Anyone own a 2019 Gibson ES-335 Studio, Dot, or Figured?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by jannodude, Sep 9, 2019.

1. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

I’m doing some research and I wanted opinions of folks that either own one or played one for quite some time.

What are your experiences with the guitar? Any issues that were apparent?
    Were there things that you liked or disliked?

Thanks in advance,
    Jan

2. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

Sorry, nor recent ES335 for me : 1980, my 1st serious guitar... And Lefty, moreover... :oops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMHO, you can't go wrong with an ES-335 - from any year... I consider it the best guitar issued by Gibson ever - over the Les Paul and its numerous / obscure variants, because it was never discontinued, and stayed nearly the same.

But it's me, OK ? :D

bftfender, jannodude and Matthias like this.
  3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Funny, I have the opposite impression -- always loved the shape & sound but some of them are alive & some dead as a doornail & I haven't cracked the code to tell one from the other except for playing them for a while. The one I should have never let go was a '67 Epi Riviera, dinged up all to hell and electronically suspect but light & resonant & alive. Just sold a recent one that I was wrestling with to get a decent sound. On paper it should have been a good guitar.

jannodude and Piggy Stu like this.
  4. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

bftfender and jannodude like this.
  5. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

Interesting, I’ve read from a few owners mentioning that there are big differences in tone from identical models ES-335 demoed in their local store. Some were livelier and some were duller! I also read that some of the newer “Memphis” models have some quality issues (not surprising as this is common for all brands).

6. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I have a Memphis made Custom Shop Historic Burst 63 ES335 from around 2006. It's the most resonant model I'd come across after playing about 15 different models from various recent years. Here is my experience from trying various models:

Price range $1500-$2k - chunky square shaped necks with flat backs. None of these had any particular magic.
    $2k-2.7k - much more resonant but the same type necks. Mostly production models
    $2.7 - $3.5k - these are where the thin necks and resonant models, as well as lighter weight ones are found. Historic or custom shop models, used, were my target and I found a really good one.

Pros: It's a 335 and when you find the right one, you will know why these are sought after. They sing either played into an amp or practicing without one.

Cons: Surface checks. Mine has one. Not a show stopper mind you if the tone and sustain is there.

jannodude likes this.
  7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Love a 335..have a korean dot modded up-pots , hand wound pups ect..think have bout 10 Gibson's now & a 335 can do it all...get your pick ups right for your needs...chords(full) strums like an acoustic...leads--just so much personality

jannodude likes this.
  8. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I just got a 2018 ES 330 Satin, which is quote low-rent by Gibson hollowbody standards. They were clearly using up extra parts in the design--it has burstbuckers, not P90s.

Still it's a really well made guitar that sounds good and is a pleasure to play.

jannodude likes this.
  9. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

I’m leaning towards a satin model of myself. I’m going to save up the funds for one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.