1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone play straight into the amp?....

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by J. Hayes, Apr 4, 2012.

1. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

hahaha

Glad to hear it got a laugh Pondcaster.

2. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I go straight into my Peavey ValveKing.... I use the effects loop for my pedals!

3. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Martin OM-1 straight into an Epiphone Studio Acoustic. Don't laugh, it sounds good!

4. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

Hi Wireline,

To tap the external speaker output of my Pro and make it into a useful line level signal, I'm using "Tunnel of Tone". It's a patent pending design of my own. It's 100% passive, and outputs a +4db balanced signal which really makes it easy to properly drive a studio quality reverb unit's balanced inputs. ToT is mounted in a volume pedal assembly which gives the added bonus of being able to adjust the amount or effects dynamically while playing. It also provides 100% isolation from my Pro Reverb, putting a complete end to ground loop issues on the echo portion of my effects chain.

It's pretty handy, and I absolutely love the look on other players' faces when they see me plug the cable labeled "effects INPUT" right into the EXT speaker jack of a Pro Reverb. :)

Cheers,

CBG

5. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

That sounds better than perfect...when the patent comes in, let me know

6. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I tried it last year, plugged straight into my Peavey classic 30 and just had a tuner pedal in the loop... used its footswitch to go clean-dirty.

I didnt like it. For one thing, I dont really like the classic 30s dirt channel, and I dont like using the volume knob to "turn up for leads"... I've never liked the sound of a guitar unless its on 10, usually. Yeah, I've tried the treble bleed caps, didnt like them.

I'm a pedal guy.

With my marshall, I can do a gig with a tuner and an EQ pedal for solo boosts, and thats it... but thats as naked as I like to go.

7. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I have one each of the usual suspects, but not on a board or anything like that.
    I often play without them, but find them useful for multiple passes, as I usually only have one guitar, and a bit of chorus or flange can liven up a track.
    I also find that putting a pedal that is way outside your comfort zone( or set in some wacky way) in your writing rig can stimulate riffs that you can then bring "down to earth" and use.

8. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah I plug straight into my Mustang III ;) Kinda don't understand the OP...plug straight in but use reverb and phaser:confused: FX are good it's just how they're used.....!

9. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

I usually do.

10. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

With the Gries 35 I plug straight in. With the gkoelling I use a Hermida Reverb.

11. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

I plug straight into my '56 Pro, the '52 Pro, the '62 Super, '64 Vibroverb, and my Zs. They don't need anything beyond what's already there. I don't play dirty,,, at worst, with a bit of "edge.

12. ronski

ronski TDPRI Member

Absolutely ! My 57 Tele into my 59 Tweed Champ, hot and turned up to 10 . Nothing else is needed. Pure tone perfection :)

13. Zipper

Zipper TDPRI Member

Straight into 64 Twin Reverb RI, by using pickup selector and position of picking can get all the sounds that I need. Too many pedals just become to much of a distraction for me and I decided to learn to create different sound by pick attack and position above the pickups.

14. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

It would be interesting to see what kind of music those of you who plug straigth in play as opposed to us pedal heads.

Justin

15. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I mostly play blues. But also rock, AltCountry/rootsy stuff, even a touch of country. The only tones I cant cop plugging straight in are harder than old ACDC rock. Guitar/pickup choice and some minor knob tweaking yields all my needed tones. THE only time I NEED to break out the one pedal I still own(push pull comp cut FD2) is when I need maximum clean headroom with a overdriven lead tone. My Z28 has more clean headroom than any Fender Deluxe Reverb if I set it right, but then I don't have the crunch via the guitar volume knob. But I almost never need max headroom.

16. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I like to play straight to the amp. The only pedals I own are a Polytone tuner and a Ernie Ball VP Jr. They are both pretty new. The only other pedal I ever owned or used was a Crybaby Wah-wah I had back in 1975, but never liked it much.

17. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

Only with my 2266 Vintage Modern. I don't want anything to get in the way of that amps tone.

18. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

"It would be interesting to see what kind of music those of you who plug straigth in play as opposed to us pedal heads. "

Gatton, Hellecasters, Blues, made my living playing Country.

19. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

20. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Tele-Afflicted

I'm an interesting guitarist in that a lot of the music I write is totally, totally clean, and a lot of it is effects laden. Some of the music I play just wouldn't work going straight into the amp. That said, I grew up playing a guitar into nothing more than a Fender Stage Lead II amplifier. I didn't have any effects, and being a kid, I couldn't afford them. What money I did get was oftentimes spent on video games.

The Stage Lead II amp has a gain knob on it, but on the amp I played, it never really did anything. I don't know if it was broken, or what. That being the case, I played clean 100% of the time. However, I admired certain musicians who would use lots of intriguing effects, so I was definitely interested in all those sounds and exploring them, I just didn't have the resources to get effects like those, so I learned with what I had and settled with that.

That impacted the style I developed greatly. I have lots of wacky effects that are crucial to some of my music - pitchshifters, heavy reverbs, fuzz, an extremely powerful guitar synthesizer, and so on - but I still go straight into the amp a lot of the time, because I still really love unadulterated, clean guitar tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.