1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone play straight into the amp?....

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by J. Hayes, Apr 4, 2012.

1. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

After thirty years of playing with stompboxes I decided I was tired of setting up all my effects and went to the gig last night with only my Telecaster, one chord, a clip on tuner, and my old '79 MusicMan 212 amp. I'd been experimenting with just leaving the effects off and playing with them still in line but last night I just went "naked"........ I missed my compressor for a little but after the second set I felt more "liberated". The old MM amp performed great and the tone was superb with my Tele. The amp reverb sounded nice and the amp has an onboard phase shifter so I did use that a little. One song we did was Marty Robbins' "Don't Worry 'Bout Me" which has that distortion solo in the middle but I just played it as usual and added only the amp phaser and it came off pretty decent. I think I'm going to keep going this way as I played this way for a long time before the stompboxes and I think it's the way to go for now............JH in Va.

2. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I just went that route. Its much easier if you always play clean. I don't, so I had to re-amp. Sold the Twin and 8 pedals and got a Dr.Z Z28 combo. Sounds flat out amazing, but I need to get the Z Brakelite attenuated because it still is too loud at times.

I feel liberated plugging straight in. Makes you concentrate on what your playing and pick attack/dynamics instead of tone changing.

3. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

I rarely use effects, just a great amp and guitar does it for me. Sometime i'll use a stereo chorus mostly for stereo not for the chorus.

Hard to beat a brown deluxe and a strat or LP or SG cranked up

4. zoppotrump

zoppotrump Tele-Afflicted

i play straight into my SF72 Twin Reverb and have the master on 10 and the volume about 3-4
    it´s biased rather hot, so i get a very slight "hair" on the clean sound.
    i enjoy playing without thinking about my pedalboard.

5. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes...Sometimes I dont.

6. DrewB

DrewB Tele-Afflicted

I almost always plug straight in. A delay is fun to screw around with, but I'm so comfortable playing dry through a Marshall that I usually just go that route.

7. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

I play a tele straight into a brown vibroverb reissue, or a Princeton Reverb, silver face. Only used a box once,[a boss compressor], for a local TV recording of myself and one other guy on an acoustic who was singing also. For that one song, that's the only time ever live in front of a audience. It worked well. Never needed it or anything else so far. However, my amps do have great Reverb and Tremolo... For my own recordings, I use lots of effects to experiment. Our live band plays all the pre 1970 hits. After 1970... ZIP.

8. Ryan0594

Ryan0594 Tele-Holic

I play clean nearly always - the hottest I go is so the tone is really warm (neck pup) and just on the periphery of breaking up. I always have a touch of reverb on (about 25% at least) and often use really, really fast tape echo or delay. To be honest though, I count reverb, echo, delay, tremolo, compression, etc. as clean, only things that digitally manipulate the tone or distorts the amp is an effect to me....

9. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

I'm trying to do that changing guitars to get more or less drive. but in my actual band there's no way I can do it.
    Too much different tones to get in the kind of covers we do.

10. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

It's nice not to have to dance on all those pedals. I always liked to play guitar more than i liked to dance.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Almost never.

12. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Frequently, when the gig is a western swing or nuttin but straight up 2 steps...sometimes even the pick is debatable.

13. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

I plug straight into my Princeton Reverb or Vox Ac15 most of the time. ?The only thing I ever put in front of them is an EQ or slap echo.....I play blues, country, rockabilly and other roots music.

14. Tele60x

Tele60x Tele-Holic

I once had over 15 pedals. I sold all but 2. I have a DS-1 and Neo Clone. Love both.

15. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

At home I mess around with pedals. At gigs I just go straight in; just let 'er go and let 'er rip.

16. taxer

taxer Banned

It's simple math:
    Great Guitar + Great Amp = No Need For Pedals

17. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

Play my teles straight into my Crate V50 with only the mid boost on. Volume is all the way up, and I control tone with the volume knob on the guitar, sort of like a master volume. I am starting to figure out how to get different sounds with only the volume knob. Also starting to love the middle position. Occasionally I hit the OD channel, but not often.

18. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

For my basic blues/rock band I play with just guitar/amp. For my band where we do a wider variety of covers I have a pedal board with wah/comp/od/univibe/delay.

19. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

To me, the trick is plugging into an amp that is loud and clean at 6 on the guitars volume knob AND crunchy but not too much louder at 10, with a strat or tele. Then have a P90 guitar and a humbucker guitar when you need "more." If you need more. To me, pure clean ALL THE TIME is boring, unless you're Scotty Anderson good.

20. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I had a ton of pedals once. Sold 'em all but an OD, reverb and chorus pedal, use the chorus just for the fun of it and to play one Collective Soul song. Use the reverb pedal only when playing my V.C. My princeton reverb has pretty much all I need, reverb and trem.

Being that I'm in my 50's now, the big pedal board seems more silly than cool. Back when all I could play were E and A shape barre chords, I thought lots of pedals was how you impressed people.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.