1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone picky about picks?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stepvan, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

Not too picky, but I've been experimenting a lot lately. I had been using the super-thin red Dunlops, but have gone to the thicker .88 and 1.14. I've also been putting a Fender "extra heavy" triangle pick into the mix that I found on the street back in the late 1970s. Seems to be easier to grip.

[​IMG]

I'm trying different picks because my playing has gotten a lot better during the pandemic. The thin picks weren't working for some of the more complex stuff. I've had to make some other adjustments, but overall I'm enjoying trying different picks.

stepvan likes this.
  2. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I use only these because I'm used to them and they last forever. Before the max-grip came out I used the older version. Been using Dunlop nylon picks for around 35 years and lose them before I wear them out - very durable.

max grip.jpeg

stepvan likes this.
  3. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

I prefer Dunlop tortex.
    Orange .60 with the jazz combo~
    Yellow .73 with my old hillbilly band or when playing with a blues band.
    Think the pick just works better with jazz stuff, probably because I play with a lighter touch.
    On acoustic any heavy pick will do;)

stepvan likes this.
  4. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

when I use a pick it is always a PickBoy .8 mm stainless; been using this pick for over 10 years :D

I have some Fernandes .8 mm stainless as backups but my PickBoy hasn't worn out yet :cool:

PB pick.jpg

stepvan and El Tele Lobo like this.
  5. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like the Dunlop Ultex Jazz III picks when I use a pick.

stepvan and El Tele Lobo like this.
  6. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

As long as it's a red Jazz III, it's good with me. Nothing else will do, or even come close.

stepvan, DaveGo and Controller like this.
  7. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Nope. Pretty much anything resembling one works as a pick as long as its around 1mm +-. I usually buy the Fender Tortoise shell looking ones just because they dont look to “blingy”.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    stepvan likes this.
  8. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jim Dunlop tortex 500 1.5mm

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 16.24.59.png

9. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I like them to be thick (1mm). I used to use the graphite Modulus picks but they don't make them anymore. Now I use the orange Snarling Dogs picks with the little bumps on them. I haven't found anything that I like better and I've tried a lot of different picks.

stepvan likes this.
  10. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I used these in the 80's, went through every other pick in the universe, then returned to these last year.
    21R8ciUPGzL.jpg

stepvan likes this.
  11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

me too. Dunlop .73 Nylon with the grippy surface. They wear but will last a couple gigs.

stepvan likes this.
  12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Eversince I tried Dragonsheart picks, I could not go back to the regular ones.

[​IMG]

I am not an endorser.

stepvan likes this.
  13. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

My initial reaction to the OP, was no. The I realized I prefer a thin flexible pick for acoustic; a smaller, thicker, rounder edged pick for jazz (like a JazzTone 204); and a smaller, pointier, medium-thick pick (like a Jazz III) for everything else.

14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a plethora of picks scattered all over my house.

Often times when I'm in a music store, I will buy random assortments to add to my Menagire.

trancedental likes this.
  15. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

These days, it’s gotta be Fender heavies in the #346 shape for me:

upload_2020-10-24_11-10-3.jpeg

The larger size makes fast picking a little trickier, but the good tradeoff is since my older hands are stiffer, they are easier to hold onto and they don’t seem to wear quickly despite my heavy-handed playing on .011s. I’m one of those “need to push against high-ish action” guys. I like the sound of the picked notes against the finger-plucked notes, too. I have an Ultex pick in that shape and don’t like it, because the picked notes have a very sharp attack compared to the plucked notes. The 346 heavies have a rounder attack.

They come in a white material too and I like it also, but it seems to wear faster for me.

16. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Meister

Does anybody go cuckoo for collecting different picks?

smoothrecluse likes this.
  17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I own 20+ Guitars.
    I know exactly what you mean.

18. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Every few years I go through a "find a new pick" phase. I should post a bag of these for sale.. lots of Jazz III sizes that I'm not using.

For a while I really liked the PrimeTone 2mm picks, but found they don't work for me for sweeps (working on economy and sweep picking, not great at it), and they wear down to a soft, blunt edge.

I've been using Dunlop Ultex 2.0mm picks for about a year now. These have a taper closer to a Jazz III, but are a larger size. They taper in thickness, as well, though I think a little more thickness at the tip would be good. These hardly wear at all.

For acoustic, I'm set on Clayton 0.8mm picks (and phosphor bronze strings, no coating). They give enough to get a really nice sound, any thicker and the higher harmonics are gone (deader sounding).

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

For years I used only Fender or Dunlop extra-heavies, because I liked their tone. But I also struggled with the picks rotating in my fingers to the point where I'd start missing strings if I didn't readjust my grip constantly - like every 10 seconds or so, which was annoying to say the least.

About a month ago I found a Fender medium pick in a box of music books from the 1970s. Out of curiosity, I played with it. After a couple minutes, I realized, "hey, I haven't had to spin this pick back into position this whole time." The more I played with it, the more impressed I became with how the pick just stayed put in my fingers or needed only tiny, occasional readjustment.

So I went out and bought a bag of Fender mediums, and I've been using them ever since. I still slightly prefer the smoother attack of an extra-heavy pick, but that doesn't begin to outweigh how delighted I am over being rid of the constant battle to keep the pick pointed toward the strings. I'm totally gobsmacked at what a huge difference 0.27 millimeters made.

20. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Vastly different picks for different licks—

For most playing, I've settled on a thick, massive pick I made from mammoth ivory. I found that the extra mass just imparts more energy to the string, so that even with light picking, the tone has more "body," and digging in brings out the best. An important factor is the shape of the tip; a rounded tip has a softer attack, and a pointy tip has a brighter attack. So I filed the tip to just how I like it.

For country-style Tele twangin' I usually use a somewhat thinner ivory pick, still fairly massive, but with a thinner tip end; that makes it a little better for the bright, snappy tone I typically seek from a Tele.

Before I went to ivory, for several years I was using the triangular 1mm Claytons, on just about everything.

For baritone electric I found that a Fender Medium type pick sounds best. And with the baritone, it really makes a big difference. The really thick ivory picks just don't get the attack I want from baritone, and after trying everything else—I've accumulated a decent pick collection—I settled on the standard medium for that application.

For 12-string electric (and acoustic) it's strictly a thin, flexible, regular celluloid pick for the sparkly tonez; thicker picks just don't strike the octave strings the way the thin ones do—and again it's a huge difference (try it!). So I always have a couple thins out for when I pick up the twelve. I do find I can't dig in much with a flimsy pick, but my 12-string playing doesn't really call for it.

I think pick choices are all quite subjective, and depends on a player's style, etc. But I'd argue that some choices are empirically superior sounding, like the thin pick on a 12-string for maximum sparkle.

trancedental likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.