1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone play straight into the amp?....

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by J. Hayes, Apr 4, 2012.

1. dirtyold'68

dirtyold'68 TDPRI Member

I normally use pedals (Very few) but it sure is fun every now and then to show up with a 68 Tele and a 57 Tweed Harvard with a cord rolled up in the back and sayin "Where do you want me to put this?"

2. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I added one pedal last night...........

The bass player was going to do an old Elvis Sun record thing (That's Alright Mama) and I asked him to wait until next set. I went to the van and got my old Deluxe Memory Man delay unit and hooked it up for a more rockabilly sound. I'll probably keep using that as it enhanced some of the ballads too. In the sixties I used an old Echoplex machine and a Maestro Fuzz Tone after "Satisfaction" came out. At some point I might have to hook up a distortion box but it hasn't come to that yet. I tried overdriving the MusicMan amp but it just wouldn't do it. When I turned down the master volume and the channel volume up the amp was still clean. I have an old Rat pedal that I might add in later but that'll probably be it...........JH in Va.

3. dirtyold'68

dirtyold'68 TDPRI Member

4. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Hey d...o..68......

That's the exact model of MM amp that I have. I love this thing and will never get rid of it. Mine has the EV speakers so it weighs a ton.... Here's a shot of it...........JH in Va.

Attached Files:

5. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

By "straight into the amp" you really mean to say into a butt load of pedals right? No pedals :?: Communists!

6. dirtyold'68

dirtyold'68 TDPRI Member

Mine does also. That's what i always say "The only thing that would make this amp any better is if it were self propelled!" Yours is in a lot better shape than mine is, though. While I've got you here though, on your stand by switch, (Hi and Lo) when you switch it to low does the light dim? The reason i am asking is i tried to buy a 410 MM and when i was test driving it i switched it to low power and it dimmed. Mine does not. Mine also seems like it is not as powerful as it used to be after the lightning strike. I had it repaired at a shop in KC and it sounds fine and everything but i was just wandering if that is damaged? I'm not sure if it worked before i always just ran it in high. Are you running through both channels?!?!

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have an amp with a loop that I can put an overdrive in and a second for the multi-effects processor that has modulation, delays, reverbs, etc. But, yes, the guitar goes straight into the amp with a cable.

Really, it depends on the gig. I can play with a guitar and a cable with a tuner sitting on top the amp. I played that way for years, but I like having different OD's and a little slap-back. If I had a Tweed Deluxe type amp, I think it would be a sin to put anything else in the signal chain.

8. es125tcd

es125tcd TDPRI Member

straight into the amp, only pedal I own ia a cry baby wah- just need a good tube amp, an esquire, or p 90 gibby ,then its tone heaven - play through a1971 b series univox ( cleans) , pignose g 40 v ( bassman tone, dirty ...) , and my new baby, a 1964 epiphone ea 15rvt , 15" speaker, swampy tremolo, lush reverb, and gets nasty when its' channel jumped - 2 6v6's , loud 15 watts of tube heaven !!! this amp loves my 1959 1/2 es125tcd !!!

9. Chooseyourblues

Chooseyourblues TDPRI Member

About 4 years ago I was in a moderately successful original band. When playing live I amassed a sizeable pedalboard for no other reason that that's what I thought you did right???
    Wrong. I got so preoccupied with micro managing all the settings and if pedals were in line, in the loop, what about true bypass? All this nonsense that in reality my playing was suffering.
    What changed me was I was hankering after another guitar and had no money so I began 'ebaying' my pedals. I began with the ones I didn't really use that much, then that gave way to my 'always on' pedals... it was liberating. For dirt i just cranked the amp and began to use the tone and vol on my guitar to control my sound.
    I am now down to guitar, 20ft chord and amp and that's it. I don't even put a tuner in line. In fact my amp doesn't even have reverb, and guess what? I've learned to live without that to.
    Is my tone any purer? That's for someone else's ears to judge but I feel I can express myself better when I don't have to worry about stomping on a bunch of pedals. Also it makes you a better player, learning how to make sound from a small pallet of colours and knowing you got nowhere to hide if your playing is not spot on. No delays, reverb and overdrive and compression to make your sound for you. Just a Telecaster and a tube amp.
    Also I just love load-ins and load-outs of gigs... amp in one hand, guitar in the other. One trip to the car so to speak.
    That's how I roll.

10. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Hey d...o....68,

My light doesn't dim at all when switched to low power. I use the amp both ways as on some gigs I double on pedal steel and if strapped for room I use the MM amp and plug the steel into channel one with a delay and chorus. When I use the amp only for guitar I just use the second channel with the reverb. With the phase shifter in addition to the phasing effects you can also dial in a very usable organ sound......JH in Va.

11. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Always, into either my Twin or, especially, into my Kendrick Black Gold 15. And I use a Klotz La Grange 10 ft cable when I'm at home.

12. ronski

ronski TDPRI Member

image-1619319525.jpg

Who needs pedals ?

13. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Never but I have a Mustang amp which has so many great settings ,if you bother to find out,that i can get the sound I want anyway .

14. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Only a compressor between them. Pedal boards and other effects are for weaks. :)

15. dconeill

dconeill Tele-Afflicted

I have such a pedal, use it all the time. It's the Barber Direct Drive. Sounds just like going direct.

(kidding.)

Most of the time I don't use pedals. When I played in a big band I didn't use any pedals. Since I started listening to Bill Frisell I've been messing around with delays, without any good result so far.

16. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

Does using my HumDebugger pedal count? I have wiring/hum/buzz issues in my house. That said ... I go straight into my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe-III. I use a ToneBug Reverb going into my Egnater Tweaker, and that's that (well, the HumDebugger first).

17. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

There is one pedal on my want list.
    A good amp switcher.
    But I'm cheap so I daisy chain.

18. rhythmcaster

rhythmcaster Tele-Meister

+1

19. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Does a HumDeBugger count?

Howdy,

I suppose I may lose my status as a guitar-straight into amp guy, since recently adopting an ElectroHarmonix HumDebugger for all my single coil guitars. This "pedal" is only to reduce 60 cycle hum, though..and it does just that.

PS: My new house is horrible when it comes to 60 cycle hum. Even with the hum DeBugger, I mostly use my 335 anyway.

20. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Tele-Holic

Same here.It's a Boss CS3. All the rest is just knowing how,,and then
    just doing it :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.