Anyone own a Kustom Coupe?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DrThunder, Jul 8, 2019.

1. DrThunder

DrThunder TDPRI Member

I've had a 36 for a while and have been LOVING it with my hollowbody Gretsch, but haven't hit the sweet spot with my new tele on it yet, anyone have some settings they recommend? Tips? Did you swap the speaker in yours or keep it stock?

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I don’t own one, but I love the looks; the one I heard in action sounded good, albeit with a Les Paul Junior.

DrThunder likes this.
  3. DrThunder

DrThunder TDPRI Member

Haha yeah, it first caught my eye because I have matching blue tuck and roll Kustom pa speakers, then I plugged in and had to buy it...local shop owner sold it new in 06 and got it back in, and he still had all the promo posters and stuff he threw in, couldn't resist

4. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations! I loved my Kustom '36 Coupe.

This is the amp that got me to sell my '60's, vintage Fenders. I replaced the speaker with an Eminence Lil' Texas. This made the amp lighter, louder and more Fender sounding. The best power tubes that I found for it are Svetlana 6L6SVT Hard Blue's. Although they vary from one run to the next.

[​IMG]

DrThunder likes this.
  5. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

I still have a 72 Coupe 212.

I gigged it with a Tele with Texas Special pickups for about 3 years pretty solid.

My settings were on the clean channel with the bright volume knob pulled up (bright on) and all the tone controls were usually about straight up noon or within the ^ marks in the 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock positions. Volume around 1-2 o'clock with the master set to the situation I was playing in.

I generally played my tele in the middle position with a tube screamer for a little extra drive when needed. Those settings with the bridge position could be a little bright but not an unusable brightness.

I kept the original speakers in for the most part but I did try some Eminence Texas Heat speakers with good results but the reason I kept the stock KEI speakers was because the line out was voiced to those speakers and its a spot on replication. Best line out that complimented the amp I have ever tried. So it eliminated the need to mic it up and the less stuff I had to carry to a gig the better. They aren't the worst speakers. I think they're better than the stock Jensen speakers that came in my Twin Reverb Reissue.

I don't use the amp much anymore but it's not because I dislike it or the sound. I'm kinda digging EL 84 amps as of the last 4-5 years but when I want that Fender Blackface tone but with more flexibility I go to my Coupe over my Twin Reverb everytime.

DrThunder likes this.
  6. DrThunder

DrThunder TDPRI Member

wow! great info guys! thanks a ton! ill try those settings out tomorrow...I read a lot of guys swap out the speaker for either the lil Texas or the Cannibis Rex...i also dont "hate" the speaker necessarily, but thought a lil warmer tone for the tele might help. Thanks again for the input fellas, exactly what i was hoping for

edit: I also have a strat copy with texas specials in it...hadnt even thought of trying that out on here, been so obsessed with the Gretsch and Tele...may need to do some fiddling this week hahaha

Chicago Slim and Les H like this.
  7. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

If you don't have the manual I recommend downloading it.

The tone controls are interactive so for example turning down the bass also raises the treble frequency and vice versa. They can be touchy and a little movement can make a drastic difference. It's the only amp I've owned where the flat eq setting sounded the best in my opinion at least with single coils. However when I used humbucker equipped guitars I thought higher treble and mid settings sounded better.

DrThunder likes this.
  8. DrThunder

DrThunder TDPRI Member

interesting, ill download it, thanks

9. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

CHarg and DrThunder like this.
  10. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

Good gracious, dudes can PLAY.

oh, and the amp sounds nice too.

DrThunder likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.