Anyone Planning On Getting A Page Mirror Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by EsquireOK, May 9, 2019.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

The price was a bit much for me. I wouldn't have paid retail price for a brand new one. But at 20 percent off retail for one that was indistinguishable from brand new, it was pretty tempting. Same price as an AO, but with some advantages (namely the curvier radius and smaller frets – better for me).

2. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

no

3. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I have never GASed to buy anyone’s signature model, however I did modify my Esquire to be like Terry Kath’s complete with decals. I don’t this Terry would have allowed his personal to be copied , but I think he would have found it awesome I did it myself , as he did.

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

And I bet that given a few years, those pickups will become available via CS and perhaps the rest of the interesting feature combination will resurface in some form of '59 AVRI-type offering, for a good bit less.

I wondered that and I can't think of a single case where Fender has issued a signature guitar / artist model set of USA or Custom Shop pickups ...James Burton, Brad Paisley, Jim Adkins, Richie Kotzen, Chris Shiflett, Muddy Waters.... none of them have been released as production pickups where they were not already a standard pickup model. So I wouldn't expect them to release the Page pickups.

In any case, I think the existing Pure Vintage '58 set are great and perfect for that Jimmy Page model or someone pursuing that tone. I put them in my '59 type build I posted a pic of earlier in this thread. I doubt they are that dissimilar to the Page model.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  5. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

I've never looked into ordering anything CS, but even at those prices you can't get any fender pickups you want? That seems ridiculous to me.

Your last point is something I've wondered. I'm curious how different they really are. I've not followed this guitar much outside of peripheral interest in the mirror-less looks, so I'm unsure of the specs on the pickups, if they've even been released. But, I can't imagine they are so different from something like the PV '58 set, like you mentioned, to be worth the extra CS cost as a whole for their sound.

But, like I said, I've not super closely followed it and largely of a negative opinion on signature model stuff for my purposes. Definitely get other people loving them, though.

rze99 likes this.
  6. EsquireOK

Is there any way to get meaningful pickup measurements without taking the pickups out of the circuit?

I'm imagining that they might be slightly overwound PV '58s...which, with the right amp, could be very good.

I normally use 10s at minimum, and a majority of my guitars use 11s. However, I might be tempted to go for 9s, or 9s on top/10s on bottom.

7. rze99

What have the strings got to do with pickups in this respect?

8. EsquireOK

If the pickups on the Page are more sensitive than PV '58s, I might go for strings that are less sensitive and that ask for a lighter touch with the right/picking hand. I tend to use lighter strings on my hotter guitars.

9. EsquireOK

Well, FWIW, I picked it up today. Opened up the case, gave it a once over, and noticed they sent me a different guitar than I purchased. I had purchased a very low serial number (0007) with a practically opaque finish. They sent me a different serial with a very translucent finish. Additionally, the flip latches on the case (which is the clear-coated tweed version, BTW) don't spring open when unlatched. Didn't bother to tune it up or play it yet, though I can say that the guitar is really nicely made, and the imitation fiberboard dots look better than the ones used on AVs, since they aren't "aged." The board is nice and dark too, and the fretwork looks perfect, as does the finish work. And the guard is indeed the typical .060" white guard material, not the thicker kind that it "should" be (.080" originally, .090" closest modern equivalent).

10. EsquireOK

In case anyone was wondering about the Page pickups, they seem very spicy. Extremely dry and trebly. But that's only through my Skylark. I can probably get a better idea through one of my "actual" amps, not this old bedroom amp.

Not sure if the guitar is staying or not.

11. EsquireOK

Got the guitar cranked up a bit more through my bedroom amp ('63 Skylark). Pickups aren't so dry sounding. Getting used to the setup on the guitar and playing it better. I like it. Sweet Tele. Will be even better through my "real" rig (slightly – but not a lot – more powerful amps, with reverb and tremolo).

Still working out the details with the retailer. They will be refunding me some money, and hopefully shipping me a few extras as well, to make up for their mistake.

Here are a few quick cel phone snaps.

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

FullSizeRender-5.jpg

FullSizeRender-8.jpg

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

FullSizeRender-6.jpg

FullSizeRender-7.jpg

12. rze99

looks beautiful!

13. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

But the "poly" kills the toanz, though, am I right?

Seriously, very nice Tele. Ignore all the poly undercoat lamentations.

14. rze99

Consider it ignored: that's a pure nitro finish body on mine...

15. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister

Edited

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  16. rze99

The guitar I posted earlier in the thread that I called "mine" is a custom build by me, not a Jimmy Page Tele. That's what I was referring to.

17. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister

My mistake

18. rze99

gentle request - please would you do an NGD thread for this pics and your review it?

19. rze99

NP :)

20. EsquireOK

I will do that eventually. Thanks for the interest.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.