Anyone out there digging and gigging the old Line 6 Pod XT Live?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by bossfrog, Apr 5, 2020.

1. bossfrog

bossfrog TDPRI Member

I know this is kinda long but please read?

Okay, this is a topic I never envisioned starting 24 hours ago, but hear me out on this. I came across a guy on FB selling a Marshall AVT 275. So I contacted him and he had already sold it. But he said he had some "other stuff" to trade, so I bit. What he had was a Crate GT1200H head, a Marshall 8412 cab (Made in Britain) and a Line 6 POD XT Live. Well, never was a great fan of Crate's SS stuff and I remembered once having a POD XT bean and not liking it much, but I was definitely interested in the Marshall cab. So I asked what he wanted and he said a guitar of some kind. All I had was my PRS SE Standard and a Jackson JS22. The PRS is never leaving my possession, so I offered him the JS22. Anyway, long story short, I ended up trading the JS22 with a gig bag and some old pickups out of a Squier Standard Strat I used to have for the Crate, Marshall and Line 6. My plan was to install a speaker out on my Katana 100 and use it with the cab and then sell the rest of it.

Well, when I got it all home, I decided to hook it all up and started playing with the POD XT into the FX return on the Crate. Sounded HORRIBLE. All fizz and no body or depth. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I didn't remember it being THAT bad. So I did a factory reset and whatever setting was screwy was all good. Of course, Line 6 is infamous for awful presets so I started fiddling around with making patches from scratch.

After spending about an hour with it, I was able to put together a few patches, one with the Twin Reverb model, one with the jumpered Plexi model and one with the AC30TB model and they sounded GREAT! The sounds are responsive to picking dynamics and the guitar's volume and I was able to get one of the best blues sounds I've gotten from a modeler, and I've tried about all of them under $500 at one point or another. I do NOT remember my POD XT bean from 16 years ago sounding anything like this! The best part was even cranking the volume on it, the sound never did get shrill or thin. It got BALLSY.

So here I am and I'm like WTF? I thought maybe it's all about the cab, so I rigged up a cable from my Katana 100 and it just didn't match the POD XT at all. So here I am now, absolutely stunned by idea that I'm actually considering selling the Katana now and keeping the Line 6/Crate/Marshall setup. That's why I'm on here to see if I've simply gone insane or are there others out there, quietly still loving their POD XT Live? Is the XT Live really that much of a different animal that the XT bean? I honestly don't know if I'm losing my marbles or what but I'm starting to love this thing and I've always HATED every Line 6 product I've tried except for my buddy's Helix.

9fears08 likes this.
  2. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Your recent experience with an XT live has been my experience with Line 6 products since the original bean was introduced in '99. I always got a warm, dynamic tone from those products.

Currently I use a Helix live direct to FOH/Monitors and an XT Live is my backup rig. Before the Helix I used an HD500, before that an X3 live, and before that I had an original Bean that I used in the studio.

IME that is a given for any manufacturer ;). I don't believe I have ever used a preset tone in my life! The first thing I do with any modeler or multi-fx is create my own template and replace every existing preset with that one. It stops unwanted surprises if I overshoot a bank, and it gives me a familiar layout so I can quickly dial in new tones as needed.

IMO, the Jumped Plexi and AC30TB are my favorite amp models in the XT. For the Fender tone I prefer the Deluxe over the Twin model but that's just me :)

3. bossfrog

bossfrog TDPRI Member

But see, I can't say the same about Line 6 in general. I've always given their stuff a chance and walked away disappointed. The Spider amps have always been just bad, IMO. I'll admit the Spider V is a big step in the right direction for them, but it takes too much fiddling with the parametric EQ and in the end it still sounds like listening to someone play an amp over the radio to me.

I think the conclusion I'm finding is that the XT and Crate power amp just go really well together. If the Katana had an FX loop I'd try that into the Crate but no dice there.

I will take back one thing I said before. This combo is not better than the Vox AD60VTX I had in 2007. That thing was amazing when cranked up.

4. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

The Live floorboard was the best Line6 product that I've owned. I recorded a fair bit, and went to blues jams.

But once a fellow jammer said "you're too good to be playing out of that phoney Live". That set me back, it was a compliment and a huge put down at the same time.
    But he implanted the thought in my head and in a month I was playing a Fender Supersonic with my Zendrive 2, which I did like much more. But that amp forever hurt my sciatica nerve, pain like I've never experienced. I'm ok now but I still feel the threat so no more heavy amps. I sold the Live to one of my students and he loves it. A year later realised this blues jammer was in love, devoted, defensive of his Peavey Viper. Nothing, not even the Kemper I bought was better than his Viper. I eventually put space between us.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  5. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I don't know what type of tone you're shooting for, but in my experience the acoustic mode is not a bad way to plug in a modeler. It's pretty transparent.

6. bossfrog

bossfrog TDPRI Member

Acoustic mode? I'm not sure what you mean by that. I know acoustic amps and keyboards amps, which are more or less small self-contained PA systems are great for modelers. The GT1200H doesn't have an acoustic mode. The Katana does, you mean keep the Katana and use the acoustic mode to plug the XT into?

7. bossfrog

bossfrog TDPRI Member

Really? The Vypyr? I never could get past the fact that all the models basically sounded the same to me with different EQ settings applied. I always thought it sounded like a Bandit with an EQ in the loop, which tended to add some fizz. I ended up buying a Bandit and think it sounds so much better.

ASATKat likes this.
  8. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I used to use an XT Live at church. I’ve since replaced it with a Helix, and donated the XT Live unit itself to the church for “guest” guitarists and as a backup rig. I found it a solid unit, and it worked fine for what I needed it for. And yes, very few of the factory presets made me happy, but I was able to tweak out sounds that were better. And, to be fair, I have had to tweak the Helix as well to get the tones I want.

9. schmintan

schmintan Tele-Meister

what speaker do you use with your XT Live or helix?

10. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I still use my Line 6 Pod XT live floorboard as an interface for recording into a DAW for recording at home ever since I bought it back when it was new.:)

I've thought about about changing it for the newer more bells & whistles models but this XT live does everything I could possibly want. It's a great piece of hardware and I actually like uploading tones out of Line 6 Custom Tone library & tweaking them to my taste.

11. codamedia

I'm not sure who your are asking, but since I use a Helix and an XT Live is my backup I'll add my 2 cents ;)

The majority of the time I am direct to FOH/Monitors... no amps, no cabs. On some tours the monitors are in-ears.

This only works if the monitor system meets a standard of quality and has individual mixes for each member in the band. For the shows that can't meet that standard, I do have a pseudo FRFR that gets me through the gig. It's a Peavey Bandit Silverstripe loaded with an Eminence BETA 12LTA COAX (full range) speaker. I plug into the effect return input... not the front end of the amp. It's more like a traditional monitor, not a guitar cab.

schmintan likes this.
  12. schmintan

schmintan Tele-Meister

That's what I need to know, what monitor are you using? I had a kine 6 a long time ago, and had it into a flat stage monitor. Was cheapish, loud and decent quality. Just wondering what brands and models guys here use.

13. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

Keep in mind there's a setting in the PODxt to tell it if you're connecting directly to a power amp, which is what you're doing if you're going into the return jack on the back of your crate amp. It makes a huge difference in the tones you will get with that setup. Make sure you get that right. I ran mine into the back of a Crate GX-120C (if I recall the model name correctly).

I used a PODxt for years in the early 2000's, and I never thought they deserved the hate. I thought it was quite good, at least back then.

14. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I think most high end MFX since the pod 2 when plugged in to a real amp could be made to sound pretty good.

The amp and the cabinet give it the "proper" amp in the room sound and feel and in my opinion was the "room for improvemnt" section.

I stand to be corrected here but feel the biggest gains in the past few years have been in the Cab modelling (with good IR, Kemper with the full modelling) etc. and Effects. Obviousley some amp modelling progress but not as much as the rest of the chain.....

So the XT Live in to a real cabinet sounding good is no surprise to me.

The Digitech RP 1000 that was my mainstay (in to an AC30) has departed for a Helix LT and it took a while but I love it, modelling and all.

15. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

I had the bean back in the day. Their amps always sounded like pure garbage, but the stand alone units always seemed decent to me. I’d definitely choose that over the Katana any day of the week.

jh

16. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

Years ago I ran one with a Carvin power amp (75 watts mono) into a Line 6 1x12, and it sounded really good actually.

I think the key was the line 6 cab (Flextone III, which I think was bigger than their previous 1x12s), since it seemed to be voiced especially for the POD XT. Made it really flexible and had some nice girth to the tone, just a nice full range sound without imparting too much character, basically like my own PA.

But yeah, I liked my POD XT quite a bit then. I could probably get some decent tones out of it still if I had one.

17. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

I gigged the Bass PODxt rack mount for a number of years...got some nice sounds out of it as I was familiar with the interface and wasn’t afraid to turn the knobs (as others have said). But, it got noisy on me so I had to dump it. Well out of warranty and not worth what was asked to repair it.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The reason you don't remember the POD sounding so good before and now it does ... you're a much better guitar player and more experienced as a "dialer inner" of the tone you want.
    Also, the amps and cabs in the old days were reviewed and graded on their distortion channels. More players today are using them to just give a boring but loud clean while getting all the tones out of fantastic modern pedals. Peavey Bandits have had a resurgence and Crate is kind of where Peavey had been -- undiscovered inexpensive gems.

Andertons did a comparison including a POD and Lee makes some good comments between 18 and 25 minutes regarding them "just make an updated POD"

Ola took a swing at the POD as well ...

codamedia likes this.
  19. codamedia

People often overlook this very important development in one's abilities.

20. bossfrog

bossfrog TDPRI Member

Probably a lot of truth right there. I'm never going to be a shredder (nor do I care to be) but I've developed a lot more dynamic nuance in my playing and that may be a big part of it. I do think ultimately it has a LOT to do with the combination of the XT, the GT1200H power amp and the 8412 cab. It's clear that those 3 elements work extremely well together.

I did see Ola's chug video a couple weeks ago. But I don't think the XT ever had a problem with that kind of sound. It was always the classic rock tones that disappointed me. I mean it still doesn't break up anything like a tube amp, so from a "feel" perspective it's not there, but as a listener, it's close enough. I never thought that 13 years ago.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.