange players who played on the middle pu on a strat, so when I came across a 'player' at Music Go Round, I figured why not.

19. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

That is 100% true. however my play on being left handed is that in a right handed world, something are only right handed such as the written word and volume controls. So why try to adapt things that actually work quit well left handed or right handed?

Now if you tell me I must play right handed, you will have a fight on your hands. The same fight I should have had with my dad when I was ten.

Something I really think is a total rip off is people that publish left handed chord charts. With chord charts, I have found if you visualize the R/H chart from the rear it works quit well for a lefty. Those people that publish L/H cord charts are just ripping off L/H players because you will find Zero L/H chord charts in any of the music you might want to play or learn.

After all, the world is mostly right handed so some things just need to be adapted to. Being left handed, I have no problem with that.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  20. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Try these out. Best of all worlds.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.