1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone picky about picks?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stepvan, Oct 24, 2020.

1. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

Only these in the last ten years.

[​IMG]

They tend to loose their tip quite easily, so I too, have a used pile and a new pile. But I don't give up on them easily.
    My only beef with them is that they are quite noisy, especially with heavy gain. But I rarely play with heavy gain, so.....

2. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

puddin likes this.
  3. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

The only one thing I've discovered long time ago when starting out was that if you owned one or two picks you'd lose them. And had to wait until you manage to get in the music store to buy new ones. When finally the finances where up to that you could buy a stash of them, do you think I ever lost the first one? No, nada, not a single one, on any gig, session, rehearsal... which ends up with the rule of picks:

1. The lesser of them you got, the greater the chance of losing, mislay them, or forget them. The more you have of them, the lesser you lose them.

No, not a single one ended up in the vaacum cleaner. Of course, you wore them out, but one didn't throw them away. They were kept like for a reference. I still have picks from the mid 70s. For what reason I don't know. Stone picks doesn't wear though.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

This is so true! It's like a natural law or something!

MatsEriksson likes this.
  5. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

my picks are yellow.

6. MatsEriksson

Maybe one should take the plunge and dough on ONE of those expensive Blue Chip picks. To see if I lose it in a couple of days? Just because of Murphys law.

El Tele Lobo and P Thought like this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have four left after giving one to a friend. I'm not a gigger, but if I were I wouldn't risk them in that situation. At home, though, you'd be surprised how that price tag helps a guy keep track of a pick.

MatsEriksson and El Tele Lobo like this.
  8. Blikjeham

Blikjeham TDPRI Member

I bought a Gravity Pick three-and-a-half year ago when I was on holiday in the UK. I still use that same pick, but it is getting near needing replacement. Not many Dutch shops sell them, so I would have to order one online. I'm reading this thread carefully to find an alternative.
    Does anyone have experience with Gravity Picks and can recommend something similar?

9. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

Not really.
    I've been using pointy, yellow Tortex picks for about 25 years, just because I got a few bags of em back then.
    I bought some Snark picks, recently, which I quite like the feel of.
    Not concerned about how they affect tone.

10. MatsEriksson

Since a singer songwriter friend of mine, should - at a midsummer eves party in Sweden - strum a few chords and singalongs at a small jetty where everything was set up, he dropped that blue chip pick in between the cracks of it...it was summer and a warm lake, and he even tried to take a swim and dived for it. It was just 1,5 meter deep. Not to be found.... I think I'll pass. That one helped me to not buy them...

Granted, if I count since the 70s, there's 2 picks I clearly remember I have lost, mislaid, forgotten somewhere. It was one of those commercial picks with a brandname that was given to me anyway. I do have cracked/split one stone pick though by dropping it on tiles floor in a kitchen. The other was a Per Gessle pick (one half, the guy, of the duo Roxette, if anyone remembers them, 1-2-3 hit wonders of the 90s) which I didn't care for anyway. I've even found picks in the laundry machines...forgot to get them out of the pockets...but even socks I've lost in laundry machines, but no picks evva'...

11. MatsEriksson

I remember clearly a - sort of - purgatory, dividing time, that when I clearly one day, stopped wedging any pick in between the strings near the nut on ANY guitar, and put the pick "away", I stopped losing them...weird....

12. P Thought

We have a brown-toned oriental rug that will hide a Blue Chip or tortoise pick right in front of you. It's like an Easter-egg hunt for grownups.

Some people who scorn the idea of $50 picks own single guitars that cost more than all 10 of mine put together. If I weren't so mature I would say, "Neener, Neener!"

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. MatsEriksson

How come we don't see well off artists with Blue Chip picks wedge in their mike stands, and throws them out to the audience as souvenirs?

14. MatsEriksson

Actually, not hijacking the thread. But I've actually heard that Blue Chip picks wears, eventually. Although it takes a great longer time than nylon of course (or plastic, bone, tortoise) If they had some merit they shouldn't wear at all and come unbreakable. At that price. Stone picks doesn't wear but are breakable.

15. P Thought

No one gets rich by throwing ther money away. None of my Blue Chips show any wear to speak of; one is going on 10 years since I got it.

My favorite pick brand, by the way, is Red Bear. I have about 20 of those. They do wear eventually, but so would my Porsche if I had one, so I live with it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    MatsEriksson and El Tele Lobo like this.
  16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Sort of....

Just like going overboard with GAS, amps, and more pedals than I cared for I tried a bunch of pick types. My one Blue Chip was used and I would buy more if same one time super low price - not the $35-40. I had fun getting a personalized Red Bear. Mostly I use the Wegen Bluegrass (black with holes) and for a while liked the red Jazz IIIs.

The Blue Chip is extra nice with my humbucker guitar and clean Princeton Reverb tone. Wegen is super versatile and doesn't break the bank like others. IMO worth it.

[​IMG]

17. MatsEriksson

I find it funny, when I used to work in a music shop for years, everyone that came in just "tried" picks in the dry and never brought their own guitar, or took a guitar down from the walls and tried it on how it sounded, or felt like when it touched strings. They just strummed in the air and added resistance with the other fingers... and then they came back a few weeks later and thought "naaah...they were meh"...

beats me

18. MatsEriksson

My take on stone picks, which I love, that was that if I lost them, dropped them, I could NEVER ever find anyone that was exactly the same, and the like. With the bevel, roundnes or sharpness. So if I honed in my technique with them, which took years, and I lostf them, a new one would take me another couple of years to hone in, so I have resorted to the ordinary cheap ones, that eventually wear. Jim Dunlop Stiffos black, or the obiquitous jim Dunlop jazz IIi,red ones. In this case, EJ signatures, Eric Johnsons. Not that they sound like him, but it's the old school, they're made like when they first came out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.