1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone picky about picks?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stepvan, Oct 24, 2020.

1. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

I use many for many different reasons. I even bring out the Sharkfin green ones which are the thinnest ones around, For strumming 12 strings or shimmery jangly britpop. They seem like they're made out of plastic bags. They flex and floppying big time. No fast pick!

And the other opposite end, STONE PICKS. Which are my favorites but I have a love hate relationsip. It's a heavy metal OR jazz pick as the notes just jumps out there at full volume, and it's shred time. The main thing, THEY DO NOT WEAR DOWN EVER, but you can drop them, lose them, and you will not find anything that even resembled that one you just lost. They do have inconsistent shapes. They are always no-brand, so they can't patent it. Ambiguous about them. They do not flex ever, and as such the ultimate shredder pick. Thickest tone ever...

So I use everything like that and anything in between. Yes, I am boring and confess to using Jazz III Dunlop too, the red ones. Eric Johnson signature ones. I eschew and keep boutique picks at bay like those Blue Chip picks. They actually do wear down eventually, which beats me.

stepvan likes this.
  2. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

i get along with most jazz iii/551 shapes, or teardrops. 351s are okay if they're pointy. i can't mess with picks thinner than 1mm (feel bad, don't sound meaty enough). i use my fingernails too, so i like picks that are close in sound, and easy to do hybrid picking with. i try to use softer materials like nylon and celluloid to avoid the clickyness. i also prefer worn in picks that develop a bevel to new ones, and find i can get a snappier sound the more material i remove when beveling the pick with sandpaper, so i like to just buy one model and keep a number of them that have been messed with in varying degrees.

i don't like to settle on anything i either can't buy in some stupidly large quantity for cheap or find in a local store in a bind.

when i had no idea what i was doing, i used fender 351 heavies. then i switched to black tortex jazz iii's for years. then to red jazz iii's. then dunlop jazztone 205s. then pointy nylon 351 for a short while. then back to red jazz iii's. then back to 205s. then recently i picked up fender extra heavy 551s. feels like coming full circle. i think those will be my default pick for a while.

i'm picky but as a result of changing my mind so much, or shaping my picks, nothing messes me up too much.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    stepvan and El Tele Lobo like this.
  3. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've cut my own from old credit cards and plastic milk jugs. That should answer the OP's question. :)

stepvan and SRHmusic like this.
  4. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

Recently I've been doing more lead vocals so I've changed my guitar style & picks to match, totally different, I would use thicker medium picks for just playing guitar in a band, but much lighter picks when singing as need to do more strumming / less picking / arpeggios / single notes / leads. :rolleyes:

I've got about 20 now but seem to have lost the Sharkfins, Big Stubbys & Hercos amongst a a few other favorites. :confused:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    stepvan likes this.
  5. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

For years I used the green Tortex ones, .88. Then I switched to the gray Big Stubbies, 2.0 because they felt more precise. But one day, I didn't like the tone of the Big Stubbies and I switched to a white Jazz III, also .88. Then one day, I didn't like the tone of those and I switched to a black Jazz III Max Grip, with carbon fiber. I just got some red nylon Jazz III Max Grips, which feel and sound pretty much like the black ones, and some Eric Johnson picks, which are also red nylon Jazz III's but pointier. My conclusion is that I like the Jazz III shape and that the different materials just sound different, so I have a collection on my amp.

I think once you go to Jazz III's it is hard to work with larger shapes because the motion of the pick is different. The Big Stubbies feel really awkward now. Even the Jazz III XL's feel too big. But if I were playing rhythm guitar or playing an acoustic as a singer, I might go back to the green Tortex .88s for greater strumability.

It seems to me that different picks make at least as much difference as different pickups, plus are cheaper and require no installation.

stepvan, El Tele Lobo and Drew617 like this.
  6. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Different pick materials really do make a significant change in tone, I think it is pretty much common knowledge but I think this may get overlooked at times by people when chasing a certain tone.

7. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Like a dumb bastard yes. I swear it gets seriously OCD with me. Check my avatar, thats a favorite for absolute certain.

stepvan likes this.
  8. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

90% of time it’s one of these:

24118527-CC44-42F8-ABA0-CB5F5FBA48CB.jpeg

Me likes!

stepvan likes this.
  9. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

perloid Heavy vendor doesnt matter bu for some reason I like the mother of perl over the others they are not any different but oh well

stepvan likes this.
  10. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've met "tone chasers" that obsess over guitar body wood, fingerboards, picks & strings then play through a bunch of distorted stomp boxes. :lol:

stepvan likes this.
  11. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I've worked through all of the main types and brands of picks, and can hear and feel differences and have my own choices and preferences. That being said -- I don't really give a hoot. Years ago, I changed my perspective to one where I ernjoy and do my best making music with whatever decent instrument, amp, strings, picks, etc. are in my hand. I did my time doing the other thing -- constantly trying to find the right, best, preferable pieces of equipment, and bought, sold, bought, and sold plenty. Then the light bulb went off: that's all backwards, at least for me. Sure, I like my Charmed Life Red picks for my acoustics even better than my Blue Chips, but give me a Fender Medium -- it's fine. I love my V-Pick Razers (and Master 8 1.0s) for electrics. Or... a Fender Medium is fine, too. Whatever inspires you is great, and different picks, to me, are truly different. But IMO, it's real -- but it's not very important.

El Tele Lobo, P Thought and stepvan like this.
  12. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly.

Tonetele likes this.
  13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I used to play pretty well with picks.
    Matk Knopfler came along in 1978 and I hadn't used one in many years. Stupid me. Now I have re-trained my hands graduating to a Fender heavy and play between a Dunlop 0..73 mm to a Fender heavy. I find a sturdy pick doesn't slip in your hands as easily nor the strings.

stepvan likes this.
  14. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

Just the brand. Dunlop jazz tone 204s.

El Tele Lobo and stepvan like this.
  15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

No, I’m not picky about brands but I prefer heavier picks for electric.
    I’m actually trying to use my fingers more so I’m attempting to master switching from pick to fingers while playing. I thought it would trickier to do but it’s relatively easy.

stepvan likes this.
  16. stepvan

That is something we all should probably practice more of

Doctorx33 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  17. stepvan

I have been thinking of dropping some coin on one of these to try out everyone who has them seems to like them

18. stepvan

Yeah I noticed that about the Dunlop celluloids to

19. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I'm stingy, not by choice, but because I have a limited budget for things coz I don't earn much as a public school teacher. Having pick gripping issues, I took a leap of faith and tried one. It didn't disappoint me. It offers a great grip. It has 3 sides for me to choose for whatever purpose.

20. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

For a brief moment, they made all thicknesses of those picks in red. I bought all the 1mm ones I could find. I’ve still got one so I know it wasn’t a dream.

stepvan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.