1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone picky about picks?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stepvan, Oct 24, 2020.

1. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

They're the only ones I can use without them spinning around or dropping. My fingerprints are worn off so I can't grip anything really smooth and shiny

stepvan and offsideref like this.
  2. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's my "herd of turtles":

herd of turtles.jpg

stepvan and El Tele Lobo like this.
  3. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

Dunlop large thumb picks. Easiest way I found to switch between fingerpicking and flat picking.

I'd be lost without them!

upload_2020-10-24_13-43-15.png

stepvan likes this.
  4. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ve been using Dunlap Ultex picks for years. Later, I discover the “Sharp” ones, and I have been hooked ever since. I do seem to keep going to thicker Ultex Sharp Picks. When I play guitar, and have a pick option, it’s always these.

F336BC8E-0B38-440A-BB81-C068567ED949.png

stepvan, SRHmusic and Drew617 like this.
  5. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have few of the Fender Heavy picks kicking around not bad but not my first choice. I always used to use Fender mediums, but the problem I developed with those was the celluloid was too slippery for my grip as I progress in life i.e. getting older and they would either rotate or fall into the world of lost picks, socks and couch cushion pocket change

stratoman1 likes this.
  6. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I' ve scene those pick makers and have thought about getting one but never pulled the tr

7. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I have some favorites, but am not necessarily picky, I'll play with anything...heck, even picks made from credit cards with my PickPunch are OK....I do love a certain metal Ice-Pix pick, forget the gauge, but it's flexible and I believe it's brass...or copper, I dunno....am fixin' to order some more

stepvan likes this.
  8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Fender Heavy for me. I'll score the grip area with a knife to help keep it from sliding.

stepvan likes this.
  9. SLICKFASTER

SLICKFASTER TDPRI Member

image.jpg Got to be Green and have a Turtle on em .88

stepvan likes this.
  10. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

Fender Heavy for many years. Used to buy them by the gross. I've pretty much switched to .96 mm Dunlops last couple of years. I will use a heavier pick on a archtop with heavy strings.

stepvan likes this.
  11. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

When I started playing guitar I used a Fender medium, occasionally a thin. At some point in the late seventies when I got proficient playing lead guitar I switched to a Fender Heavy. It gives me more precision and control when playing leads because it doesn't bend.

Been using heavy picks ever since. Fender tortoise, or something similar, and I like the Dunlop's too, they last longer than the Fenders.

stepvan likes this.
  12. FenderBenderNY

FenderBenderNY TDPRI Member

I’m fairly picky about my picks. On my Tele I like Dunlop nylon, anywhere between the next to thinnest (.46) up to the .73 (I think?) or Gibson heavy triangles. On mandolin or for flatpicking I like either real tortoise shell, bluechip, or a primetone.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

In a perfect world it's the Moshay largest you can get-area wise and thickness wise. I first came upon them at a store called World of Strings in Long Beach. They were more based in acoustic instruments of all kind back in the seventies and into 80s I guess they branched into electrics also. They had a band that played at the bluesgrass festival. I think they were invented by a mandolin player which would make sense because they're great for the fast double picking like I used to accompany my father with on mandolin and guitar like Marty Robbins and Spanish tunes with the sort of Italian style of fast picking one and two strings to approximate a violin. The combination of the hole that helps me not fling it, and the thickness and stiffness-it's like the closest thing to fingers sound wise I think. The real Moshay is the black one in the middle, the clear / white one at about 5:00 is when I hastily cut at a gig and scraped on the sidewalk and the blue one was one I fashioned in my old shop but it's a wrong kind of nylon it gives too much.

As the price has gone up on them I started making my own out of separators from parts
    drawers... Like fishing tackle boxes or whatever nylon separators. I invite anyone that has a problem losing pics while you're playing to drill holes in them like that, hell as I get older I'm going to start tying a string on them.

Attached Files:

14. dragonfire709

dragonfire709 TDPRI Member

I like the blue ones.

Cheers

Roy

15. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

I've got some 1.0s that I use as backups but I didn't know they made a 2.0 I got to check into that

SRHmusic and gridlock like this.
  16. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What I prefer & what I end up using are usually two different things. I prefer stone (I have a particular jasper specimen I am fond of), but they can be real tough on the strings. I commonly use Fender thick, common plectrum shape. I think the one I am using now is blue tortoise. I absolutely do not care for anything real bendy or too small to handle.

17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm picky about picks in general, as well as in this way.

Regarding the general "pickiness," I have made my own picks for years. And I've settled now on a material of choice for guitar picks: high pressure laminate material, as in countertop material. It's a hair under 1 mm thick, and really stiff, which I like. And it's fairly durable, but after a couple of months (give or take) of regular use, the side and point wears down. Which brings me to the tone/feel category...

I haven't focused as much on tone differences, but these worn edges/points definitely feel different to me, and so I retire them. But I don't throw them away, at least not immediately. I won't gig with the worn ones, but I will keep them on my amps in my man cave.

stepvan likes this.
  18. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

[​IMG]

Oddly enough I don't think they make my style anymore. I have a small collection of Tortex 2.0 that I'm hoarding.

I like the stiff ones. They give me a rounder tone without all that slappy slippy noise when you're strumming or grinding.
    Plus the attack on the string is immediate. No bending or scrapping

SRHmusic likes this.
  19. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

The older I get and longer I've been playing, the more I find that my ability depends on a known, specific pick. I'm not sure if that's me getting better and more precise, or me becoming inflexible and lazy:

Most things: Dunlop Jazz III XL Ultex (stiffo nylon OK in a pinch, but the attack's weaker.)

Attempts at Jazz and Roy Buchanan: Dunlop Jazz III Max-grip CF. I can be really precise with these but they're too little for me to do much rhythm with. Unintentionally useful for easy pinch harmonics.

Chuck Berry or Bob Weir: Fender 351 medium.​

stepvan and El Tele Lobo like this.
  20. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Currently and for many years, Dunlop Tortex Blue which I think are excellent picks. Used Orange back in my early years and for a time Yellow. I pick on the shoulders, not the pointy part. And I always have the Dunlop stamp touching my thumb.

stepvan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.